Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Diving for Treasure

Started by OhItsGreenNow [1959046] on in Suggestions.

77 replies · 915 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 78 / 78 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
78
Discussion span
→
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
51 / 100
Story score
65 / 100
Engagement score
77 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

OhItsGreenNow [1959046]
some time has passed so i thought i would give it another go :) maybe this time he will go for it...lol


Diving For Treasure/City Finds has reached 100 likes. Thank you all for possibly making this part of the game. I guess it's time to hurry up and wait. Please feel free to keep bumping and liking. Thank You!!

I haven't seen this floating around the forums so here goes.....

Like "Hunting" in S. Africa, add scuba diving to the Caymans a current location or creating a new location with this as an added feature. To unlock this, you would need to take the swimming and the sailing education courses found under health/fitness. You would also have to either own a yacht or charter a boat (for a cost). Luke6722 suggested that adding Australia as a new travel location with scuba diving there. I like this better than the caymans, see his post below.

It would take 5 or 10 energy, 5 for a shallow dive and 10 for a deep dive.You would have to increase diving skill to safely dive at deep depths. Diving deep too early could result in the bends and hospital time in the caymans (nothing crazy, 15-20 minutes).

Equiping scuba gear; snorkel, gloves, suit, and flippers, would give you a diving bonus as well as owning items such as the sextant. A find is guaranteed every dive (unless it kills the economy) but the quality depends on awareness, depth of dive, gear, and diving skill (which would increase per dive). So potentially, you could dive 10 times, come up with 9 bars of soap and an empty box. But with max awareness you could find books or stat enhancers.

That's about it...

*please bump if you like

--------------------------------------------------

Since the thread is approaching 100 likes, i thought I would consolidate some of thoughts and maybe a slight update on diving.

The Caymans didnt seem to go over well as a spot for diving. However, ice fishing in Switzerland seems to be liked and my personal favorite, Australia. Although, that would also involve creating a new location altogether. Hawaii also seemed to be a logical choice for something like this. But really, just about anywhere could work for diving. They would all have their ups and downs.

As far as the dives themselves, I've put some thought in to some more of the details:
- At least two levels.
Snorkeling -- 5 energy -- 0 diving skill needed for safety
Shallow Dive -- 5 energy -- 10 diving skill needed for safety
Deep Sea -- 10 energy -- 20 diving skill needed for safety; must own a yacht, must hire a guide (same cost as charter)
I know that seems like an unfair disadvantage to those that do not own yachts, but when someone drops close to 1b on something, you'd kind of like to get a little more than 500 happy out of it. jmho

- The cost to charter a boat would probably be $500, same as hunting. Maybe $1000, depending on what kind of finds they end up being.
- Scuba gear; snorkel, diving suit, etc. would grant you an additional .5 diving skill when worn. This would be a potential bonus of 2.5 DS.
- You don't need to have any DS(diving skill) to dive at any of the levels, but the lower your skill, the more likely you could be hospitalized.
- Your DS should play a factor in the type of finds you find.

Owned items that improve diving skill: Compass, Sextant, Harpoon, Spear, Ship in a Bottle(only with yacht), Glow Stick, and Peg Leg.

Thanks for all the positive comments about this suggestion! With all the new additions in Torn, I would love to see this become a part of them.
OhItsGreenNow [1959046]

For sure, i feel like all of the variable would have to come into play. Especially diving skill. That's why I was hesitant to put guaranteed find every dive. I don't want to play a part in crashing the item market in the same way that the point market went back down.

I've seen a few threads about fishing, maybe there is a way to tie the two together. What if, with a harpoon you could go "fishing" while on the dive. It would help build your dive skill (maybe hunt skill too?) until you're good enough to find items. At least that way it wouldn't be a bunch of "crap" filling up the dump and the item market.
Mlkey [1915577]

I like the though of diving for items just like you can hunt for money Although the Cayman Island would seem like the natural place to have it . I think it would be better to have it in Hawaii to give people more of a reason to go t , since people already go to the Caymans often enough for banking
Ominos [1962593]

I think the same. Totally need more energy spending activites but I don't think Cayman Islands is one of them.

Maybe Switzerland. It sounds weird but ice diving is a thing :P
OhItsGreenNow [1959046]

I guess it really depends on how much "Ched and Co." want to put it in to it, but i like the idea of having it farther away, or have multiple locations. South africa, hawaii, and of course ice diving :) Each location could be based on diving skills, like leveling up but unlocking dive spots instead. They can also provide different kinds of finds, maybe related to the location.
Ominos [1962593]

Work wise, I don't think it would be much. I think it would probably work in a similar way as the hunting mechanic with different text. At least, that's the most likely way it's going to be implemented :P
Calx [1896893]

In Cayman that scuba diving to find items would make more sense, since there was a lot of trade there with some shipwreckings. But to find should be extremely difficult, I mean like a lottery, and the items should be artifacts.
-DELTA- [2036372]

R+ Sounds like it has great potential. Effectively a re themed Hunting model in a different location. I look forward to seeing how this pans out.
Winged_Cougar [1993598]

Why? You can already get "miserable" finds by searching the dump in Torn city. This would require you to be over level 15, *and* effectively locks you out of just about every other aspect of the game. It also exposes you to a higher mug risk than you'd otherwise have sitting still in Torn, because the bank being there makes people mug there more often than in other places.
McDallas [14757]

I'd like it to be for a new island, one that you can't reach by plane and would require a yacht for. The have this as one of the specials for that island.