Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Android Torn CityWatch App

Started by Pipng13579 [531195] on in Tutorials & Guides.

276 replies · 9.07k views · thread synced · 15 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 277 / 277 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Stretch [1846075] Officer Officer

Wow lots of negative nellies in this thread before anything is known. Lets give the guy a shot at developing it, if someone is testing this, they need to beware of course, but if you are worried, don't do it. Let's get this off the ground, see what it can be, and then get a solid app that can then be properly authenticated.



Love the idea, cant wait to see it live
leslie2 [18908]

Ping this seems like a great idea :) however I would only use this when complete and officially supported on TC servers.

depending on the quality of the app when released I may also donate a large amount of TC cash for your effort as this would be something I would use everyday.



Pipng13579 [531195]

Thank you for your positivity Stretch & Dirty-Tiger!

With regards to donations, please do so according to your own discretion, but I would like to add a side note once again that this is not my main aim! (Because the previous discussion I had regarding this left a really sour taste in my mouth) I've built this app because it made Torn so much more mobile-friendly for me, and it doesn't make a difference for me whether I share it with more people or not, but since it benefits others to share it, there is overall merit to share it.

Beta-testers have been testing the app and providing feedback. Not many bugs and those found have been fixed already. We're waiting a few more days so that the first release of the app will be good enough for sustained use.

With regards to security, it's really unfortunate. As WaterFreak has said, we are all caught in a catch-22 situation. To get the authentication feature to resolve the worry of an insecure app, I need sufficient interest in this app, but this app lacks the interest because of the possibility of a security risk. Nonetheless, I've added links in a previous post for public software that test the network communications of android applications. I'm really hoping that someone can use it to prove the security of the app, which should tide us through till when Ched releases the authentication feature (hopefully).
laughinghyena [1617991]

I have tested it and its working nicely. A lot of hard work has went into this but it is even working on my tablet. Thank you . Now, to get admins on it or at least approval . It would be a huge help for the ones that cant get the watch to work for them .
Supreme1 [1726186]

I would absolutely love to test and provide feedback for this so that we could increase the interest in it but unfortunately I don't have an android device. (hint hint)
Pipng13579 [531195]

Haha, sorry Kole, but iPhone app development will have to come later. Let me get the android version up and running first!

Thanks silentdragon, I've contacted you already.
Hades [1728299]
[image: 33.media.tumblr.com]

Good for you buddy. Never mind the negative posts. This will for sure be used by a lot of people and lots will be very happy that this is happening.
Hope it all goes well and don't have any problems completing it. People have been asking for an app this long time. Now they can all stfu and enjoy it. xD
Pipng13579 [531195]

Thanks Hades, really appreciate your post!

The good news is that the beta-testing version is working already, but I'm hoping to catch all the bugs before posting it here, because it'll be really messy if I keep posting updates (like app version fragmentation, bug reports from legacy users, etc.). It should be out real soon though! :D
silentdragon [1615297]

OK, so first, hat's off to Pipng for the excellent work. I had my own reservations about using a third party created app, those were quickly put to rest after a full decompile and day and a half look at the inner workings of the CityWatch android app. There were exactly three network based calls...all of them were to torn servers for time/citywatch api and citywatch auth. Still, I can be skeptical, so I passed it through an emulator first and ran with a debugger attached, NO external calls. Awesome! Now its time to actually run the app, it runs, I login ... Exactly as advertised, everything I need, nothing I don't.

Important Notes:
1)Version 1.7.3.3
MD5 Hash 5DDC158C272CD66D647B4516D33A0D6C

2)Only communicates with torn...specifically:
hxxp://www.torn.com/citywatch-auth.php
hxxp://www.torn.com/citywatch/time.php
hxxp://www.torn.com/citywatch/api.php

3)Login and password are stored in the application context(IF you so choose), using the android.content.SharedPreferences method
Since this is private data it makes sense to use this method rather than a sqlite db...
To explain further...would you rather your password be locked up tight or inked on your forehead.
Nice choice OP, this would have been a make or break point for me here.

4)I tend to use tasker quite a bit on my phone along with greenify, I haven't automated any actions with tasker but I did try to have it hibernate with greenify...well...that was just dumb of me...because of how the code HAS to be written(Torn doesn't push data, app can only poll to check), If you hibernate the app it suspends its ability to check(background refresh), this is not a flaw of the app but of how we currently utilize torn. If torn's api had the ability to push I could save an extra 1% battery life over 24hours(agressive checking at 30 seconds, I have mine currently set to check every 5 minutes as this suits me fine)


Excellent work!

Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11
OnePlus One
5.5 inch display
laughinghyena [1617991]

Ok I've been testing this program for the past few days. You have to manually program in your specific needs..........ie energy level that you want to be notified for ( I put 145 so as to be on when I made it to full energy).then you can input your happiness the same way and your nerve. Then you can also, let it notify you about messages and events or turn them off . Now you also can set the times you want to have it check 30 seconds 1 minute 2.5 mminutes 5 minutes 15, 30 and an hour . Or you can simply pause it completly . Then its got booster , education , drug and travel notices , letting you know about them also . All in all it is a very good app all secured . I would like to now take time to thank Pipng13579 for the hard work put into this .
-R3x- [483525]

Ok, so i have tested this app out, and all seems very smooth, very accurate and overall just a brilliant app. I would recommend it to all android users. There are a few teething issues, which have been addressed , and will be fixed in no time. Big credits to the creator of this, has to be said, this addition/update to torn, im more excited about, than all this RESPO crap xD

Definitely check this out guys, you wont be disappointed.

BIG thanks to Pipng13579, and anyone else who participated in the creation of this beauty!!
I will be an endless user, as im sure a lot of others will be too.

Thanks
-R3x-
Stretch [1846075] Officer Officer

So far, going quite well, one thing I would suggest for future releases, allow us to choose the sounds vs using system default sounds =], even cooler would be the ability to incorporate the actual sounds from the desktop model.