Sheesh, chat 2.0 is a literal antichrist of an update.
really bad lag
Started by Wolf-ie [2798004] on in Bugs & Issues.
Posts archived: 26 / 26 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
It could comfortably be classified as proper malware at this point to be honest. Easily the worst piece of software I've ever seen been allowed to continue functioning as part of a live, production-facing application. It's actually impressive how insanely dog-shit it is, it would be seriously hard to intentionally create a piece of software that fails so comprehensively yet somehow manages to limp, just barely, across the goal line of providing a means to send tiny pieces of text between clients. Something that was perfected over 35 years ago with a protocol called IRC.
Maybe with 3.0 we will see the wheel being reinvented without blowing up our computers in the process.
It's just a bad match for a chat solution. I've complained about this exact issue previously, then was redirected to a year old topic of the same problem.
Sendbird seems to be an applet designed for 1 on 1 support where youd yell at some poor intern about your grocery order having rotten oranges in it. There is/was a ton of debug hooks in it at the start which makes sense for that, if theres a problem it would let you see it in real time rather than "oh ok we'll take a look and get back to you". A long while back, there was an issue of a debug log ballooning to multiple gigabytes in size. One temporary solution was to disable local storage for Torn and I think the eventual patch fix was just to simply add a call to prune that log frequently. lol. Overall, it doesnt seem internally designed for an MMO like Torn where you have multiple thousands connecting at once to multiple rooms, and all of these 'fixes' over the years were just bandaids at best.
Personally, I would have just used an IRC backbone and a custom frontend like how twitch used to have it (no idea if thats still how it is today). It worked for them just fine on a userbase with hundreds of times Torn's size.
From what I hear about 3.0 though, it's supposed to be an in-house solution. No idea if thats actually true or not.
Mentions: chat still choking the game · Grave performance issues with chat 2.0
Hello
I will pass this thread to CJ not to 'hanging' it to re-assigning or making a decision
Thanks
I will close this as a duplicate of this report. We can revisit this if it is still happening after Chat 3.0.
Mentions: Grave performance issues with chat 2.0