Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Settle an argument

Started by Marauder [436873] on in Music.

20 replies · 144 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
23 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Mentioned in this thread

Miller [238240] ×1 Marauder [436873] ×1 dunmugmeh [538353] ×1

Marauder [436873]

So I'm having an argument about what is the most recognisable guitar riff from a song of all time, I'm torn between 2.

1. Smoke on the water by Deep Purple, 2. Back in Black by ACDC.

My friend is adamant that Kasmir by Zeplin is...

Thoughts or better riffs peoples?
dunmugmeh [538353]

I love a good bit of guitar in my music :P

Music is changing a lot for us old people, live music is often better and you can see plenty of that on youtube.

Im with your friend on Led Zeppelin, this isnt the same song it is immigrant song live from 1972 apparentely. It probably isnt from the same concert though.

The guitar on this is funky as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hZ6OytDxo
Marauder [436873]
dunmugmeh [538353]I love a good bit of guitar in my music :P

Music is changing a lot for us old people, live music is often better and you can see plenty of that on youtube.

Im with your friend on Led Zeppelin, this isnt the same song it is immigrant song live from 1972 apparentely. It probably isnt from the same concert though.

The guitar on this is funky as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hZ6OytDxo

While I agree with you on this (and a lot of music) being an amazing Zeplin track and an amazing live gig I wouldn't count it as being one of the most reconisable guitar riffs of all time. I feel this is more known for Plants wailing then for the riff imo.

Mentions: dunmugmeh [538353]

Marauder [436873]
Miller [238240]Stairway to heaven

Wouldn't say the guitar riff in this classic is most reconisable either, again Plants voice and haunting harmonics make this track. I'm looking for a riff that you can just tell what it is no matter who plays it no matter how badly and on what intstrument.

Mentions: Miller [238240]

Gungrave [470221]
Marauder [436873]So I'm having an argument about what is the most recognisable guitar riff from a song of all time, I'm torn between 2.

1. Smoke on the water by Deep Purple, 2. Back in Black by ACDC.

My friend is adamant that Kasmir by Zeplin is...

Thoughts or better riffs peoples?

I'd just say both

I'm sure due to the fact Back in Black has been sampled and used in more music and movies along with video games compared to smoke on the water. Smoke on the Water however despite being used less in various media than Back in Black is just as recognizable because Deep Purple has been around since the late 60s and they have fans ranginge from teenagers up to those nearing retirement age which isn't something ACDC can lay claim to.

Mentions: Marauder [436873]

Delyrium [904573]

I would've picked Smoke on the water, but I would say that probably Black Sabbaths Iron Man is more recognizable at the moment.
Gogs247 [1531870]

Either:

1. Smoke on the Water

or

2. Paranoid

I would go with Smoke closely followed by Paranoid. Back in Black can't be far behind though.
Gogs247 [1531870]

Not really the end of the conversation. War Pigs is not even Sabbath's most recognisable riff, never mind THE most recognisable riff ever!
Marauder [436873]

My point is though, if you heard Back in Black played by a 12 year old learning the guitar no matter how mashed up it was you would reconise it.
Rocker [3782]

Between those 2 choices I give it to Smoke on the water. It's the first guitar lick that every n00b player learns.
lmcgurn [471012]

Surprised that nobody has mentioned seven nation army, that has to be up there, or maybe walk this way too, master of puppets, johnny be good (not really a riff but very recognisable) there are dozens of riffs that almost anyone can name by the first 2 notes alone though, the most recognisable is a pretty hard thing to pin to one song as it is a matter of opinion.