131 replies · 2.66k views · thread synced · 7 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:132 / 132 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
132
Discussion span
→
Authority score
64 / 100
Historical score
46 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
83 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Chedburn[1]Admin
· 11 likes · :o I'm not pissed off? I'm just addressing concerns. I noticed a few people complaining about things that simply don't exist, or have no reason to complain about. I'm surprised you took my previous comments as hostile or angry, I …
Penicillin[1517799]Committee
· 9 likes · Props to the OP for this thread. The game is running quite stale. Regarding the attack system, I agree with dunmugmeh that I want it to be right, but Ched said the following after he was questioned about allocating programming …
Chedburn[1]Admin
· 8 likes · I've not seen any posts similar to this for a while. This is the first I've seen for a long time - and I have posted in it. We've also made 4 announcements / updates in the last month, which …
Was wondering if we could have another progression update.
I think I speak for a lot of players when I say that the game is getting fairly boring, there have been a few minor updates throughout the past few months, RESPO didn't add much as of yet, hi-low now looks pretty, as well as racing and the rest of the site and busting was changed drastically and then swiftly changed back to similar to how it was previously (wonder how much time was spent testing out the new 24hours jail time system) however the game play has been stale for years now truthfully.
In your last progression update on 19/08/14, you said attacking should hopefully be out 3-8 weeks from now. Tuesday marks 8 weeks since that post and obviously we have learnt to never rely on these time scales given and you yourself said it isn't in stone. For me though, a new attack system won't change anything in the game, it won't make bored players want to play more.
I for one want to know what is happening in regards to the new crime system, the new 10* company system (as companies are broken at the moment with size making no difference to profits) and the territorial war system as these will actually make a difference to the gameplay day to day and might be able to spark new life into the game as we have something to work towards and achieve. ON the 15/08/14 you mentioned that 'Sergey and Viktor' had done down from 'Bug reports have gone from 135 confirmed on Tuesday, to now just 93 on Friday' I appreciate their work as I have actually seen some progress in this department, but it frightens me that you then say
''Once caught up they can begin working on the territorial warfare system''
This to me inplies that the new territorial system hadn't even been started before that and who knows whether they are up-to-date on bugs now or not.
Also, I appreciate everyone is busy now so i'm guessing that halloween town and christmas town are not going to happen but we haven't had a global event in ages which is sad for everyone :(
I suppose all I am saying is that I would quite like another progress report if possible and finally, I presonally have no experience working in IT companies, that is not my field of expertise, however if I was running a company as you are I would expect people to get stuff done on time. If i am having house work done and paying a builder, if he constantly takes longer than predicted and doesn't do things well enough I would get another builder for future builds. I think most of us have been pretty damn patient in the last 2 years now, but I know a lot of people are getting tired of waiting for this undefined moment where the game may have something to achieve again.
Sorry for the rant... Just to say this isn't a Ched bashing thread, it is purely just a note on how I think the majority of players feel at the moment. Unless of course your whole idea is to make older players quit and make the website pretty so when you do your advertising you get new players who feel like catching up to us isn't impossible and are more likely to spend cash on DPs... if so that is probably quite a clever idea.
Dave
TL:DR - Can we have a progression update and reasons why xD
Sorry to hijack but was the new forums a part of RESPO as well?
I was wondering why they'd split the non-related section into ridiculously small bureaucratic sections which people might have an interest in some of the threads in, but can't be bothered going through them all. Seems senseless.
Rca [1860888]Sorry to hijack but was the new forums a part of RESPO as well?
I was wondering why they'd split the non-related section into ridiculously small bureaucratic sections which people might have an interest in some of the threads in, but can't be bothered going through them all. Seems senseless.
Me mean like how it was before RESPO?
The initial stages of RESPO are to set the frame work for future updates, not a major update in itself... [:sick:]
Rca [1860888]Sorry to hijack but was the new forums a part of RESPO as well?
I was wondering why they'd split the non-related section into ridiculously small bureaucratic sections which people might have an interest in some of the threads in, but can't be bothered going through them all. Seems senseless.
Me mean like how it was before RESPO?
The initial stages of RESPO are to set the frame work for future updates, not a major update in itself... [:sick:]
The new forums are actually something I quite like. I know these are the frame work, it's just he has spent 2 years building the foundations, but you can't live in foundations, you need a house ;) ----> analogy!
I wouldnt worry about the attack system being a bit late. If there is something wrong with it is for the best that it isnt released in a botched/unbalancing way. Or there could be more bugs with it that needs fixing. Imagine if new fighting was released and it simply wasnt right, this would be a disaster.
I want more work done on crimes and factions, so much more could be done to make them better. This game has too many little features which are pointless and effort is diluted trying to develope them all. So much more could be done with crimes and factions they are quite simplistic.
Im not so keen on the time spent on the casino, i know its popular with many players but the core of the game should see more developement. Most of the fluff is pretty pointless in my opinion.
I'm just annoyed at the lack of progress updates, if we had a schedule I'm sure most of us can plan accordingly. I question whether the admin team have tried something which is beyond them in expertise and/or man power in attempting RESPO but I do understand it is critical moving forward. I'd like to see Ched move more into the background, and feed more work out to others rather than being the face of the game. I think we have a desperate need for a player liaison officer to provide us with regular updates.
I think the lack of global events has been a major negative for most players as it adds something different to the day to day game play, and would also help to retain newer players who get sick of the same old. I think the lack of global events is a bigger negative at the moment than the positives created through RESPO.
Props to the OP for this thread. The game is running quite stale.
Regarding the attack system, I agree with dunmugmeh that I want it to be right, but Ched said the following after he was questioned about allocating programming resources to stupid stuff like hi-lo: "Attacking is complete, as already announced. We're waiting for the right time to release." That says to me that he is just sitting on it until he has less bug reports. I don't think he realizes how frustrated the player base is about the staleness of the game.
The OP also brings up a good point. The new attack system will be a cool change-up, but the real game changers will be the territory war system and crimes 2.0. Those things will really change game play and need to be implemented sooner rather than later.
I used to play a game that went from 20,000 players to about 200 now because the developer failed to update the game. Ched is doing the right thing, he just needs to do it faster before the player base dwindles more. It is much easier to retain an existing player than to bring in a new one and get them hooked on the game.
Dave [272331]busting was changed drastically and then swiftly changed back to similar to how it was previously
Not true.
1. It gives far less CE 2. It is far harder, even for your first bust of the day 3. They lowered the amount of people you can bust a day to less than 1/10th of what it was
So it's way different in several respects. Only 1/4 of it was changed back. Weird statement in OP.
It's very good point. We have development in so many areas which frankly only interest/excites a small fraction of players like new casino game, racing (still not much to achieve there) while core features of the game haven't changed for years.
Most people are extremely excited for companies, crimes, factions 2.0 and could care less about the marginal updates. I feel a major point in keeping the player base happy is to add somewhat frequent changes to game which change people's gameplay (but not ruin it). But for most parts my gameplay has been the same for the past 2+ years now. Training, training, a bit of trading and a bit of chaining.
I appreciate and respect all of the input to this thread and others that are similar. Many valid points are raised and discussed.
Blah blah blah. Its so boring. This that and the other.....whatever.
Ultimately, if I signed up today. (And did not use mobile) I would be super excited and on my way to developing a psychological addiction to this game.
Step back and get back to basics...its a great game with heaps of features that is lots of fun to play...... At the end of the day its all about fun... Don't take it so serious, just strip it back to the basics and have some fun.
I used to get offended by Cheds attitude towards all this great stuff until one day i was able to step back and change my perspective and appreciate what's going on....( its easier when you do not have a blue name)
warring other factions is just one big joke to them, we can't hurt them, instead we are forced to hosp noobs to build chains rather than warring the enemy and when you do hospitalise players, they like it because they can get their medical awards... no rewards or recognition for warring up the HOF, respect is pointless... the list goes on...
Maybe not, but as someone who's put in real money, and nearly seven years of time into Torn, it's always nice to feel part of the game, rather than just a faceless consumer of product.
Being kept informed is the easiest and quickest way of being made to feel a part of the game as a whole.
Maybe not, but as someone who's put in real money, and nearly seven years of time into Torn, it's always nice to feel part of the game, rather than just a faceless consumer of product.
Being kept informed is the easiest and quickest way of being made to feel a part of the game as a whole.
I agree. I haven't put any money into torn for maybe 7 or more years and even then it was only $5/10, but I have had donator status solidly for the last 7 years and obviously someone had to buy the donator packs and if we weren't buying them with torn cash then no one would buy them with real money to sell on :p so in reality I am contributing. Obviously ched has made some serious money on this game as well and if he invests wisely IRL can probs have a comfortable life because of us. So I would say that he owes the players of this game a little bit although he does deserve it for making a solid game.
Good post, definitely one a lot of us can relate to.
Im surprised by the sheer number of inactive companies used as a bank. It has made finding employees for a company a hell of a lot more difficult than it could have been. The companies update cant come quick enough in my opinion.
As an example of the real unbalanced companies these days;, there is a whopping 17 pages worth of 5 star sweetshops currently in operation, and this number will only likely grow in the future!
I would like to see company regression back through the stars if the company loses efficiency/profits etc. I would also like to see the number of companies able to reach a certain rank restricted, so it makes it more difficult to over-through those their first and take their place at a higher star rating. Just some of my suggestions for the update.