17 replies · 203 views · thread synced · 6 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:18 / 18 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
18
Discussion span
→
People posting
15
Likes on archived posts
31
Authority score
35 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
47 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100
Most-liked replies
Blue[972499]
· 12 likes · I have a heavy Dutch accent, despite having lived most of my in the UK. I genuinely don't care what other people think of it though, and I suggest you do the same.
So I have two Torn friends I either call or use voice note to talk with sometimes. I then realized I have weird accent and I am pretty embarrassed about it. Based on english dictionary my pronunciation is good (yes I have checked). But yeah I have odd accent.
How to remove it btw? Do you have odd accent too when you talk in english?
Go with what Blue said, dont let it bother you and if someone doesn't understand they should just ask, explain and move on. :]
.I'm not sure without good audio editing that you can remove your accent from the audio, and for spoken the only true way I can think of is immersing your self in the language (like living in a predominately english speaking place), even that doesn't work all the time and generally takes a long time.
Most people here understand Torn's made up of people from all around the world, when we talk we are bound to have some accents. Don't let it bother you much and just re-explain if needed, itll help both parties learn :]
To build on that, you could use google to translate what you are saying even in English then record the audio. It’ll be generic and robotic unless you grab a text to speech app with other voices and find one you like but it doesn’t really help in the talking to a person sense unless you’re using recorded messages all the time. But it “is” an option
then more along awesome lines, I think would be finding those words on google for pronunciation and just practice ones you think are a tad off. Practice never hurts
Look I gotta agree with the post above me. I am in the US... and I got one of the strangest accents around. No one up north understood a lick of what I said because they pronounce words differently. I lived down way south, and no one thought I was mispronouncing anything, but said I couldn't say "Bag" right. Oh and I couldn't pull off a Texan "Ya'll" Without being a black sheep in the room. And then I went to the middle of the country, and everyone said I sounded like a Yankee. (Yes that term apparently exists still) So... Needless to say. Everyone is allowed to sound different, embrace it~ Until you get called a Slur. Then you take out your rage on torn. JK~!
I have a Caribbean accent and I love it. I have zero interest in changing my accent. Though mine varies from a thick VI accent to vague received pronounciation based on things like who I'm addressing, my moods and how long I've been speaking standard English.
Talking to people with various accents could be fun. Getting them to say words that sound funny to you...There's no such thing as no accent. Everyone has an accent so it's just a matter of losing yours and picking up someone else's.
A dialect coach could help you with your accent. Or moving to the place whose accent you want. Those are the better options but if not feasible, you can try watching TV shows from the place whose accent you want and fry learning the accent through tv.
Now I'm curious, never got to speak to you on voice before. But like Nini said, watching tv is a huge change to your accent if you tend to pick up things/adapt.
Learn to love your accent, it's a part of you and you shouldn't feel the need to change it if you change your mindset about it.
Mine is a mix between American and Indian and it used to sound cringy af to me till I followed my own advice. Hope you start liking yours down the road!
Don't worry about other people. Its a part of you. A persons accent only makes them unique.
There are many that are fun to listen to. Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Scandinavian (many more) accents entertain me. Guilty of trying to make them talk, just to listen.
I Iove all the different accents from the world around me ,but to get rid of a accent you have to move to the deep southern USA . Now it wont get rid of your accent, just swap it for another. Best advice. Love yours for being yours , .. Signed ,always country in the south.
I wouldn't worry about it. There's dozens of different accents just in the UK and most of them are weird as f**k. I'd only try to change it if you sound like you're from Barnsley, Birmingham, or Cornwall.
If you have gone to the trouble to learn to speak multiple languages then that is a feat in itself.
Accent is not a issue, if you can communicate in more than 1 language if they can understand you that is fine. Dont seek to be perfect in something which isnt important.
There is no 'right' accent for speaking a secondary language. If you can speak it thats enough. The vast majority of people in the world can really only speak 1 language well. In fact there are many who cant even speak a tiny little bit in any other language at all.