people like Someone and Shoogs are thousands of days old, with amazing stats, but are level one
i know of a fair few people who started holding at 15, as they could fly ( myself included)
yet the majority of torn choose not to level hold (mostly for the life boost?)
do you think level holding is a good idea and why?
EDIT: in light of the new missions, do you think Ched wants to phase out level holing / make it less viable?
I opted out... Basically the only way I would see fit to hold would be if I needed to catch my stats up to whatever my level was... To me the life boost is too important...
KAT
PS: I do level slowly... Basically with crimes and gym gains for leveling experience... Not as quick as leaving in the streets but none the less does allow you to level... I prefer this in order to have more time to work on my stats in between levels...
I think if you done a lot of attacking for an entire level it is a really smart idea, being said I don't generally do a crazy amount of attacking for each level.
Life is just simply too valuable in a fight. I lost one fight *simply* because I had 2k less than my max life (worth 2 non critical hits against who I was fighting). I did 3.6k damage to him, he did about 2.3k damage to me.
If you hold you have to maintain a low profile if you expect to get a lot of defends in warring. As per someone going drug free I'd suggest holding a week or so to offset non druggy status. You post too much that people who watch before they attack would know you're stats are higher than what your drug use suggests.
honestly before they changed the life during respo it was good idea but afterwards not so much, you need life.
btw i am level holding now till i get my stats where they should be, i spent years of energy mugging and warring.
I never level hold. I like seeing big numbers as it makes me feel like a man... [:sick:]
Level holding is pointless IMO.
Mostly agree with U.E's post.
Level holding was worth it before Attacking 2.0 was released. Its much harder to get defends now that battle stat effects are more balanced.
So except you're
DeaLeR [375042] there's almost no need to level hold.
PS: Don't attack him, you won't win. xD
Mentions:
DeaLeR [375042]
only reason im level holding at level 81 is cause my level is artificially inflated due to years of mugging and i need to buff up a bit or i would just be a level target. i can understand maybe level holding in a situation like mine but not as a low level anymore or unless you held before and have insane stats, but the life is very very important now.
im just gonna level hold till im at 2 bill stats then ill move on up to 100 and then restart lol.
Most folks forget that life is a battle stat. Higher level = higher life. Life also increases based on a %-amount and not a set amount... which is a huge factor with med cooldown timers during wars.
An increase of free defends is the only tangible benefit to level holding. Defends are relatively cheap.
You are highly unlikely to become a punching bag that other players will spend precious energy to level off of.
Level holding is a horrible idea unless you are a high level (like 80+) with low stats, then level hold to build stats. Anything earlier is a waste, sure you will get a few defends but its not worth it with HP being so valuable. HP is the 5th stat, max it out with merits.
I had to accept your challenge and i know the guys a beast.I don't know him but have obviously heard of him and looking at his age,xanax and SE use his stats must be way in front of mine.I'm in the 700's in battle stats hof and i imagine he's probably in the top 100.I was on vico and took a serotonin part way through the attack which i might well have lost if i hadn't and he may well have been on xanax and need rehab.I didn't do this to brag but to emphasise some people's points above,life makes a huge difference now.If he levelled up i'd get my arse handed to me everytime.
http://www.torn.com/loader.php?sid=attackLog&ID=21f7b9fd4fcc242db1ad585774edaec8
It's personal choice whether to level hold or not and if you haven't reached the max defends merit and are way stronger than it appears you are in my opinion its probably still worth it to hold.Once you have reached the max number of defends merit i don't see the point of holding anymore unless in the unlikely event you move up so much you become a levelling target yourself.
Level holding creates more defends, more critical hits, more med items used, more ammo used, more finishing hits, and probably some other merits I'm forgetting. Should you level hold your entire torn life I don't think so because the level and rank awards are important too.
Keeping a low profile is pointless, if someone's going to read the forums they will check your important stats.
I still don't see the life argument. In a close fight life will make a difference but those fights are rare. Carefully picking your target can avoid most of those fights but that is true at any level. The more stats u have the more life makes huge difference. I see frequently very old and well stat players say life means a lot and their stage it does but an extra 500 life from lvl 18-27 doesn't mean very much.
On a side note it's really fun to get a defend against 3000+ old when I'm not even year. If it's during a war to then pick on that person by bountying and collecting(another merit). Just makes the game more fun.
My opinion work on those merits then upgrade, you can never go back.
level holding is pretty pointless. level holding at below 15 is pretty gormless.
i could beat someone many years ago and im 'drug free'.
if you use drugs you have to rehab or your stats are useless.
if you level hold you are also making yourself a lot weaker because of low life a LOT weaker its a combat stat, just not as important as the 4 you train.
this is the main reason to not level hold :P
It does create more defends if you are significantly stronger than you appear.Finishing hits i believe only count when you are the attacker,as for the other merits you mentioned picking your targets carefully would be a more effective way to attain them.
True... After all Most of us are more than impressed with Bodybagger's stats and level... [:grin:]
If you like the idea then try it, You can always level up if you're not happy with the results.
Keeping a low profile will mean that you won't be noticed for a while, and ONLY your level will appear. I know I don't bother checking most 50s & 40s, but I will check a level 60+.
I level held at fifty for a while then leveled up after the attack change. Now I am level holding for a while so I will have enough experience to go up at least two levels I do not want to be stuck on the next number.
You're one to talk, you've been at the same level for ages now!