My opinion is scripting in general is fine - Things like TornTools, etc.
But on the discussion of scripting with websockets and page scraping? If you do it for yourself, such as scraping your inventory for what ever reason, your company for stats and recording purposes and so on, then go for it.
But these mug bots and scripts have ruined the mugging scene. At one point it took some sort of skill to mug people, but those bots made it pointless in even trying because before you could even click the attack button, they were mugged already.
Using scripts and the API can give you an advantage over regular players already in some circumstances, but to remove all skill needed to snipe good purchases, or mug people, or this, that and the other just makes me wonder why people even play the game at that point?
I guess I'm repeating what everyone has already said before, but oh well.
I think an interesting thing for the API would be to just open it up to the Market, Auction House (doesn't have end times that I can see?) and Bazaars properly, but those who list anonymously are hidden from the API. People can have their bots if they so wish, and people can hide from them if they so wish.
Is it fair? I'd say no, but regardless people are going to find a way around it eventually like everything else.