Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Crit fest

Started by Exchange [978092] on in Questions & Answers.

15 replies · 219 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 16 / 16 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
16
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
11
Authority score
45 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
34 / 100
Engagement score
59 / 100
Exchange [978092]

Has anyone else noticed that during an attack :

1. You get crits back to back
2. Or none at all

There are random single crits too, but getting 2 or 3 crits back to back is kinda common in new system (In my observation)


P.S. Staff may move it to GD if this thread doesn't belong here.
IIIlusionist [253384]

Pretty sure it is random. But you can increase your chance with weapon accuracy and merits.

I have had back to back critical hits too, and sometimes I go a whole fight without one....but usually get at least 1 as i now have 10/10 in critical hits merit.

Take me and HenkiePuk as an example:

I only had about 6-7 merits in critical hits till recently, and 10% of my hits are critical compared to his 15%. (NB: he has done triple the attacks I have done, but % of critical is still much higher, so merits must help)
_chem_ [1563587]

It's just random, back to back crits aren't that uncommon nor are lots of non-crits. I'm not sure of the % but you have a base percent chance of critting, plus education courses done (a Biology course gives +5% critical rate), plus merits (lots of people have crit merits as they are one of the best attacking merits).

I land 12.3% crits which is right in line with my boosts: +5% education, +7% from merits, plus whatever the normal crit rate is. Getting a couple in a row is not super uncommon.
Exchange [978092]

Random is not actually random. There is a pattern in random() function as well.
I also have 10/10 crit,100% weapon exp and 9/10 mastery. But the most interesting thing of attack logs is consistency of crits!

If i get them, they are usually 2-3 back to back in one log, sometimes there are 1 or none.
IIIlusionist [253384]
If i get them, they are usually 2-3 back to back in one log, sometimes there are 1 or none.

So random [:laughing:]

Could be a pattern...let me know if you find it [:tongue:]
Tigrrrrrr [132684]

It only seems like you're getting more crits because fights are going longer so you get more chances. Used to be if you got a crit, the fight was over so you would rarely get the chance for back to back.
Chigurh [1765291]

The Torn player base is one Superstitious lot! Here are the simple statistics, for your pleasure.


You get a crit hit based on your overall crit hit % (base rate + merits + biology course), like _chem_ said.

Weapon experience and mastery only helps your accuracy, i.e. to hit more often. The more you HIT, the more crits you get in absolute value (i.e. the crit hit merits will be a bit easier to get), but the RATIO stays the same. Check your total number of hits - then check your crit hits. if your crit hit ratio stays the same, after a few thousand fights the amount of crit hit will be pretty much the crit hit ratio multiplied with total hits. It's as easy as that.

Some people also thinks some weapons inflict crit hits more often than others. There's no evidence of this. If you HIT 1000 times with a Baseball Bat, macana or a minigun, you will get the same amount of crit hits. Of course, you will have to fire a LOT more times with the minigun to HIT 1000 times vs the macana, but that's all to do with low accuracy vs high accuracy.


Chance of crits back to back formula: (your accuracy x your crit hit chance)^2

Example: I have a macana, high speed vs target's low dex, and some weapon experience. Accuracy is 93 %. My crit hit chance is 12 %. Chance of back to back = (0,93x0,12)^2 = 0,012 = 1,2 % chance. If I do 1000 attacks (each consisting of minimum 2 hits), It'd be VERY probably I'd get a back to back crit. In fact, the chance I won't get it is 1:2500. And you will probably hit more than twice in each attack too.

Same goes for no crits. Let's say the abouve fight ended in a stalemate because I did next to no dmg. I manage to get 23 hits out of 25 (93 % remember). What's the chance I DO NOT crit at all in this one single attack? Crit hit chance is still 12 %. Answer: (1-0,12)^23 = 0,053 = 5,3 %.





JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

"Some people also thinks some weapons inflict crit hits more often than others. There's no evidence of this."

I thought that a higher critical hit ratio was the reason people prefer to use doble melee weapons? After all, judged by their damage and accuracy they are actually worse than many cheap melee weapons.
IIIlusionist [253384]

i think it is to do with accuracy (or at least in theory).

So macana is better for critical hits then duals....but not sure if there is hard evidence for this
_chem_ [1563587]

A critical hit never misses (even if it hits for 0).

A normal hit does not need to land first to then have a chance at critting, if that makes sense.

Whether or not the attack is a critical hit is independent of weapon accuracy. You can have a weapon with 1% accuracy and you'll still have a chance of critting (and thus hitting) equal to all your +crit rate bonuses.
Chigurh [1765291]

_chem_, that has to be wrong. Here is why:

On my stat page, I can see how many hits I have, and how many crits. My crits are about 11,5 % at the moment. That is, 11,5 % of my total HITS. (around 12200 hits).

My crit rate is about 12 %. If I had a crit for every shot I made, regardless of HIT or MISS, I would have buckets more with crit hits. To be exact, I'd have about 47 % more crit hits, because my hit rate is 53 %. I ONLY get crit hits when I HIT, and only about 11,5 % of those HITS results in a CRIT.

I have done a fair amount of attacks and hits, so the numbers should be representative.

If you want to put it to the test, find someone with low Speed stats, biology course, arm him/her with a melee weapon with accuracy 10 rating, and record his/her crit and hit stats before and after. Then have 25 x 10 attacks on you. Repeat a few xanax worth of hits. You then record the amount of hits. If no hits - well, then no crits. In theory, if you have 4 xanax worth of attacks, i.e. 1000 hits and 40 stalemate, you should see a 5+x % (merit + base rate) crit hit if your theory is right (which, I am 99,9 % sure, it is not - no offence).



Hobbie [443763]

_chem_ is wrong about critical hits never missing: they are simply regular hits made special (hit certain body parts for increased damage).

I believe the confusion comes from "lucky hits" - at least in the old system, there was always a chance for a hit to be made regardless of speed or dexterity. It was eventually changed so you couldn't get a lucky hit within the first few rounds. Of course if you didn't have enough strength then it wouldn't cause any damage anyway.
No idea if this is the case in the current system however.
Chigurh [1765291]

I have made approximately 22.000 shots/stabs, which of 12.200 where hits, 10.000 miss. I did 2000 attacks before RESPO, 1500 attacks after RESPO. Still, the numbers add up perfectly. My crit hit number is exactly [hit ratio x crit hit chance]. If many of those "old attacks" had been "lucky hits", the numbers wouldn't add up.

I have also read in the old forums that you could score a crit even if you had zero stats. It may have been so years ago, before I started playing (500+ days), but not anymore it seems.

The only debatable value as I see it is the crit hit base rate. I've read (and assumed) it was 5 %, but in my experience it's more likely to be 3-4 %.