Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Android Torn CityWatch App

Started by Pipng13579 [531195] on in Tutorials & Guides.

276 replies · 9.07k views · thread synced · 15 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 277 / 277 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

kyle8048 [488020]

Sadly can't see myself using that due to security concerns. Also the push messages. How much memory do you think that will add up to over the course of a month?
Noc [1662321]
Â

kyle8048 [488020]

Sadly can't see myself using that due to security concerns. Also the push messages. How much memory do you think that will add up to over the course of a month?

Â
this sorry it might work for some but as above the security concerns and memory are major points also i didnt use the citywatch before-hand to be told oh you have mail youve got an event youve been hosped ect ect id rather just login and make some effort / enjoy the surprise factor but goodluck

also rey lol @ picking on the donations i always enjoy your posts

Mentions: kyle8048 [488020]

CatHead [1581564]

Will it take a lot of bandwidth to constantly update? That's something a lot of people seem to complain about on mobile Torn.

I might download it to check it out but I can't imagine using it too much. Torn's open on my computer when I'm using it, if I'm not on my computer that pretty much means I'm at work or out socially, which in both cases means I don't want to be using Torn.
Pipng13579 [531195]

Hi everyone,

1. I'm looking for android communications experts to verify that this app is not malicious. I know this is a major concern for everyone, so please hang on and hopefully we'll get a few to confirm this.
2. After running some trials, I calculated that it will take about 20MB a month if you refresh the app every 5 minutes. I will program in an option to allow you to set various refresh times.
Baccara [1617206]

First time I see this post, I'm really interested to test it if you still need. Torn City watch on my phone will be a sure nice things to have. Have a Nexus 5.
--master-- [377449]

Hey, good work Pipng13579. I've been hoping for a CityWatch style app for a long time.

I have a few questions, is this going to function pretty much exactly the same as the desktop program? (IE - Will it create a notification to tell me when my drug timer is up, or when I hit custom energy level) Your last post seems to suggest that it's a manual refresh, rather than working automatically when it detects some worth notifying me of, can you clarify?

Questions aside, I'd be more than happy to help beta test once security issues are addressed. Ched has always stated he wasn't interested in a CityWatch mobile app, so naturally I'm hesitant. Could Ched comment here to show his approval?

All the best mate, keep me up to date and I'll help however I can.
Pipng13579 [531195]

Hi NotQuiteDead & --master--

Thank you for showing your interest in this app! I will update you with the apk link once I finish the build.

To clarify, the CityWatch app will be much like the desktop app. The updates are automatically conducted at set intervals, but you are able to manually request updates as well.

I will contact Ched to reply in this chat as well. Thanks!
VeD [1635794]

Well, cant wait for it to be out xD

and i ll be happy to beta test it once ched replies to this forum :s

Good luck and Nice job :)
RazzyD [550144]

I downloaded it to my desktop, even though this is a app thread...anyway the program half hour later froze on me, and puter froze also. can u tell me if this will happen once in a while or just puter having a spasm?
Hammerhead [941890]

I would like to be a beta tester but only after a few security concerns are addressed.

1 Ched posting himself in this thread saying he approves like already asked.

2 If Ched would be willing to host the download link on the torn servers so it is downloaded from Torn and not an outside site just to make sure it is the right and approved app.

3 About the communication experts to make sure no 3rd party talks are taking place will they check every new release to make sure nothing gets added to the code after checking the initial checked release ?

Pipng it is not that I don't trust you but I don't trust anybody but Ched with my login info.
Eutopia [1009154]

Nice to see people doing something rather than a few moaning how there's no app!
I would love to try this out but I'm an iphone user. Good luck with this anyway!
Dave [272331]
RDizzle [1526820]
Â

Pipng13579 [531195]

Just ignore it if you're not willing

Right. And I suppose you should just ignore my post?

Nah, the point of the forums is for us to both post our opinions.


This is embarrassing. Someone has spent their own time and effort, probably quite a lot of it, to do something which may help out the community and you are being an ass about it. I think it is reasonable to ask for donations, now-a-days people ask for donations all the time with kickstarters etc, it's not like he is scamming people if the app actually works well.



I am on iphone, so won't be able to use it, but it would be awesome to have a version of Torn watch for iphone one day.

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195] · ReyDuvall [1526820]

ReyDuvall [1526820]
Â

Dave [272331]

it's not like he is scamming people if the app actually works well.

Right. Assuming that it will.

Sure, I raised an eyebrow when OP requested donations using bold-underlining, without letting us see even the tiniest bit of anything first. Is that really so unreasonable of me?

I don't particularly like it when people get in your face asking for money, so I posted a little 7-word sentence expressing my mild feelings on the subject and moved on, forgot about it completely, fed the baby and read part of a book. Meh. It's not that big a deal in my opinion. I literally only returned to the thread because of items in my ratings feed.

Mentions: Dave [272331]

cyberdude [1613175]
Â

Eutopia [1009154]

Nice to see people doing something rather than a few moaning how there's no app!
I would love to try this out but I'm an iphone user. Good luck with this anyway!


There have been plenty of these possiblities around, I have my own app running, for a very long time, but alas was not able to release to anything with regards to apps was dismissed. Another great champ also released exactly this, but was shunned upon.
So I'm also questioning why suddenly pipng (With next to none behind his/her name) was allowed to release this, when there are plenty of people already ready with this stuff.
I could release a cross-platform (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Modern UI App) edition of this within days, and I'd love to open source the code for everyone to see ;)

Mentions: Eutopia [1009154]

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

If the program works well and is good quality, I expect we can generate a special API key or some unique code for users to enter instead of their username / passwords. I'd want to know that the software is substantial and of high quality before devoting time to this however. Until then, use of your username / password is at your own risk.
Supreme1 [1726186]
Chedburn [1]If the program works well and is good quality, I expect we can generate a special API key or some unique code for users to enter instead of their username / passwords. I'd want to know that the software is substantial and of high quality before devoting time to this however. Until then, use of your username / password is at your own risk.

Â
Well there we have it, approval from his majesty himself.

Mentions: Chedburn [1]