69 replies · 834 views · thread synced · 6 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:70 / 70 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
70
Discussion span
→
Authority score
30 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
77 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Nobody[237547]
· 9 likes · Note: I am not worried about getting the virus, I am not a risk patient, I am worried about spreading the disease because of lacking sanitation material, however. 2 days ago I saw someone hoarding soap, I explained what I …
ljangel[2221812]
· 9 likes · Well put. If only people would listen, I don't get why people are hoarding stuff. I am a diabetic and had to go to several places just to get a box of pen needles for my insulin. I was like …
Indubitably[2117849]
· 7 likes · I lost brain cells reading this. Be warned. [image: lh3.googleusercontent.com]
I work at a food distribution center that provides 40-48% of all food in my nation, if I get sick, chances are that you will get sick. At any point in time, we are 10 critical people (mechanics, electricians, system operators) that keep things operating. A single flaw could reduce our production to 70%, yet we expect a 30% increase in food distribution the next week. While we are striving to do everything in our power to reduce the risk of spreading the disease, we simply cannot stop working even if we get the disease.
At the moment we have absolutely no 60%+ alcohol (minimum effective registered) antibacterial dispensers. We are using something with 90% isopropanol spray cans, risking our personal health to make sure widespread disease does not happen because of us. Look up automated food distribution solutions and you will quickly realize how easy it is for the disease to spread from a single cough from someone working at your distribution centers.
We have 2 people quarantined at each location at my job, to minimize risk between the zones and shifts, but we still have no healthy way to sanitize our area. I beg you all to stay at home if you can, use soap, let the distribution centers get some common 60%+ hand sanitation. If you hoard the hand sanitation, we will no longer be able to do our job without risking a large spread of the current coronavirus.
I am, and the person I am in quarantine with (in our zone at work), are experiencing respiratory illness now. I called the coronavirus health department, but the moment I explained what my job was, they told me to do my job. I called the non-critical police number, they told me to do my job. Doing my job without risking a massive increase in critical medical cases is getting tougher.
I beg you all, whatever country you live in, please STOP buying 60%+ alcohol hand sanitizers. If you buy it, it means people like me will not be able to buy it, increasing your risk of getting the disease. Hand sanitizer sales have now been blocked for anyone not working in the hospital, and the government is yet to acknowledge the food distribution centers.
Do your part, don't hoard unless you have lung cancer, get moderate supplies if you have asthma, have some backup if you have heart issues. Stocking up on supplies now will increase the spread of the disease, reducing your survival rate in the case of high hospitalization numbers.
Note: I am not worried about getting the virus, I am not a risk patient, I am worried about spreading the disease because of lacking sanitation material, however.
2 days ago I saw someone hoarding soap, I explained what I said above to him, yet he smiled and said "I will isolate myself for 3 months", I didn't care to explain that we expect the highest spread (most active cases) is going to be in 3 months - phuck him... He is the reason the disease will spread, and he will need to go out in 3 months when we have the highest cases of infected.
People are acting like this will be the end of the world. Yes I admit it will be hard to let 300 million people go. but remember that disease has been with humanity since we first walked the Earth.
Remember what the Spanish Flu did, remember what Smallpox did, remember what the black plague did*shivers*. Worldwide disease is nothing new to humanity. We will endure as we have in the past. A small pathogen cannot kill the human race(it can certainly alter it though)
Well put. If only people would listen, I don't get why people are hoarding stuff. I am a diabetic and had to go to several places just to get a box of pen needles for my insulin. I was like wtf people!! I couldn't believe it when the pharmacist said they didn't know when they would get more. You can't use but one at a time so why hoard them.
Thanks for sharing your story and warning. Every day since the virus began spreading across the globe I’m reminded how fragile our distribution systems are and how woefully underprepared we are for this pandemic (in my country). Take care of yourself!
I appreciate the severity of your concern, but pleading to Torn Citizens isn't the right answer. I do wish you well especially during this difficult time.
Italy has stopped treating patients over the age of 60, leaving them to die. My country has stopped testing critical personnel unless they are doctors, even if you are giving birth and coughing you will not get tested for the current coronavirus. At most, we will test you if you have lung cancer, if even that - and this is from the country that had the 2nd highest doctor rate per capita in 2017 (published 2019). This new coronavirus is spreading because people don't take it seriously, much like you.
The death rates are 3-4%, yesterday a man at the age of 35 died. He had no medical issues, he simply died because people are not taking this seriously. Tomorrow it could be you, I hope it's not, and I spray with health-damaging sanitation to decrease risk of spread - really I risk my survival rate to increase the overall survival rate, simply so you can sit and say "percentage this and percentage that".
I would be at no more risk than you, were it not for my spraying down my area. I do my job, and I beg that you do yours... Instead of making fun, let my risk at least be worth a thought. And to everyone, I'm not asking for upvotes, if you upvoted this thread then downvote a different post of mine.
I'm not a worried patient, I'm a worrying part of the food supply. People hoarding food and toilet paper is less critical than the supply actually being compromised. I beg you to reverse the movement of this thread, I beg that you even make this a sticky, lock me from getting karma, the current corona virus will make a larger impact than anyone believe it will do. With a 3% mortality rate prior to medical care announces stopping medical care for 60+ year olds (in Italy), we are likely looking at a higher death rate.
I believe Torn as a game should inform people that hoarding hand sanitation will increase the death rates significantly, this virus is beyond simply "Political & Law" subforum. You are risking the life of millions of lives by keeping the lid on this just within Torn.
I'm not asking for upvotes, please lock this thread from counting towards karma rates, I don't care about torn today... I am decreasing my survival rates in order to increase the total population survival rates, I mean lock my threads and make a public announcement, this is an epidemic, and because of hoarders, we are already at a pandemic level.
If it's so important, surely your superiors could get the 60%+ alcohol disinfectant directly from the manufacturer as a priority before they ship stock to the public?
Government trumps anything, failure to do so means you could be liable. Never underestimate the power of fear from being liable, the only people taking this serious at my job is me and my co-quarantined partner. The shift assistant lead has visited us (violating 2 man quarantine) twice within 2 active shifts (once per shift). People don't take this seriously even at critical levels. I plan to call my closest leader (shift leader) as well as the site manager tomorrow.
60%+ alcohol is locked and cannot be sold to anyone but health officials within the corona treatment, they have absolutely no plan to reduce risk of spread, they only care about reducing the death rate currently at the hospital. Government is still looking at what "critical personnel" even means, so we are not even close at providing non-contaminated food...
Soap and water is arguably more effective than hand sanitizer and you surely aren't out of soap. All food distribution centers for employees who directly touch meat, produce, or other food should have sinks available for employees to wash their hands both regularly and returning to the work site. If you don't have sinks, then your anger is misplaced and should be directed towards your employer / health authorities that cut costs and allowed you to operate in a facility that relies on hand sanitizer and not superior soap and water hand washing stations.
Sorry about your situation, and it's informative to hear about how bad things are Italy. However, the epidemiologists think Italy will be stabilized in 2-3 weeks (we also said that 2-3 weeks ago), and hopefully your case will not intensify.
===
With the hand sanitizer, it depends on the region where supplies are being purchased, and it's akin to the masks business. South Korea, China, and Hong Kong are big on masks, because they have masks in profusion and it's considered a reasonable safeguard akin to motorcycle helmets. I.e, it won't stop you from getting sick 100% of the time, but it'll stop you from getting sick at least some of the time (motorcycle helmets only reduce fatalities by 35%). On the other hand, in the United States, masks are being hoarded and the people who need them (medical staff) aren't getting them, so the government is making it very clear that masks don't help, to stop people from hoarding masks.
1869113[1869113] · #17
Well said Nobody. People are taking this virus far too lightly. I'm not saying "lets all go into panic mode omg we are going to die", but just listen to the government and take the virus seriously.
Except that 80% of govs don't want to take this seriously because they want to protect their precious economy and reelection chances. They end up ostriching until they end up like China, which had to shut down Hubei province and pretty much the entire country to get rid of coronavirus, or like Italy, which enacted China-like measures as its coronavirus crisis got out of control.
The only gold lining is that the Chinese and South Koreans are over their coronavirus crisis, while Iran seems to be getting there. And Italy, given the severe tactics it's partaken of, will eventually get coronavirus under control as well. It's just going to take a while.
The shit lining, on the other hand, is that the US is behind the curve and will probably see over 50k cases. I was estimating over 100k a while back, but with Pence claiming that there's 1.2 million weekly tests available, this might not be the case.
What fear mongering are you talking about? As far as I see the correct measures are taken, they might seem radical but they are needed. At least in my country. Of course people are also asked not to panic since that doesn't help.
Sometimes you just have to switch of the news, but they need to report this since it is important. Watch a comedy or something to lighten up, it is all in your own hands.