Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Taking Down the DDOSer

Started by Glasnost [1844049] on in General Discussion.

136 replies · 7.95k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 137 / 137 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
137
Discussion span
→
Authority score
62 / 100
Historical score
53 / 100
Story score
72 / 100
Engagement score
87 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

mezy [2118584] ×1 mezy1337 [2118604] ×1 mezyy [2136835] ×1 mezythegod [2145649] ×1 mezystresswtf [2151997] ×1 mezy1337lol [2151999] ×1

Glasnost [1844049]

So, this post has been a long time in the making, but after receiving the OK from Chedburn, here it goes.

 

Between 2017 and 2018, some of you may remember Torn was being hit with DDoS attacks constantly. You may remember some of the announcements:

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=1&t=16046850&b=0&a=0

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=1&t=16039600&b=0&a=0

 

Now I work in cybersecurity, so I know how petty but damaging these can be, so I wondered what I could do about it. During one attack in particular, somebody sent me an interesting Pastebin, containing a chat from a username which was purportedly the attacker, so I decided to dig deeper.

 

Here is the original Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/LMKj1dj7

 

Using the alias, I found a variety of Torn accounts, and accounts on the internet, all matching the original name of "Mezy" or variants of it. Also with that, I was able to locate his full name, date of birth, phone number, home address, names of relatives, social media accounts and more (I even found a whole bunch of unflattering pictures of him which have since been removed). FYI much of this information has been removed for various reasons since lots of the websites involved were taken down by police.

 

Some of his Torn Accounts:
https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2118604

https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2145649

https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2118584

https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2151999

https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2151997

https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2136835

 

As part of the findings, it appeared he also ran a website called stress.wtf - offering "booting" services. For those unfamiliar, a "booter" is when somebody offers a DDOS-for-hire service in exchange for (usually stolen) money or cryptocurrency. I had some pretty solid connections to show it was him running it or at least heavily involved.

 

Sensing an easy win, I forwarded my findings to Chedburn. We had several conversations in verifying the data, but also guided him through the process of getting it reported to the correct UK government agency for the police to take action, since not all police forces really know how to handle cybercrime reports like a DDOS.

 

Fast forward a few weeks to September 2018, our guy is arrested. I'll quote the email Ched sent me, but it was safe to say my information on him was spot on:

Hi {my real name}, 
So thanks to the information you provided and that reporting link you gave me...  
Our DDoS attacker was picked up by the police yesterday for an interview.
- 15 years old
- Mother attended (was shocked and didn't know as expected)
- He is the sole owner of the website stress.wtf, it's being shut down
- Was completely open and provided read access to the police
- Obviously very apologetic now that he's been caught
- He had also attacked other sites, including law and financial institutions
- Prosecution very likely
Thanks again.

 

 

Surprise surprise, the attacks stopped, and Ched posted this: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=1&t=16061308&b=0&a=0

 

And then fast forward a few more weeks to October 2018, some quotes from the detectives investigating when providing a summary to Ched:

 

>In summary, the 3000+ User DDoS collective have been greatly disrupted and have abandoned the Stresser and its social media platforms from which attacks were launched.
>the matter has snowballed the investigation into the detection of literally hundreds of crimes worldwide. Thank you for your engagement once again.  
>DDoS attacks have been confirmed from this group on multiple law enforcement sites, Justice Depts, Servers, financial institutions, even PPV boxing events! Moreover, a network involving credit card fraud has also been exposed.  
>We are branching out in respect of suspects and have 50+ nominals confirmed as buying the stresser globally
>In respect of our Suspect, the attacks on Torn were the tip of the iceberg, the volume of activity has been incredible, particularly the credit card fraud element.  
> the volume is unprecedented.

 

Nominals in police work is a way of saying people/suspects. So yeah, 50 people involved were identified.

 

Now some of this was a surprise of course, but being quite used to working in cybercrime areas, it wasn't shocking really. Often, people paying for these "booter" services use stolen credit cards bought online. Nevertheless, it was good to see the matter was being taken seriously.

 

Thanks to a variety of factors, such as the UK court system being painfully slow to prosecute and Covid-19, it took a long time to move further with this. However, in January 2023, "Mezy" finally pleaded guilty to 19 offences and received a 20 month suspended prison sentence. There were plenty of news articles covering this since it also impacted several pay-per-view streams of high profile people and some mentioned Torn too, but I won't link to them here.

 

A little opinion here - this isn't to demonize somebody. He was a 15 year old kid at the time, who made some very stupid mistakes, but it shouldn't define him going forward. I really hope he can move on and put his skills to legitimate use. I hope nobody in the community gives him a hard time for that. That being said, if anyone gets a feel for doing something similar, these are crimes, and they will be investigated. There is always somebody smarter than you, and you only need to make 1 mistake to get caught.

 

I speak from personal experience. Many years ago when I was a teenager I was like this kid. I used my skills for questionable purposes. Now yes I never started DDOSing people or started a fraud ring and had the police get involved because of it, but I did do some things for the kudos. The thing to keep in mind is that the internet doesn't forget - long after that kudos fades away and you stop talking to those people (because you will outgrow it), those news articles will linger and impact everything like your jobs, your future kids will see it, your family will be disappointed in what you've done and you could end up with a criminal record. Just don't do it.

Mentions: mezy [2118584] · mezy1337 [2118604] · mezy1337lol [2151999] · mezystresswtf [2151997] · mezythegod [2145649] · mezyy [2136835] · DDOS attack : 05/04/2018 · DDoS Attacker · Recent downtime / outages

DiamondRook [3309478]

>Glasnost writes an essay on cybersecurity in video games and what happens to cybercrime perpetrators years later

>First comment is a "these nuts" joke

Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor

Honestly impressive on the kid's part. Hope he ends up using his powers for good moving forward. 

 

And good on you Glasnost for helping bring him down. I vaguely recall the DDOS attacks, they were during a time that I wasn't very active. 

bogie [148747] Admin Staff

It wasn't just Torn he had targeted, which played a large part in his sentencing. Although the evidence submitted from Torn's side certainly played a key part in tracking it all which is interesting.

 

Here's an article for those interested, I have no idea where the $ figures came from though.

Five [959585]

Now you've returned to the game you should get a collectable I reckon, either a Bug Swatter or Anti-Hacking Device 

Overseer [2143302]

Ive read similar stories of young men getting wound up in serious trouble for cybercrime, specifically DDOSing schools and police, and in the most prominent story I remember the guy wound up getting an internship with a large company and doing very well. 

Babbel2004 [1865295]

Very interesting artical mate - i gotta agree with you. The guy clearly knows his skills but was only a kid at the time. I hope he puts his skills to good use in the right field.

MUZZA [2440298]

As someone who manages multiple ASNs for businesses that depend heavily on their networks for revenue and daily operations, I can truly sympathise with how disruptive and frustrating these attacks are.

 

While these attacks may be easy to launch, they cause significant damage and can result in substantial financial losses for businesses. It’s refreshing to see the UK courts taking action against those responsible. Unfortunately, many younger perpetrators see these attacks as entertaining or a way to gain clout—but for those on the receiving end, it’s far from amusing.

 

Rest assured, we will do whatever it takes to track you down.

 

Great job, OP!

Chit [1380260]

When you find out Glasnost is the person they based the movie Taken off of. 

 

 

Good work all around and I hope your work doesn’t go unrewarded.