Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Sharkeyfive fed'ed

Started by noshybabs [1964767] on in Graveyard.

336 replies · 7.56k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 337 / 337 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
337
Discussion span
→
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
40 / 100
Story score
74 / 100
Engagement score
92 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Persious [2064102] ×2 bogie [148747] ×1 sharkeyfive [1151690] ×1 Nova [1570883] ×1

Lewis [1312721]
"This thread is just getting out of hand at this stage. There's no more discussion, just insults being thrown on all sides. I have spoken with both parties involved already, and despite my comments to Sharkey saying to drop it it seems he is entirely incapable of this so I will explore additional deterrents at this stage.

Locked."

This is what Bogie said, and his fed just says "questioning" so hopefully it'll actually be resolved now.

bogie [148747] Admin Staff
This is, for now, a temporary jailing so he and I can have a chat in a more serious environment. Initial reports I had were too vague but further confirmation was received upon a lot of digging. I made this decision this morning and intend to send a message that threatening to share a person's real life information against their wishes within the game is not something we take lightly.

Torn is not a "world police force" - we cannot punish people for actions that may happen outside of Torn (aside from absolutely exceptional circumstances), but at the point where such things are brought into Torn itself at that stage I have the ability to act on it, be that actual information being shared or legitimate threats to do so.

In the past we have jailed people before for this in the exact same manner, continued efforts made by the harassing party can and do result in more permanent sentences.





Basically, just don't be dicks please guys.
RandomGuy_ [2040019]
Wow, he got fedded just now? Man, folks go crazy in this game to the point that they'll reveal someone's RL information to everyone on this game all because of constant bounties.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up Adstaly.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]
According to unsubstantiated reports bogie had to send a police van when sharkey was arrested, as it was impossible to bend his hips and knees so he didn't fit in the backseat of a car.
A_Mean_Person [1631303]
Yeah, Sharkey is beyond saving...

I get it you lot (TMB) are a bunch of annoying morons... Some more annoying then others, but seriously he needs some self control.

I had the unfortunate idea of looking through his post history and 90% of it is just conflicts with other players.
VeteranDemon [457059]
I have a questions about this...lets say I message EvilDuck and say my real name is "Mike" however do not tell anybody.

Does he have to keep quiet as i requested him not to share this info or is this free game....the rules seem a little slack.
FidelCashflow [1993550]
It's probably more the fact that he's threatening another player to do things the way he wants or else kind of thing.

And I don't think knowing "mike" rises to the level of leaking your name, address, friends.
manic [1554958]
"Basically, don't be dicks people"

Should be written above every company entrance, tattoed on people's foreheads and taught in schools from the age of 6.

"...Because we sadly now have to legislate for said dicks."
Evil-Duck [1182047]
Just to clear up I wasn’t calling for anyone to get permanently fedded over someone knowing my first name, what he was threatening to leak was a lot more than that and I’m glad the digging came up with something despite it being over the course of a long time.

Fed jailing isn’t a victory other than it shows it wasn’t some kind of PR stunt.

Peace
A_Mean_Person [1631303]
Good luck in that chat... You will need it.

I do understand that in the past some cases might have been dealt with differently, but i also understand that either we want it or not, some players info is more sensitive then others. For instance if someone reveals my Facebook that's kind of no consequence, because i don't really ruffle anyone's feathers...

ED is quite a different case, specially because we can't really underestimate human stupidity... You always end up surprised.

Also, would like to see a harsh treatment for this kind of thing, in game or not, if it can be proven without reasonable doubt then it should be dealt with.
Kobie [2156358]
Any decent person should respect your request in that case. But, let's say he did share that info... I don't think you can compare that to giving out somebodies home address. But as you rightly point out. There's a grey area. Perhaps this needs clarification to make it black and white.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
If ED is using that information to coerce you it would be something we'd look at from a harassment point of view, if you're asking him to not use said information in public/with others and report it as such then we can have discussions with him to ensure that he understands that and that continuing to do so against your wishes could result in action being taken.

The key things we look at with harassment regarding real world information is if it's disclosed without permission or consent and whether or not such things pose a legitimate threat to that person.

Vague actions might not be something we can take action on, for example - someone saying "I am going to kill you" - is fairly vague, and could well be in reference to the game itself, someone saying "I know where you live and I'm going to find and kill you Mike" is something we'd escalate immediately to official warnings or for myself to look at to go straight to a jail sentence for.



Harassment also covers other things, as many are aware, per the rules - such as causing distress of a person's appearance, such things usually start off with verbal warnings.

Bear in mind too, a staff member advising you not to do something is the same as a system mail verbal warning, the intention of these to be to remind a player of the rules and advise that what they're doing is on the line/just stepping over it - ignoring that and continuing can well result in harsher punishments.