Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn

Started by Sgtcole [1996434] on in General Discussion.

22 replies · 393 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
37 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
55 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Sgtcole [1996434]

why do you think this game is so addictive? It's only words so it's basically reading an interactive book
Cartis [1868288]

It isn't. The game itself is bland apart from wars. I mostly play for the community within my faction and the few friends I've made outside of the faction.
Stuie123 [867397]

Wouldn't say that it's addictive, necessarily. It's simple, easy to pick up and play, repetitive, has small rewards that accumulate over time, with lots of goals, and a decent community if you go looking for it. I don't really play that much anymore, but I'll come back every now and then to see what's happening.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

Torn really isn't that addictive, no one really plays for the "game" right now I play for the people, there's a lot of cool people that I like talking with in the game and they're the reason I continue to log in.

Removing those players would give me no reason to log in, I'd end up quitting. I imagine most people are in the same shoes as me.

edit: there's also the catch 22 of having invested so much time into the game that if you don't continue to invest more time then it would have been a waste of time.
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

Second edit : Bah! Marlon! i thought i just posted on the other thread! Confuzzling me!

to sum up post before the edits : i get easily addicted to stuff, and torn has plenty to click and i read forums far too much here and i like talking to people and when warring very active and when want to make more money i play on item market and i could get addicted to screensavers too.
manic [1554958]

It's addictive because I get to guess what threads are by their cryptic subject headings.
LDP [1580562]

You do this too? I've been off with my guesses lately. I assumed this would about how we found the game, had it wrong this time around.
Hopslam [795412]

When you log in to Torn, a invisible unscented secretion is emitted on your keyboard/touchscreen that causes a chemical reaction in your body that makes you want more, so you subconsciously log in more without thinking..... pretty simple really.
Amicus [2004799]

There was a big study on why video games are addictive and it basically comes down to very simple work and reward ethics.
If I open a 'loot box' 100 times and get 100 rewards from it, I stop opening until i need to, ruining the enjoyment of the game. If I open it 100 times and only get 35 rewards from it, i will open that box every second of every day because WHO KNOWS WHEN THE NEXT REWARD COMES!

The study was tested on rats. Give rats a button, that if they press, food is dropped. If it's dropped every time, the rat will only press when it's hungry. If it drops 1 in every 5, the rat presses the button non-stop.

WoW works because if you complete a dungeon run, you might not get that ultra-rare drop you want desperately, so you have to come on the next night to try again.

Torn works because every time I spin that little disc, I want the PI. Every time I start a war, I want to win. But it's not always for sure. Which is why it's about game balance. Not giving everything, but giving enough.
Also why city finds are talked about so much, it's the pure essence of this theory.