Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

The Magicians

Started by TooSlowJoe [2196340] on in TV & Movies.

30 replies · 114 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 31 / 31 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
31
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

TooSlowJoe [2196340]

 Has anyone watched this show? It is super cheesy and at times predictable, because it is a Syfy show after all. However, there are certain parts of the show, especially in season 3, where the show gets pretty deep into the human condition. It really is pretty awesome. Anyone else watch it?
MadHatter [486416]

One of my favorite shows. Top 10, for sure. One of the very few shows that I can love despite SyFy's heavy handed SJW bullshit (which is thick af in this).

The books are also really good, with much less "white people bad" in 'em. Books and show seem to have very little in common (as far as plot goes), especially after the first book.

I ****ing hate Julia though. She's easily one of the worst characters of all ****ing time
TooSlowJoe [2196340]

Totally agree with you for the most part. Julia doesn't bother me as much. To me she really redeemed herself in season 3. Like the first 2 seasons she was just insufferable. However, the person I can't ****ing stand is Alice. Like this bitch is just miserable and never happy. First it's I want ALL of the magic, now its no one should have magic.
MadHatter [486416]

Did you watch the season 4 premiere? Alice is going to be awful this season. I already hate her for ruining magic, and now they made her character psychotic mopey.

You're right about Julia. She got a lot better in the last season. Damn though, those first two seasons... She just kept getting people killed and then whining about how hard her life is. Poor Richard.

Aside from several cringey lines of dialogue, the premiere wasn't terrible. Alice can stay locked in the library as far as I'm concerned. The body-hopping demon thing is kinda cool.
MadHatter [486416]

This season is going to be tough. They're coming in hard with the "progressive" overtones. May be the season that kills it for me
TooSlowJoe [2196340]

Yea the premiere was pretty tight. I liked it a lot. Kinda figured that someone would have figured out themselves but that will probably happen like how they found the keys last season. I think it is a shame that the demon is in Eliot though. Personally like him a lot.
MadHatter [486416]

Eliot has always been my favorite character. I'm glad they deviated from the books with him (he's supposed to be ugly as ****)
MadHatter [486416]

This season is shaping up to be awful. It's just like Alice: sad, edgy, angsty, dark and desperate. She's the poster-child for what is undoubtedly the darkest season yet, and it's not a good fit. It just feels like it has lost a lot of its charm in favor of SyFy shock value. Bacchus didn't deserve that [:disappointed:]
RandomCC [2219650]

Hmmm guess I'll watch it then, it's been popping up in my Recommended but didn't really pull me in. SJW BS doesn't sound fun tho
TooSlowJoe [2196340]

just got caught up to current. idk, i didn't really care for Bacchus. Kinda excited to see how they are going to get Eliot back though
MadHatter [486416]

Bacchus was an ass, but his death was bruutal.

I def miss real Eliot. Hope they sort this out quickly.

And if I hear Margo say "nutsack out" one more time, I'm gonna lose my shit
TooSlowJoe [2196340]

Lol i think the nutsack out joke is hilarious. Reminds me of what Betty White said. "I don't know why they call someone wimpy a pussy. Those things take a beating and keep going."

But yea the preview for the next show seemed like it would focus more on Eliot coming back, or at least starting to anyways.

I just hope they wrap up Alice's storyline for this season soon. She really is getting to be annoying.

Also, what's up with real Penny? Is that dude just going to stay dead and that's why we now have new Penny? Like that sucks big time for Katie but magically works out well for Julia, because why wouldn't shit just be given to her AGAIN
MadHatter [486416]

Dude, I was wondering about the Penny thing. I had completely forgotten about that whole story arc and I was getting confused af every time they mentioned it in the last couple episodes.

I think the show worked better when they were a closer-knit group. Or maybe it's something else. I dunno. Some of the chemistry and, dare I say it... magic... has disappeared.
TooSlowJoe [2196340]

yea man I'm just hoping that the show didn't peak last season, Because the overall story for the season was really pretty awesome. For the most part, all the main character got along, they were actually working together and it really showcased their friendships and how those friendships grew, like the Eliot and Q mosaic episode and the Josh party singalong episode. Like those were great, well put together episodes that really developed the characters. Now it just seems moody and dark for no apparent reason. Maybe it is intentional though because magic is corrupted.

But that pun though...
MadHatter [486416]

Oh man, I definitely agree. Season 3 was incredible. The mosaic episode with Eliot and Q was simultaneously heart-warming and heart-wrenching, and it really highlighted the depth of their relationship. The chemistry between the two of them, both in the books and the show, has always been magical in itself. And the relationship that Eliot and Margo have (had) showed more individual depth than you'd initially attribute to either character. The way they let their guards down for each other, and only each other, really emphasized their hidden humanity (which Margo desperately needs from time to time).

I think I'm slowly coming to the realization that Eliot is the most important character for me and that may be why this season feels so awful. Like you said, it's just moody and dark for no apparent reason. Even when Eliot was super depressed Eliot, he still brought a lot of warmth to the show. Now it's just cold.

And yes, I couldn't help myself with that pun [:cool:]
TooSlowJoe [2196340]

Yea so because I DVR it I usually have to wait to respond to ya lol. Eliot is pretty much the best part of the show. I think that this latest episode where it showed where he was at his worst, the interaction between him and Q in the throne room, was almost painful to watch. Like you said, the mosaic scene was so heart-warming and in the scene mentioned they even say that they were proven to work. I mean i get it, but damn.

Also, I feel like Syfy is following this thread because with the teaser for next week, it looks like we are getting old Penny back.
MadHatter [486416]
This most recent episode wasn't awful. The monster thing is starting to feel a bit drawn out, though. The whole "having to save Eliot's body from the manchild monster" bit is getting tedious, and the longer it goes on, the more the logic around it crumbles. We're talking about an entity that is essentially a god, that is submitting to Q's will for... like... no ****ing reason at all. He could slaughter a whole city in a day, but somehow needs the help of a magically-crippled magician?

And old Penny is boss af when he goes full Librarian mode.

Edit: As for SyFy following this thread, I wouldn't be surprised. The two people that watch their original content are both posting here. lmao
TooSlowJoe [2196340]
I know right? Like sure it would be a setback for the monster to kill Q, but how long would it really set him back for? like a day? besides he'd just go around killing gods again and collecting his body. i mean thats literally how he found out about it.