Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Close

Started by Aidan [1358291] on in General Non-related.

69 replies · 593 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 70 / 70 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
70
Discussion span
→
Authority score
22 / 100
Historical score
36 / 100
Story score
63 / 100
Engagement score
74 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

GirlFriday [570368] ×2 CatHead [1581564] ×2 Skeleton [1842726] ×2 Kim [582646] ×1 883567 [883567] ×1 Beerstein [1322136] ×1 Yeret [1859926] ×1

CatHead [1581564]

English is my native language. I speak Spanish well enough to hold conversations about pretty much any topic (allowing for "what does that word mean?" on the odd occasion.)

I speak fairly limited Chinese, enough to say what I want in restaurants/shops and answer common questions people ask me day to day "Where are you from?" "Does your dog bite people?" etc... My Chinese is a work in progress.

McDallas [14757]

Oh man. Don't get jelly, but I need two hands to count the amount of languages I understand. Growing up was hard with many sleepless nights spent memorizing vocab.

Skeleton [1842726]

I speak English as my native language. I know basic Spanish, and I'm going to learn more at school next year. As for programming languages, I know HTML and a little PHP. Learning another language shows how crazy English can be. Nouns don't have gender in English, and the days of the week are capitalized (unlike Spanish). No wonder people think it's hard to learn English.

CatHead [1581564]
ThreeDog [1842726]

I speak English as my native language. I know basic Spanish, and I'm going to learn more at school next year. As for programming languages, I know HTML and a little PHP. Learning another language shows how crazy English can be. Nouns don't have gender in English, and the days of the week are capitalized (unlike Spanish). No wonder people think it's hard to learn English.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. English is hard for multiple reasons- irregular verbs, irregular plurals, irregular spelling rules, phrasal verbs, strict sentence structure and words stemming from Romantic languages and Germanic languages- meaning there are vast amounts of words included in English that even many natives will never learn.

Capitalisation of the days of the week and nouns lacking gender don't make it a crazy language.

Having said that, all languages are so easy that babies can learn them. They become harder as you mature- lack of exposure programs your brain to think only in a specific order. A language that seems hard to you is likely further from your native tongue than a language that seems simple. Spanish is reasonably easy to pick up compared to Chinese for a native English speaker. Korean, on the other hand, would be easier to learn than English for the average Japanese speaker. It all depends on how the languages are related.

Mentions: Skeleton [1842726]

LethalKiss [1801948]
CatHead [1581564]

I speak fairly limited Chinese, enough to say what I want in restaurants/shops and answer common questions people ask me day to day "Where are you from?" "Does your dog bite people?" etc... My Chinese is a work in progress.

Hahahahaha... Thanks for making me smile... I believe I hear something like that.... quite often
Take care there.

And for me.
Not much. Only those that my comp ask from me

I use https://www.duolingo.com/ for these one

Mentions: CatHead [1581564]

McDallas [14757]
CatHead [1581564]
ThreeDog [1842726]

I speak English as my native language. I know basic Spanish, and I'm going to learn more at school next year. As for programming languages, I know HTML and a little PHP. Learning another language shows how crazy English can be. Nouns don't have gender in English, and the days of the week are capitalized (unlike Spanish). No wonder people think it's hard to learn English.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. English is hard for multiple reasons- irregular verbs, irregular plurals, irregular spelling rules, phrasal verbs, strict sentence structure and words stemming from Romantic languages and Germanic languages- meaning there are vast amounts of words included in English that even many natives will never learn.

Capitalisation of the days of the week and nouns lacking gender don't make it a crazy language.

Having said that, all languages are so easy that babies can learn them. They become harder as you mature- lack of exposure programs your brain to think only in a specific order. A language that seems hard to you is likely further from your native tongue than a language that seems simple. Spanish is reasonably easy to pick up compared to Chinese for a native English speaker. Korean, on the other hand, would be easier to learn than English for the average Japanese speaker. It all depends on how the languages are related.



Yeah, I haven't decided if I consider those languages or not or what part of the brain is engaged there. To me it's more like maths and logic. I "speak" html, css, some php, some javascript, used to actionscript and lingo, but not sure if I feel attracted to learning that sort of thing because it engages the same areas of my brain that traditional languages do or if it's a whole separate interest. hmm?

Mentions: CatHead [1581564] · Skeleton [1842726]

Shiloh_V [1765616]

I wish I'd paid more attention to learning a language at school/college. Would love to speak another language now but I just found it pointless at the time (my only options were French or German). I've tried bits and pieces over the years and it's much harder as you get older! And not the same teaching yourself online, or CDs etc.

I'm going to Spain next week, as long as I can ask for a large vodka I'll be ok! (who stole the smilies?)