Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Please stop using acronyms

Started by Cerberos [2328618] on in General Discussion.

64 replies · 975 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 65 / 65 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
65
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
76 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Cerberos [2328618]

I have been in Torn for a while and I still have a lot to learn about this game. What really pulled me from back is the usage of acronyms. I understand that it helps to explain some stuff but man, there are lots of terms and assets in this game. I mean if I randomly hit a few letters on my keyboard I am pretty sure that it corresponds some company or item or event etc. I'm not saying that we should drop it for good but it really makes it hard for new starters. 

 

 

Ata [2507441]

You first. Write how you write the following sentence:

 

I want my NNB to be higher cause of OC20's CPR especially since IM20 was introduced. LMAO ROFL, it all went FUBAR

Cerberos [2328618]

Imagine someone new trying to figure out the game and see this thing. It's like art student trying to solve calculus...

Necess [3191404]

Dang it.

I really wanted to post a clip of Jon Lovitz spouting off a bunch of military acronyms from a movie he was in, but I can't find what movie it was. So it goes I guess.

Overseer [2143302]

Aside from the usuals (OC, C2.0, cxp, CSR) the only place i can really think of acronyms being used is the stock market.

 

  1. who tf is calling it organized crimes 2.0 etc
  2. who tf is calling it feathery hotel group

if you aren't  aquainted with these enough to know them by heart, then

                3. why tf are you making a forum post about it?

CharmRiver [2334174] Reporter

And then if you write it all out it is too long and they are not reading all that! 

 

If you are invested enough it all will be clear soon enough. Torn is too deep to discover all in a weekend anyways so might as well strap in for the long haul 🥰

Cerberos [2328618]

I'm not saying that we should completely drop using acronyms. Obviously some terms are well put with acronyms. Although I have seen asomeone wrote mhh today. Like why tf should I even know what it is? 

Salty_Jack [2685023]

Oh mate, you’re deep in the TC trenches now. Gotta get used to the abbrv. meta, or you’ll be stuck in the NB trying to figure out why your E is draining faster than a LM scam.

 

If you’re trying to make sense of it all, start with the basics:

• FAK, SEs, Xan, Vic – your bread and butter for E management.

• OC, CE, PA, RI – don’t get yourself NS before you even figure out what’s profitable.

• CS, DB, LS, PI, 10*, because you’ll need to find a solid J to keep your Xan stack rolling.

• CD, FK, YS, EI, CE, DA – gotta learn these if you wanna survive in FW without getting perma-HOS’d.

• TMI, TN, BW, TT, CT – because if you don’t know the MP scene, you’ll get fleeced like a PL noob.

 

Honestly, yeah, it’s an IE for new players, but you either sink or you LS. Get into a decent FTW faction, find a DH who’ll drop some knowledge, and before you know it, you’ll be dropping Xans in the GYM like a proper HC.

 

GLHF, don’t get NBK’d. DN are available if some extra help is needed.

 

(But true, it wasn’t easy at start)