Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

How to NOT get scammed by RW traders

Started by Spiffie [2448597] on in Tutorials & Guides.

29 replies · 1.37k views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 30 / 30 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
30
Discussion span
→
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
42 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Tim [179208] ×1 D3vl [710249] ×1 Zappa- [2544817] ×1

Spiffie [2448597]

As most of you may have seen, I called out Tim on his dirty tactics, preying on noobs who are not so clued up on the game. Offering them 25-50% of what items are worth, claiming the item is bad due to it's 'Low quality' or 'I saw an invisible one sell 2 weeks ago, with higher quality and 5% more bonus for (he then says 20% of the value, but since you are new, I can offer you (offers 30%) to help you out'. These numbers are not so bad in some scenarios, but he is almost ALWAYS low balling, so when Tim gives you an offer on anything Orange/Red OR a good yellow, just know you can probably get double for it. Anyhow, below I will offer a few tips on how to stay safe:

 

1) Armour - Look at the recent values graph. Most items will have spikes, which usually correspond to a higher % or quality item being sold. These are usually auction prices, which are much more realistic than the inflated item market prices. Please do not rush into buying pieces, they will not disappear. I promise you they will not be removed from caches and caches will always be opened. The supply will always increase, and so will the demand. But prices will continuously fall. I think my set was worth around 20.5b a few months ago, and now it is probably worth 14-15b. I hear stories of people paying 15-20b for delta sets and now they are worth half that.

 

2) Weapons - Weapons are harder to value, since there is no value graph. The best way to do it is look on the forums, see what others have sold for and what people are selling for. It will give you a rough estimate as to what to expect. You can also use this site to see what is listed in current peoples bazaars. https://torn.bzimor.dev/

 

Some weapons are a lot easier to value than others, solely due to the sample size of them being sold. I am happy to give out free valuations (what I believe is realistic and fair, which I confirm with a few experienced people). Some however, are rarer, and an exact price is hard to pin point. This is where you can use the orange/red weapon thread to advertise your weapons and see what offers you get.

 

Another thing I can recommend is trialling or running it through the AH. My good friend Zappa- runs an auction service. He charges 1% of final sale price as opposed to the 3% you would be charged listing it alone, but then you have a good idea as to what it is worth. You have the chance to bid on your own item to win it back, if you are not happy with the sale price. I will admit the auction house is a little funky at times, but listing during 7-10PM TCT is a good time, and timing them to end on saturday/sunday usually proves fruitful. I believe Zappa- may even allow you to get away with only paying a 0.5% fee if you won your item back and would like to list it again (you will have to speak to him). I can vouch for him, to date I think he has sold over 400b worth of items for me. I even gave him 100b worth of items a few weeks ago, and whenever I asked for funds, he had them ready.

 

All in all, be safe out there. Different people will offer different prices on weapons, mainly because as people know, some weapons are more useful to one person than another. If a trader offers you a price, more often than not it is worth more. Look for end users, since they tend to overpay/pay well since they make use of the weapon.

 

TL;DR... Be careful when buying/selling weapons, especially when it comes to notorious traders. A lot of people have had good and bad experiences, it is a shame the ones with bad experiences do not come out because they get are afraid bullied by factions for it. I have seen mulitple what I call scams, and it is shocking to see how often it happens. We are not all perfect, some worse than others... I understand business is business but taking advantage of noobs, lying and tricking them into unfair/bad prices is not cool. If it was D3vl- taking money from his faction members, you all jump on the bandwagon... This is just as bad as abusing noobs. Use the site provided to get estimations on prices... I believe there is another chedlists out there or something.

 

 

Mentions: D3vl [710249] · Tim [179208] · Zappa- [2544817]

AUTISTIC_FERRET [3369925]

I can vouch for Tim's scamming. On my old account, when I was quite new, I picked up a proficence AK-47U for 110m. I went to him asking how much it was worth, and he said "BBs". I went to get a second opinion, and nearly every other RW trader I went to said 70-100m. I was able to sell the weapon for 90m a bit after the RW bubble burst.

Pinguux [2331130]

Holux, quick get the stand out quick! 

 

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

------------------------------------

|.                                    .|

|.                                    .|

|.                                    .|

Rafale [3001212]

I spent short time trading RW, but made my opinion about trading there (at least when it comes to low value weapons). Buying there is good only if you are looking for very specific weapons. Usually it is better to wait until something nice pops up in auction house and buy it for 60-70% of forum value. Prices in tradig thread are VERY inflated.

Nightrise [1570597]

Think this is no longer the case with yellows.

 

Too many yellow weps and too many traders willing to take 10% profit margins. 

 

Bzimor helped, new traders who bid on everything. 

 

Reds tho? My god the inflation on those 

Apate [2348539]

It feels like you wanted to post in GD but knew you couldn't get away with another Tim thread this soon.

 

Also, you might want to color-code if you're going to includes names in big text like this, cause all I've gleamed from skimming this is Tim, Zappa-, and D3vl- have something in common, and I don't care enough to try to figure out what.

Hopslam [795412]

Honestly many or most are going to be too lazy to do all the research in forums and auction and trade chats and bzimor etc, so that is why so many flock to whoever makes trade quick and easy.  Lose out on profit or income due to convenience.   This will be an issue until Ched and devs can release an updated item market so all these advanced weapons can be traded better.  Hoping that is a high/top priority on Ched’s list but I don’t have my hopes up too high.   

note to self.  Stop buying advanced weapons for resale.  Because everything I bought this year for resale, ended up selling for less later. Super duper mad sad face. 

Tim [179208]

I hope your personal life is better than your Torn persona.

 

Clearly another slander attempt… I’m very open with my pricing and valuations, as your predecessor Lat once said, I demand Chedburn to personally review this as I CANNOT believe this game would be allow someone to make money trading and selling armor they mostly got from cache  at 350-400m a pop.

 

 In fact, if they even bother spending their own time giving their opinion on value items to people who ask, they should be crucified for daring to share any insight. 


I don’t play this game to have pathetic keyboard fights with someone who is has an ego problem, so don’t expect a response or me to ever speak to you again.



Rafale [3001212]

It would be really cool if torntools had some sort of log with all weapons sold - their type, bonus % and final bid. No more scamming, no more reselling with 40% margin.

 

Bzimor website is very good, it has few drawbacks:

  • is shows only weapons currently in bazaars/display cases
  • it doesn't cover whole players database, so you can miss deals from newer player
  • it takes long time to update player bazaar status, so weapons with good prices are sold between updates and are not shown on website

Still, useful for finding specific weapon if somebody doesn't like scrolling forum pages.

Spiffie [2448597]

Buying low selling high is one thing... manipulating noobs into thinking their items are worth half of what they are is another.

 

Anyhow, this is just some advice for those looking to sell their gear.

 

I understand what hosplam said, people cannot be bothered to find the best price etc. That is a personal choice with no hard feelings. But when someone a lot older, 'bigger' and more experienced than you, comes and says your weapon is way worse than what it is, manipulates you in an evil manner... it is not fair.

 

I am just here to help those people be safe from scams, as people help others be safe from mugs, bounties etc etc.

 

If a traders price is fair, then there should be no issues for ANYONE.

rainbowcatmeow [2161229]

=scam tho?   Not by my definition. 

 

 

hahaha the bounty is hilarious, and R+ for accurate use of irony.

 I know people all say this, but I seriously didn't touch the guy. I bought something for 11m - definitely not worth mugging imo. 

Spiffie [2448597]

You were in my discord DM's saying how bump Tim and Sco's  price were... get out of here.

Stop being salty that i smoked your ass.

You are on an ignore list, stop bypassing the block by commenting on my forums.