Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Captcha Disputes

Started by SlickSpades [2020461] on in General Discussion.

8 replies · 235 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 9 / 9 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
9
Discussion span
→
People posting
9
Likes on archived posts
28
Authority score
36 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
50 / 100
Engagement score
56 / 100
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]
I disputed a captcha once. I was told to hush, but it got fixed.

I just did one that asked what would you use a straw for.

Being a former drug addict, I picked Krystal. Nope. It was something I would never drink.
thestud [1654931]
I could definitely put fifteen on myself.
Why else would the ladies of Torn bestow the title of "TheSTUD" upon me? xD
Kalisa [2014200]
A big problem is with their wording. "Might" is vague enough that it could include, "probably never, but who knows?" So lots of things "might" happen.

A second issue is asking what the player ("you") would or might do. That's highly variable for everyone. As noted above, there's a lot of stuff that I definitely would not do. Like drink Lucozade or whatever it's called, because it's not available in my country, and I didn't even know it was a real thing until I googled it.

A fix to these two would be to just change the wording to, "Which one of these would be most likely for someone to X?" "Most likely" gets rid of the "might, in some really twisted scenario" problem, and "someone" allows for people other than the player to engage in the activity.

A major theme in the text captchas is a lack of education on the part of whoever wrote them. They seem entirely ignorant of basic facts, and so many of the "correct" answers are either wrong or "what a typical ignoramus thinks". Things like not understanding that people are animals, and that everything has an orbit.