Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

really bad lag

Started by Wolf-ie [2798004] on in Bugs & Issues.

25 replies · 204 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 26 / 26 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
26
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
49 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Wolf-ie [2798004]

lag for torn has been really bad the last few days. its almost like its freezing for every click required. wondering if its just me or if others are experiencing something similar

Never [1729003]

are you using firefox? I have the same issue but only when I use firefox, which is super frustrating as it's my go-to browser. :(

CloudJumper [1636201]Staff

Can you replicate the issue in Incognito window with all of your scripts and extensions turned off?

Dr_Syk [109543]

I'm having the same issue. It went away in an incognito window but is still present if I turn off TornTools (only extension I use).

nex [2054500]

Getting the same. Profiler indicates garbage collector/cycle collector taking up to 100% cpu for a second or so every couple of seconds.

nex [2054500]

Update on this: It seems to have momentarily stopped after I went into the developer console and manually removed everything I could from  storage. I did that after simply trying to clear site and cache data which did nothing. It might also be unrelated.

 

It's now back, as bad as before.

 

Orange spike is the tab freezing completely. Lasts between about 2 and 4 seconds.

 

nex [2054500]

I have to amend something here. It's not as bad as before, it's much, much worse. Every copule of seconds the page locks up for a few seconds. Happened six times while writing out this post.

CloudJumper [1636201]Staff

Can you please try clearing your cache and cookies for Torn from the browser settings and see if it resolves the issue?

nex [2054500]

It's a memory leak, opening the Firefox task manager you can see memory and CPU usage spiking like crazy every few seconds once the lag starts as the garbage collector tries to free up memory.

 

The good news is you can "fix" it by closing the tab completely and opening a new one, the bad news is you have to do that every 10 minutes.

tiksan [2383326]

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but it's still pending info after two months which is a bit frustrating. Although ironically, Firefox's incremental GC is supposed to make GC faster.

nex [2054500]

It probably does, for developers that don't create memory leaks. 😆

 

Sadly, I don't believe this will be fixed any time soon. Just look at Chat 2.0 and the crime pages, neither have any business taxing the CPU and memory like they do. Something has gone fundamentally wrong with the way Torn implements functionality and unless they do a serious performance audit it will just keep getting worse with evey new addition.

nex [2054500]

Just curious, is anyone looking into this at all? The memory leak is still present, clearly observable in any tab that's being actively used for more than 10-20 minutes.

 

I'm guessing it was introduced in the React update during a planned downtime a few months ago, as it was the first time I experienced seriously crippling lag since the abomination called Chat 2.0 was released, but it might just have been made more prominent with that update for some reason.

 

Yes, it can be "fixed" by closing the tab and opening a new one, but that's not really an acceptable fix, is it?

nex [2054500]

Awesome, fingers crossed it will go away when 3.0 rolls out then, because it's seriously insanely annoying.