Hello.
as you know (or not) La Palma Volcano Cumbre Vieja has erupted.
as I’m the only player from Canary Islands I would like to inform you about the situation, because the mass media coverage is somehow very limited.
The volcano has erupted on Sunday local time. We knew it, and it was just a time bomb with unknown launch time.
So far it has destroyed 152 houses and caused no fatalities.
All of the area is evacuated. As I’m a scientist I knew about it from my friends that are working in there a few days before, and decided to leave the archipelago till the situation stabilizes.
I live on a different island, of Gran Canaria, but still wanted to leave to avoid all the panic and supermarket basic food price change.
So far:
170 hectares of land is covered with fresh lava, with the average moving speed of 400m per hour.
It deploys about 11t of SO2 per day to the atmosphere.
We are still waiting for the lava to reach the ocean, and that’s the most important point for us now. Lava and water = a lot of toxic particles freed into the air.
The government of Spain is buying new houses as of now, to relocate the victims.
I will try to keep this post updated, but as I’ve mentioned before , I’m in a different place now and can’t access my PC.
Update: 05/10/2021
The volcano is very active, has destroyed over 1100 houses so far, and the lava has reached the ocean.
as you know (or not) La Palma Volcano Cumbre Vieja has erupted.
as I’m the only player from Canary Islands I would like to inform you about the situation, because the mass media coverage is somehow very limited.
The volcano has erupted on Sunday local time. We knew it, and it was just a time bomb with unknown launch time.
So far it has destroyed 152 houses and caused no fatalities.
All of the area is evacuated. As I’m a scientist I knew about it from my friends that are working in there a few days before, and decided to leave the archipelago till the situation stabilizes.
I live on a different island, of Gran Canaria, but still wanted to leave to avoid all the panic and supermarket basic food price change.
So far:
170 hectares of land is covered with fresh lava, with the average moving speed of 400m per hour.
It deploys about 11t of SO2 per day to the atmosphere.
We are still waiting for the lava to reach the ocean, and that’s the most important point for us now. Lava and water = a lot of toxic particles freed into the air.
The government of Spain is buying new houses as of now, to relocate the victims.
I will try to keep this post updated, but as I’ve mentioned before , I’m in a different place now and can’t access my PC.
Update: 05/10/2021
The volcano is very active, has destroyed over 1100 houses so far, and the lava has reached the ocean.