Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Reading

Started by paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper on in Hobbies & Interests.

82 replies · 342 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 83 / 83 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
83
Discussion span
→
Authority score
31 / 100
Historical score
38 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
73 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

anyone into reading ?
i have been reading fantasy fiction for years

best series i have come across has to malazan book of the fallen

anyone else interested in this genre
Nightmare [1637448]

I'm into reading fantasy, I finished a book series recently named "Sword of Truth" 11book series, one of my all time favorites overall written by Terry Goodkind. Some books were not as great I guess series changed writers a but book 5 "Faith of the Fallen" was one that I will never forget, it's my favorite book. R.A.Salvator has a huge amount of content out, he's how I got into reading when my friend pointed out his "Demon Wars Saga" which I love. I'm currently reading a series called "Wheel of time" by Robert Jordan, I don't know if I'm one of those people that likes everything but it's another one I find hard to put down lol.

I just looked into Malazan book of the Fallen and it has peaked my interests thank you, I will make it the next series I get into :)
Tecolote [1874925]

I'm a fan of fantasy as well. I love Raymond Feist's Rift War Cycle which is kind of classic epic fantasy. I agree with Nightmare about R.A. Salvatore. Definitely worth the read, the character of Drizzt is enough to sell the series. Lets see a few of the other series I like are the Belgariad by David Eddings, all books by Terry Brooks (Sword of Shannara will always be my favorite) and I really enjoyed the Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon. Last but not least one of my favorite fantasy authors is Terry Pratchett. His discworld series is something I still reread from time to time.
paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

nice to see others interested
i have read all sword of truth aswell enjoyed them a lot richard cypher is a beast with that sword :P
wheel of time one of my favourite sets of books ever read through them
as fast as i could never put them down matrim cauthon is my best character
also the last few books of WOT were done by brandon sanderson
who in his own is great has 2 book out in stormlight archive
both books are great cant wait for the next 1
never read the demon war saga but have them on my kindle awaiting time lol
read all the belgariad and the other set of books about him nice easy reading

im currently reading jim butchers codex alera
cant put the thing down either lol
never really got into pratchets stuff tbh enjoyed the tv shows they done about some of his books
i have read loads of books robin hobb trudi canavan
if u have any reccomendations post them always looking for new stuff
like swordsman type coming of age

also you should try the gentleman bastard set something a bit different to usual fantasy
Nightmare [1637448]

Yes I agree, I'm only in book 4 and Matrim Cauthon is an awesome character.
Richard cipher is a beast with or without the sword lol. That stretch with Ja'la dh Jin was awesome to read. I know there are to many good moments to count through out the whole series, but I am tempted.

Looked into the Gentleman Bastard set that also looks really good, another name on the reading list makes me wish i had more free time. Need to invest in some audio books. If you know any good audio books with good specific readers I'm into those too. I have Harry potter and LOTR on audio book and I can remember the readers atm but they are really good.



paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

i listened to the robin hobb books on audio was ok but found myself nodding off
and having to re listen to parts again XD
just not enough time for the amount of books i want to go through tbh
Nightmare [1637448]

Haha, I so know the feeling XD There are so many book series I know I want to read and so many more fantastic books I know I will never know about that I would have wanted to read. If I didn't need to work....life would have so much more reading in it. I currently work in a highly physical job so when I get home I just want to clean cook and relax with netflix, reading knocks me out now. I was reading the "necronomicon" by H.P.Lovecraft who I like a lot. Those old school horror stories with being so vague allowed to reader to picture whatever they wanted. When I sit down to get into it I get to comfy and just start to doze off nowadays. Also have a few high pressure deadlines for other aspects of life so that's been keeping me occupied in my waking hrs.

I am not the fastest reader, I'm actually pretty slow so audio books are pretty nice because they keep constant pace at my usual reading speed but I don't need to be holding the book. When I graduated high school I was a night janitor for a few years and worked solo, so just kept the audio books going for my 6-12 hr shifts. Without them would have been terrible job lol, with them I looked forward to work because I knew where I left off in the book and wanted to get back into it.
paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

yeah audio works for some
i work away from home also so i get sometime on my own most
nights to read and also when im travelling to and from work
i downloaded a few audiobooks from torrent sites a while back
cant remember what one though they had a load
Nightmare [1637448]

I know there is a free sight for legit free audio books. They only put on stuff that copyright has expired, which is like 76 years or something. There are a lot of really good authors like Jules Vern, and Lewis Carrol and more back in that era that content is free now. A down side for some people is that it's all donated readers, so from chapter to chapter sometimes readers and accents change drastically. I personally don't mind as long as I can still clearly understand them, and it adds something to it knowing that all of these people are putting there time in for free to distribute these incredible books to a modern generation like myself. I know I would not know about Jules Vern if it wasn't for the new Tron movie that I love lol and for that website that gives them away free.

Edit: LibriVox.org .....hmm I don't know about advertising rules to much but this seems more for the better of man than for the detriment of the community.
Nightmare [1637448]

Just looked it up, I haven't read many modern day fantasy except Twilight and vampire diaries. I know "haters gonna hate" but I liked them. I listened to audiobook vampire diaries and the reader did a really good job. That looks interesting from the stuff I saw on the wiki.
How are you liking the series so far compared to other series you've read? and what other series have you read?
Nightmare [1637448]

So true lol, that's one reason I like to watch something before reading it. I have the GoT books but haven't read them yet, partly because I'm busy and some because I'm just lazy after work >.< I read the twilight books after I watched the first movie, like them more than the movies. But that baseball scene in the twilight movie...that was sooo cool! I loved the way that whole scene went. Always pros and cons to whatever you are comparing I figure if you take them both in you can pick and choose the best of each and appreciate it.
JSnows [14906]

i started the malazan series a while back and flew through the first one ... i've been stuck halfway into book 2 for at least a couple of months now , in the meantime i've been reading a couple of other books

on a side note ... while i understand why this has been posted in "hobbies and interests" i'm pretty sure the appropriate sub-forum would be "art and literature"
Vik_ki [1514044]

A few years ago I watched the film (Beautiful Creatures) so I knew what to expect in the first book(though the film and the book have different endings) the second book was great and I am on the third one now, they are quite gripping. I liked the Twilight saga but fond the Vampire diaries quite boring (I like the TV series though) Sookie Stackhouse books were great,check them out :)
paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

They can be tough to go through loads of characters and warrens etc I read 1 book then picked up some nice easy reading then back to it again 2nd book is good that's the one chain of dogs unless I'm mistaken
Althea [1886602]

I'm going to show my age...but Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is still one of the best and most memorable books I ever read.
Auditore [1878539]

Hey guys I am also an avid book reader......

Havnt read many in fantasy, though my fav is the inheritance cycle and artemis fowl series.

I like Sci-fi and war. Anybody else into it?