So I'm having an argument about what is the most recognisable guitar riff from a song of all time, I'm torn between 2.
1. Smoke on the water by Deep Purple, 2. Back in Black by ACDC.
My friend is adamant that Kasmir by Zeplin is...
Thoughts or better riffs peoples?
I love a good bit of guitar in my music :P
Music is changing a lot for us old people, live music is often better and you can see plenty of that on youtube.
Im with your friend on Led Zeppelin, this isnt the same song it is immigrant song live from 1972 apparentely. It probably isnt from the same concert though.
The guitar on this is funky as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hZ6OytDxo
Stairway to heaven
dunmugmeh [538353]I love a good bit of guitar in my music :P
Music is changing a lot for us old people, live music is often better and you can see plenty of that on youtube.
Im with your friend on Led Zeppelin, this isnt the same song it is immigrant song live from 1972 apparentely. It probably isnt from the same concert though.
The guitar on this is funky as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hZ6OytDxo
While I agree with you on this (and a lot of music) being an amazing Zeplin track and an amazing live gig I wouldn't count it as being one of the most reconisable guitar riffs of all time. I feel this is more known for Plants wailing then for the riff imo.
Mentions:
dunmugmeh [538353]
Miller [238240]Stairway to heaven
Wouldn't say the guitar riff in this classic is most reconisable either, again Plants voice and haunting harmonics make this track. I'm looking for a riff that you can just tell what it is no matter who plays it no matter how badly and on what intstrument.
Mentions:
Miller [238240]
Marauder [436873]So I'm having an argument about what is the most recognisable guitar riff from a song of all time, I'm torn between 2.
1. Smoke on the water by Deep Purple, 2. Back in Black by ACDC.
My friend is adamant that Kasmir by Zeplin is...
Thoughts or better riffs peoples?
I'd just say both
I'm sure due to the fact Back in Black has been sampled and used in more music and movies along with video games compared to smoke on the water. Smoke on the Water however despite being used less in various media than Back in Black is just as recognizable because Deep Purple has been around since the late 60s and they have fans ranginge from teenagers up to those nearing retirement age which isn't something ACDC can lay claim to.
Mentions:
Marauder [436873]
smoke on the water. hands down.
I would've picked Smoke on the water, but I would say that probably Black Sabbaths Iron Man is more recognizable at the moment.
Either:
1. Smoke on the Water
or
2. Paranoid
I would go with Smoke closely followed by Paranoid. Back in Black can't be far behind though.
CCR's Up Around the Bend, hands down for me.
War Pigs.
End of conversation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGPD0ZBiMs0
Not really the end of the conversation. War Pigs is not even Sabbath's most recognisable riff, never mind THE most recognisable riff ever!
Er, Purple Haze
It even takes me a while to truly recall which song is Back in Black. To the point where I had to go on youtube just to be sure >.<
My point is though, if you heard Back in Black played by a 12 year old learning the guitar no matter how mashed up it was you would reconise it.
Between those 2 choices I give it to Smoke on the water. It's the first guitar lick that every n00b player learns.
pop
smells like tween spirit would certainly be up there
Surprised that nobody has mentioned seven nation army, that has to be up there, or maybe walk this way too, master of puppets, johnny be good (not really a riff but very recognisable) there are dozens of riffs that almost anyone can name by the first 2 notes alone though, the most recognisable is a pretty hard thing to pin to one song as it is a matter of opinion.