Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Honor Among Thieves?

Started by John [1933955] on in General Discussion.

23 replies · 451 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

John [1933955]
In a game crime-based game, it's always been cool to see how people naturally stick to certain values regardless of what everyone else is doing. There are plenty of buymuggers, vault-thieves, and everything in between, but also plenty of people happy to just help out anyone they can. Personally, I draw the line at backstabbing so stuff like trade-mugging, scamming, and vault-theft is a level of betrayal I'm just not really comfortable with, even in a game.

So I'm curious, where do you all draw the line? IDGAF anything goes? I'm a mofoing PRINCESS and everyone is my baby?
Shooby [2510470]
Meh, if you don't protect yourself from being mugged/buy mugged/trade mugged or you give someone access to your funds; You've got it coming and I don't sympathize for you.
Archer [2172225]
Scamming and straight-up stealing is beyond low.

But shit i ain't been working on my stats to not be mugging people
Lat [1187876]
Stalk mug, buy mug are fair to me.

I wont trade mug, cancel mug, scam or any other form of broken trust.

I dont even give folk bad deals when trading etc, been offered SEs for 350m from nubs before and said no I'll pay 420m etc.
Aezur [1950769]
I think buymug is fair game, but I don't do it myself. Many ways to protect yourself, but it just feels kinda scummy so I dont bother.
lapetitemort [2080158]
I don't buy-mug for a living but I'm on the side that if it happens to you, you probably didn't take enough precaution.

Vault thievery, however, is absolutely abhorrent. It plays on the trust of the people around you who you built relationships with. It's more than cash value, it costs people a lot of emotional investments (maybe, idk how tight you are).
DedeSiregar [2430598]
My energy is reserved for trainand to chain for my faction. Also I don't feel comfy to hurt ppl feeling.

However
Sometimes I see ppl selling 100 mill worth of items for under value, not self hosp, I come and clean their bazaar, they get mugged, I get blacklisted sometimes bountied or insulted, I then start to think I shouldda just mug that f**ktard.
Kata [1990396]
I generally don't scam, but I don't freak out about people doing it. It adds interesting content to the game.
SporkMonkey [2065017]
Buy-Mugging is fair game. There are some scams that I can see being fine, like the old Vicodin for Xannie prices. The buyer does that to themselves.

That being said, never, ever with factionmates and friends. Even if I had Vicodin for Xannax prices, which I don't, and a faction,ate bought them, I would refund their money. Zachjuv did that for me and I never forgot the kindness.

Factionmates are love in this game. Never f**k over your faction.
Emforus [2535044] Wiki Contributor
I limit myself to sniping people. Buymugging looks like an easy way to get on someone's hit-list, and anything beyond that is just too scummy for my taste.
That being said, buymugging is fair game for those that do it accepting the risks. Blame the seller for not protecting their money properly.
Hopslam [795412]
it's a game - let a player play

Many people aren't thieves or scammers, until they are faced with a situation and they steal or scam. Some are faced with a situation in which they wouldn't scam or steal in a million similar situations, but they do it that one time, for some reason. Some may do it a handful of times, and find it's not the way forward anymore. Some may do it only in certain circumstances or just whenever they feel like it. For some, it's their game play and way of life here to steal and scam. Some do things just for chaos or their own personal fun at a given moment. Some wouldn't do it under any circumstances. Everyone can have their own code of ethics that they play by and everyone can change up their style anytime. But actions and consequences can follow you around no matter where you go or what you do. You get to pick your actions. You don't get to pick the consequences.

It can be kind of a chess game for some in Torn between the two sides. There are ways to steal from and scam others. There are ways to prevent the thievery. And there are things players can do to others after a theft or scam has occurred. Never ending battle really.
Shooby [2510470]
It's real, ferr sure.


Shooby fired 4 rounds of his Snow Cannon hitting Hopslam in the right foot for 2046 05:56:37
Hopslam is frozen 05:56:39
Shooby fired 4 rounds of his Snow Cannon hitting Hopslam in the right hand for 1582 05:56:42
Shooby fired 5 rounds of his Snow Cannon hitting Hopslam in the chest for 5420 05:56:44
Shooby mugged Hopslam for $183,715,776 (+0.93)