Is there no api to pull the url of a players profile picture? im new to api and i tried looking at the site and didnt find it (the api guide thing)
Profile APIs
Started by Hyp [1458813] on in API Development.
About this thread
Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 17
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 6
- Likes on archived posts
- 5
- Posts by staff, officers and moderators
- 2
- Authority score
- 72 / 100
- Historical score
- 23 / 100
- Story score
- 34 / 100
- Engagement score
- 59 / 100
Most-liked replies
- Sannemander [2088627]
· 1 likes ·
Well, that's what I meant with a "grey zone": On September 9, the U.S. 9th circuit court of Appeals ruled (Appeal from the United States District Court for the Northern District of California) that web scraping public sites does not …
Mentions: Profile APIs
lol sorry for dislike platin :D i hoped it was possible ;)
It's possible to get the profile picture through programming, but instead of using the API you need to do some scraping, I can point you to where to find it if you are interested. I have been looking into it before, it's a tedious process though just to get that picture. Was too lazy to write the actual code until now.
you are only allowed to scrape pages ur currently viewing. Don't think that will work for op
Yeah it's a kind of a grey area.. with written permission from Ched you should be 100% allowed to do it though lol.
[image: i.gyazo.com]
I don't think its really a grey-area when it clearly states that you can't "scrape pages that you're not currently viewing"
I don't think its really a grey-area when it clearly states that you can't "scrape pages that you're not currently viewing"
There are a lot of grey zones regarding scripts and other access, scraping isn't one of them. If it's not a manually loaded page, it's strictly forbidden.
Lol, good I learned this before coding anything, thanks.
Actually the rules have been changed this January regarding scraping, now it is only forbidden for sites where you need to to enter credentials if I remember correctly.
I doubt that, it would be pretty stupid too since I think there are very few pages that are open without account. Pretty sure profiles aren't accessible without account either way.
Well, that's what I meant with a "grey zone":
On September 9, the U.S. 9th circuit court of Appeals ruled (Appeal from the United States District Court for the Northern District of California) that web scraping public sites does not violate the CFAA (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act).
This is a really important decision. The court not only legalized this practice, but also prohibited competitors from removing information from your site automatically if the site is public. The court confirmed the clear logic that the entry of the web scraper bot is not legally different from the entry of the browser. In both cases, the “user” requests open data — and does something with it on their side.
US court fully legalized website scraping and technically prohibited it
And indeed it's not possible to look at a profile without being logged in, to be honest I wasn't aware of that since I'm always logged in, I needed to logout to try it, so here it is illegal by law and by t.o.s yes.
On September 9, the U.S. 9th circuit court of Appeals ruled (Appeal from the United States District Court for the Northern District of California) that web scraping public sites does not violate the CFAA (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act).
This is a really important decision. The court not only legalized this practice, but also prohibited competitors from removing information from your site automatically if the site is public. The court confirmed the clear logic that the entry of the web scraper bot is not legally different from the entry of the browser. In both cases, the “user” requests open data — and does something with it on their side.
US court fully legalized website scraping and technically prohibited it
And indeed it's not possible to look at a profile without being logged in, to be honest I wasn't aware of that since I'm always logged in, I needed to logout to try it, so here it is illegal by law and by t.o.s yes.
we are talking about the torn rules
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=67&t=16037108&b=0&a=0
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=67&t=16037108&b=0&a=0
Yes by t.o.s. I meant terms of service.
There are two things that you need to take into account with what you posted;
1) Torn is not a US-based company and is covered by UK law not US law.
2) The terms of service also determine whether you are permitted to scrape pages of the site. If the terms of service explicitly state that it is against the site's terms of service (like Torn does). Then you are breaching those same Terms of Services that you agree to when using the site.
Also regarding another one of your comments;
Specifically regarding the " now it is only forbidden for sites where you need to enter credentials if I remember correctly" .
I don't' believe this is correct at all. The line of the screenshot I highlighted earlier clearly stated: "scrape pages that you're not currently viewing, or attempt to bypass the captcha."
The clear wording of this means that you are not permitted to scrape pages unless you manually accessed that page yourself, the mention of captchas refers to attempting to bypass the captcha which still defines scraping pages that you have not accessed manually as against the rules.
1) Torn is not a US-based company and is covered by UK law not US law.
2) The terms of service also determine whether you are permitted to scrape pages of the site. If the terms of service explicitly state that it is against the site's terms of service (like Torn does). Then you are breaching those same Terms of Services that you agree to when using the site.
Also regarding another one of your comments;
Actually the rules have been changed this January regarding scraping, now it is only forbidden for sites where you need to to enter credentials if I remember correctly.
Specifically regarding the " now it is only forbidden for sites where you need to enter credentials if I remember correctly" .
I don't' believe this is correct at all. The line of the screenshot I highlighted earlier clearly stated: "scrape pages that you're not currently viewing, or attempt to bypass the captcha."
The clear wording of this means that you are not permitted to scrape pages unless you manually accessed that page yourself, the mention of captchas refers to attempting to bypass the captcha which still defines scraping pages that you have not accessed manually as against the rules.
I must admit I am not fully aware of all the laws regarding scraping, It is something I never do I just was investigating it in this instance because just like the op it would have been interesting to get the profile pictures.
Still, it was interesting to investigate this a bit, and it seems the legal battle about it is far from over.
Still, it was interesting to investigate this a bit, and it seems the legal battle about it is far from over.
I agree with Platinum and DeKleine... there's no gray zone here, and I also don't think its valid to try to bring laws into a game rule... Also, you would be breaking two rules by doing this, since user scripts cannot make non-API requests to Torn neither
They cannot make additional non-API requests to Torn