Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Rocket Scientists Post Interviews

Started by gusgusgus [3912725] on in General Discussion.

16 replies · 194 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
70
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Benjisaur [1486947] ×4 ThtAstronautGuy [1977683] ×4 Darkfall [2465123] ×4 DarthRevan [2836054] ×4 Samualdi [3256284] ×4

gusgusgus [3912725]

Hi There! 

 

Going into Eliminations this year, I knew that I wanted to have potential leaders answer some basic questions on what they thought made them a good pick for Team Captain. What I didn't expect is that this would evolve into full-on Candidate Interviews, Endorsements, and having an absolute blast talking to so many people! I'm so grateful to everyone who took the time to chat with me, and for all the kind words from the team along the way. In talking with our Team and Vice Captains, I decided to do Post Interviews, in which we look back and discuss some of the inner workings of heading an Eliminations team. My hope is that this sheds a little bit of light on what it's like to be a Team or Vice Captain, how much work goes into it, and the decision-making process along the way. 

 

Without further ado, here's what the leadership of Rocket Scientists had to say after we were eliminated:

 

Team Captain:

ThtAstronautGuy [1977683] - Click HERE to jump to Q & A

 

Vice Captains: 

Benjisaur [1486947] - Click HERE to jump to Q & A


Samualdi [3256284] - Click HERE to jump to Q & A


Darkfall [2465123] - Click HERE to jump to Q & A

 

DarthRevan [2836054] - Click HERE to jump to Q & A

Mentions: Benjisaur [1486947] · Darkfall [2465123] · DarthRevan [2836054] · Samualdi [3256284] · ThtAstronautGuy [1977683] · Rocket Scientists Post Interviews

gusgusgus [3912725]

ThtAstronautGuy [1977683]

 

Q: Before we jump in, I just wanted to say thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions throughout this whole process. The (Gold?) dust is starting to settle, Elims are coming to a close soon; how are you feeling?

 

Astro: A little less tired than before 😆 Got my first full nights sleep since elims started

 

 

Q: Glad to hear you got some much needed rest! Walk me through the strategy along the way. What was your plan going into day 1, and how did it change along the way?

 

Astro: Well my initial plan was the usual elims meta of find a core 1 or 2 teams to work with, then build up to a rough 6v6 or 7v5 type deal. This more or less continued until LCs big push there against us, but with lots of back rooms talk as we all tried to not be the next team out. After that, we were basically just in a normal roughly locked in 3v3

 

 

Q: Could you say a little more about those first few days? When did the meta become more clear to you? Who were you initially hoping to work with?

 

Astro: It became clear once people started talking about what was next after IO/9L got eliminated. And basically all discussions were "who is next", and not making true alliances

As for who I was hoping to work with, I'll keep that to myself in case I decide to subject myself to sleep deprivation for a week again 😆But I will say we ended up working very closely with LDP

 

 

Q: Fair enough, how about, who did you think were some of the stronger teams? Who did you under or over estimate?

 

Astro: Everyone could see the strongest team was touching grass, they had the biggest team by stats. I think we over estimated Brain Surgeons a touch, they looked like a reasonably strong team, and Zuni is good at playing the game of elims. But we by far underestimated Reptilians. They absolutely killed it at the bottom, when we thought they were done for. I think much of that is thanks to KillerCareBear and her voice chat tutorials. She really whipped her nooblets into shape.

 

 

Q: Overall how was being the Team Captain for you? Would you do it again?

 

Astro: My experience being a team captain was the best I have had yet in elims. There was a great supporting team behind and alongside me. I never really had to worry that internally things would fall apart while I focused on alliance discussions, had to sleep, or had to be out of the house.

I am always up to leading an elims team, however unless I forget about the sleep deprivation, I think next year I will stick to being a more supportive role, like council or vice captain, or like how I had sam, benji, and Revan running things internally for comms teams, push captains, etc. Less stress, and I'll get more sleep!

 

 

Q: Success in Elims depends on a variety of factors, one of which is funding. Can you say a little on how you approached the financial side of things, such as buying revives, mercenary hits, and providing Xanax, temps, boosters?

 

Astro: On the donations side of things, we were very liberal with things like xanax. The more xan we got out, the more hits we got in return. While we were largely in a position of power, we did not do revives or merc hits. But once we got med locked and were really getting hit hard, I started using our cash to get revives and merc hits to allow people to hit longer, and keep us from bleeding as much. You really have to balance what you can do with the resources available, and prioritize. If we'd had say, 20 billion in cash lying around we'd have done things completely differently because there would be so much more room to play with.

Med items temps and boosters were easy. We got far more than the team could use, so they went to anyone who wanted them.

 

Q: All said, how much money did you have to play around with, and how much did you dip into your personal wealth?

 

Astro: I'm sponsoring 1 day of our top hitter raffle (100m), all 4 days of which entirely came from the leadership team. We're still waiting on our revive bill, and depending on how large that ends up being I'll be contributing more towards that. When we stopped the offensive revives, the rough guess was we had already blown well past the 200m initial amount I wanted. We will probably be a couple hundred mil short, which I am going to cover part of.

With giveaways we were a bit over 1b in cash, xanax we distributed more than 1100, Meds were a couple thousand total, temps a thousand or so, and cans was a couple hundred, although the tracking for that in the sheet is clearly broken

We're not done sorting out all the transactions yet, but a few billion I’d guess.

 

Q: A real turning point in this Eliminations was around our decision to flip to targeting Apex. What can you tell me about the internal discussions there?

 

Astro: It felt to Andrew and I like Apex had been leading us (and basically every other team) along with promises of the top 3. Combined with some talk from S&S, we felt used, and with the position we were in at the time had no path left to the top 3. So we decided to jump the shark, and try and change our fortunes with the other teams who had not given us any reason to distrust them.

In the end, it unfortunately did not change our fortunes, but it ended up being a hell of a lot more fun and elims chat absolutely POPPED when those orders went out, and we kept that energy way up until the very end!

 

 

Q: Eliminations are steeped in politics. You talked earlier about the meta, I'm curious, how much did previous Eliminations impact this year's? And how do you imagine this year might impact future Elims?

 

Astro: Air went out first because of previous elims. No one trusted her for anything. Reputation can mean a lot, if you're a lead known to be trustworthy people might be more willing to work with you, and if you're known for otherwise people won't want to work with you.

I don't know if we'll see the more survivor style eliminations again. It was more efficient, but less interesting. I think it was certainly a byproduct of the 10v2 that existed to eliminate air.

 

 

Q: Over the years there have been tweaks to how Elimination works. How do you feel about the structure of this year? Are there any changes you'd like to see going forward?

 

Astro: I really like the format of elims. I feel the attacking format has been honed in nicely over the last 10 years, and the new official leadership process is excellent as well. I do think that next year changing stealth to actually work properly is needed. 

That said, I really like this proposal to change elims: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=4&t=16602890&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=0

 

 

Q: You said in your farewell post that this year was your favorite elims that you've participated in. What do you think elevated the Rocket Scientists above the rest?

 

Astro: I mean, the name obviously had me excited from the start 😆But, the team I was working with this year was excellent. I had a lot of fun working with everyone in the leadership team, and the members. We had some good energy going from the start, but once we did the switch and began shark hunting, seeing that pop in the chat as everyone kicked into gear and got hyped and began attacking at full tilt. It was so much fun, and just writing that first newsie got me hyped!

That night, I thought I was going to be woken up by DarkFall giving me a call at like 4am to tell me we were about to be eliminated, but to my surprise when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, we still had 16 lives! I very happily went back to bed, and when I woke up I saw that we had even taken some of Apex's lives! Just a lot of fun, and a real emotional roller coaster over those last 24 hours

 

 

Q: Did you wanna add any last words?

 

Astro: We are all Andrew on this blessed day

 

Mentions: ThtAstronautGuy [1977683] · [Elimination] Revitalize the Comp with Staggered Life Loss

gusgusgus [3912725]

Benjisaur [1486947]

 

Q: What a ride! As things are wrapping up, how are you feeling about this year's Elims?

 

Benji: Fantastic gusandrewgus_616, but then I do absolutely love eliminations. I was riding the high of winning last year with MH but honestly enjoyed this year just as much! Looking forward to seeing the winner revealed soon. I put quite a bit of time into it this year so glad to have caught up on my sleep!

 

 

Q: I'd say you were crucial to the team's unity and enjoyment. Can you walk us through some of your efforts on that front?

 

Benji: Well I said I wanted to see us organised and successful, not limited by our coordination, unity, morale or anything like that. So that's what I did my best to strive for! I mostly filled the gaps in the team, covering timezones etc, did some data, wrote some push materials, and ran my so-called Motivational Patrol instead of the usual (Slacker) Patrol. I figured with so many new players in elims and on the team, we needed personalised outreach to get folks on their feet. I think I handed out every personal booster and many of my supplies to the team, mostly via crashbeats, shoutout to that Andrew btw. I spent a lot of time in voice chat training and offering general guidance, tips, and encouragement to everyone, I hope that was appreciated by those that stopped by.

I was also hunting for a better slogan and battle cry, as much as I liked it, “It's Not Rocket Science”, well it just wasn't going to cut it. There were a few different jokes about Andrew through the early stages from players throughout the team; I prompted Malice to change his name, Astro renamed Darth, someone decided the leadership team were all multis of Joyboy_616 for some reason. Anyway I changed my name too and made the I am spartacus meme, and saw this thing had legs to be what we needed in the heat of battle. So I made some memes, and the 616 announcement and changed some names. Astro helped a lot with changing the names, it would have taken forever by myself. After that I just went full send on Andrew content and it became self-sustaining far beyond Andrewsaur, which was of course the goal. Andrew together have good Andrews. I think the bit I enjoyed the most personally was my Andrewfied rendition of the penultimate stanza of 'Charge of the Light Brigade' during the attack on Loose Cannons in chat. All that was left of Andrew, but not, not the Twenty-Three Hundred. (1583 at time of writing now)

 

 

Q: You mentioned to me that you had more cooking, anything you’d like to share?

 

Benji: Sure, mostly just lots more memes, some stuff planned for each of the teams if we were fighting them, that sort of thing, it feels like it would be a bit of an empty victory now to make them, so I guess we'll just have to wave farewell to Andrew content, but in our hearts we will know the true touch of Andrew. Probably would have gotten round to a Andrew Propaganda newsletter too I guess. Other than that, I didn't have any concrete plans, my hand was guided by the spirit of Andrew in the heat of battle.

 

 

Q: Your last transmission?

 

Benji: My final words eh, but I thought everyone had heard, that Andrew was the word, and the word, it was good. See you next year Andrews!

 

Mentions: Benjisaur [1486947]

gusgusgus [3912725]

Samualdi [3256284]

 

Q: This was your first time stepping up to the Vice Captain role, how much did it align with your expectations?

 

Sam: As a first time Vice Captain, it was an almost ideal alignment. While some more involvement in the strategy side of things would have been fun, the whole operation was fantastic. The guys were handling it amazingly round the clock - allowing me to take up other responsibilities.

 

 

Q: You've truly climbed up the ranks and are among the youngest leaders throughout Elims history. What would you say to those who are looking to eventually find themselves in a leadership position?

 

Sam: It’s a good aspiration to have. I would say to them to go for it and step up once they have some experience of eliminations in general and have been in a leadership / management role at faction level currently or prior, and make sure you get a good team alongside you who all align with the direction. However, make sure you have the time for it, because it’s genuinely very time consuming and can be draining energy wise, but you’ll get the chance to work alongside and meet so many fantastic people, and at the end of the day that’s what the game’s all about!

 

 

Q: How important was your previous role as a Push Captain in getting said experience? How different was being a Vice Captain?

 

Sam: Being a push captain previously helped me understand how important it is to have accurate, clear directions for the members to follow, and to keep your team motivated throughout the event! There is a fairly big step up between a Push Cap and a Vice Cap, however with leadership experience, it makes the bridge much smaller. It was quite different this year as it was a much more hands on role, planning and coordinating with our push captains this year. Some of which had never participated in Elims before, underwent some intensive “training” and absolutely smashed it.

 

 

Q: Elims can go by in a flash, any specific moments that will really stick with you?

 

Sam: Several moments, so hard to single any out, but I shall leave you with 2 great moments. The first, was the execution of Order_616. Chaos erupted and thousands of Andrews had been cloned. This then set the tone for the remainder of the event. Strength, determination and Unity.

The second moment was when we decided to go shark fishing and put the call out to drag apex down. I have never seen any group of people so hyped and ready for it than the Andrews of Team Rocket Science. Moments that will live with me.

 

 

Q: Last Question, What does your Torn journey look like from here? Can we expect to be seeing you at the head of future teams?

 

Sam: 100% you will. Whether it’s next year, or the year after, I will lead an Elimination team, and I will lead them to victory! My Torn journey though, is really only just starting. From here on out, my plan is to return home to my faction and focus hard on that again, grow and live up to the name!

 

Mentions: Samualdi [3256284]

gusgusgus [3912725]

Darkfall [2465123]

 

Q: Rocket Scientists went out in 6th place earlier today, how are you feeling?

 

Df: Defeated. Not specifically because we lost, mainly because i wanted more for those that dont have the Merits etc.

 

 

Q: Anything you would have done differently, looking back?

 

Df: Not at all. I can sit here and say "Yeah dont trust this guy, should’ve done xyz", but that is hindsight. If i was in the actual Team Captain’s shoes I likely would've done a worse job than Astro and it’s why I supported him entirely despite running for my own candidacy (unlike others).

 

 

Q: Oh? Was there some friction among the leadership team?

 

Df: Literally none. Astro did a great job selecting the team, I actually didn't know a couple that he selected and they were perfect for the job.

 

 

Q: What was your favorite meme from all this?

 

Df: FOREARM DREW! I got drunk and my phone autocorrected whatever the fuck i was trying to say from "For Andrew" to "FOREARM DREW".  And it has in my opinion far more to do with Elims than one might think. It’s all fine and well to be a part of a "team" because TORN put you in it, but being able to have a sort of "War Cry" or unifying quote does wonders for morale. I personally try to make Elims as fun as possible for all involved, even if we get shoved out in 12th place. if people are walking away from it enjoying themselves, we won.

 

 

Q: How did this Elims experience for you compare to previous year’s?

 

Df: It was only this Elim that I actually made it into Discords, Private Chats, and Alliance discussions as opposed to my previous (self assigned) role of Communicator. 2025 Elims (after it was closed for some time) was the opportunity I took not just to win but to get my own name out there. Leaders in this elimination literally CANNOT do everything themselves, that’s why there was always a self-appointed council before Elims actually supported that feature at all. The leaders do recognise those that take the time to be active and genuinely support not just the Team Captain but the entire team, whether that be through self volunteering if the Team Captain has made that available, or even just assuming the position and doing it anyway. Trust is the big factor and Elims creates a great opportunity for literally anyone to prove themselves as capable to be trusted. 

While I was a Vice Captain this year and involved in alliance discords where light strategy talk may take place, these alliances usually happened in private DM's first before official discord servers were made. I spent a lot of time this Eliminations getting to know those people once I was essentially "vouched" by Andrew or Astro to be trusted within those channels, and ultimately, stick to the plan that Andrew or Astro left for me and monitor these channels for any unrest or questionable movements. 

Long story short, make yourself known... No one is going to reach out to 1 person specifically in a pool of around 2000 individuals to ask whether you can be trusted.

 

 

Q: Last question, what are your plans for next Elims?

 

Df: Fun. Same as every elim ;) *insert "its only game why you have to be mad".gif*

 

Mentions: Darkfall [2465123]

gusgusgus [3912725]

DarthRevan [2836054]

 

 

Q: Overall, how do you think Elims went?

 

Darth: Other than a major tactical mistake that cost us the event, really good! I enjoyed meeting people and interacting with the wider community.

 

 

Q: I assume you're talking about flipping on Apex? How do you wish that had gone differently?

 

Darth: Without going into details I’m not sure I can share, the timing could (and should) have happened at a much more beneficial moment instead of right away. When trying to talk about long term tactics (when in top 3), I was told “we think about the top 3 when we get there right.” which is understandable as focus on what’s going on right now, but without a vision for the future there is no point focussing on the present.

 

 

Q: Do you wish you had more of a seat at the table?

 

Darth: I work at sea and if I’d been given a more important seat I’m not sure I could have lived up to it entirely. However I made it clear from the start I was there to talk tactics with, and wish I got the chance to prove that I am a decent battle tactician. Tis the issue of looking in from the outside. We all think things could work X way but in reality how are we to know without being actually involved.

However, I am still very grateful to have even been at the table at all! And enjoyed the overall experience.

 

 

Q: What was your favorite part of Eliminations this year?

 

Darth: Meeting all the amazing people we have in torn! Only so many you can meet whilst on discord, so taking part in elims is a sure found way to meet thousands of other amazing people

 

 

Q: So it was your first time being a Vice Captain, let alone being in Eliminations at all. How did it compare to leading a faction? Think you’d do it again?

 

Darth: I made the presumption that people can’t read, so I made things as simple as possible for the torn literacy rate(and insulted a lot of mothers, sorry peeps, I love milfs) so honestly not too different to a faction 🤣 I would 100% do it again and next time insist on getting at the main table!!

 

 

Q: Any changes you would like to see to the structure of Elimations going forward?

 

Darth: Unlimited teams, 250 max players per teams, 500 tickets per team, lives = teams *1.25. Think of the carnage it would cause, would be great fun. 

 

Q: Looking back, anything you’re particularly proud of?

 

Darth: Legally? No. Off the cards? Yeah a lot but I’d rather not incriminate myself 🤣

 

 

Q: Anything else you wanted to say on Elims this year?

 

Darth: Bring on next year baby!

 

Mentions: DarthRevan [2836054]

Benjisaur [1486947]

Public Apology to Sugar Valves btw, I didn't realise 100+ Rocket Andrews would leak our secret orders to you like that so fast.
Loose Lips Sink Ships, and also apparently the sanity of the Newspaper.



Samualdi [3256284]

Big apologies to AndrewValve for being inundated with the memes, Infact I take it back, they were sensational. 

FOREARM DREW!

ThtAstronautGuy [1977683] Moderator Official

Thank you for your excellent interviews throughout the week! They were a lot of fun to answer, and the candidate interviews before any of us even got elected certainly helped people make an educated decision for their voting! I really hope to have you on my team again in the future, because its awesome!

Benjisaur [1486947]

I have delved very deep into the main chat to find the original and can confirm this was one of yours, took a fair bit of finding though! Apologies for missing your credit right away, I saved this one since it was honestly one of my personal favourites!

HurryAndrew_616 Legendary Andrew! <3