Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Question about Desktop app

Started by Hani [453063] on in Tools & Userscripts.

3 replies · 89 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
2
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
13 / 100
Story score
24 / 100
Engagement score
42 / 100

Most-liked replies

Hani [453063]

So I wrote desktop app, that use torn API to check user status (okay, hospital, jail).

the app works in timer which make request to API every 2 seconds, (I can make it to make request every 1 second  but i need green light for that first). Every request check user status and if target is not in "jail" or "hospital" which mean target is "Okay". the application gives notification sound then stop, it also auto stop if there was any errors with the request body. if target is in jail or in hospital the timer continue with next request.



Inputs from user :
  1. Target ID
  2.  API Key
my questions is
  • Is this legal ?
  • how to request user status only from API ?
  • can i make request every 1 second to API, I know it have limit for 100 request per minute I just want to be on safe side here ?
  • Most importantly again is this legal and not against any rules ? 
thanks
Bug [1455582] Committee Committee

1) Yes perfectly, if a bit creepy.

2) There is no way to select only a users status.

3) Yes, but be it seems like unnessarary overkill. Be careful not to overdo it, while your program alone won't hit the 100 limit combining it with others such as DocTorn might!

4) This tool violates no rules.



This sounds like overkill, since a profile page updates in real time, why not have a JavaScript extension that pings when someone changes status instead?
Hani [453063]

1) I agree it's a bit creepy but useful in wars to watch target who you want to keep in hospital. 

3) you are right, I didn't think of that.

I'm kinda weak on front-end side, I really thought of it this way first to make it JavaScript extension but i found it would take me longer time to finish, so i did it with c# which something i have experience in and faster for me. but the plan in the end is to make it JavaScript and pings like you said.