45 replies · 355 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:46 / 46 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
46
Discussion span
→
Authority score
41 / 100
Historical score
28 / 100
Story score
59 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
ZombieQueen93[1710017]
· 2 likes · I am a Christian and I would never deny Jesus even if it cost me my life, so I would tell the truth and if the shooter killed me then at least I know where I'd be going.
PatBenatar[420347]
· 2 likes · The question is not meant to be right or wrong, just something to think about. My answer comes from my heart, and I hope I am strong enough if ever placed in that situation.
PatBenatar[420347]
· 1 likes · Source unknown but I do agree strongly. "If a man doesn't have something that he's willing to die for then he isn't fit to live" If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your …
That's not dying for your religion that's just stupidity unless you want to die.
A better question is would the shooter be justified in his attempt at assisted suicide? I mean are we talking about one of the religions built around things like threats of burning in hell for eternity for committing suicide?
Anyone who says No is stupid... And telling shooter I don't have a religion is just as bad, he will still kill you.. You have to say what he wants to hear, so his religion..
I wouldn't definitely do anything to keep alive. Your opening post is confusing though. You open with ".... would you lie to keep alive". To which I would immediately go to click the "Yes" option.
Then your actual poll question is "Would I die/lie for my religion". To which I would answer "No"
Now that a few people have spoken, this entire situation reminds me of the story of Jesus's last day, when his disciples turned his back on him. I am not a strong person but I really hope I could stand up and say with conviction I am a Christian and if its my time then so be it. I just pray if it ever comes down to that I would be strong enough.
Thank you for your answers, there is no right or wrong. And I would never be a person to judge on your opinions either in this sensitive topic.
I will pray for all those who have lost there lives who did stand up to the shooter yesterday.
In one classroom, he appeared to single out Christian students for killing, according to witness Anastasia Boylan.
He said, Good, because youre a Christian, youre going to see God in just about one second,' Boylans father, Stacy, told CNN, relaying his daughters account while she underwent surgery to treat a gunshot to her spine.
Why the f**k would you die for such a meaningless thing as religion, f**k he wanted me to say i'm a magical wizard from f**king hogwarts then yes if he has a gun to my head i'm more than likely to agree with him.
It becomes a problem if easily influenced weak willed people let it run their lives and/or effect how they behave when they are in public.
This may not be so bad if they are helping charities through their church/cult but there can be serious issues
Eg suicide car bombings, flying planes into buildings etc All of that sort of stuff is the result of brainwashing and conditioning and if the baby jebus ever existed which he didnt he wouldnt want you to kill people or hurt people.
Edit- this is a light hearted response to your theoretical question, real life incidents affecting real people is of course a tragedy. No offense intended there.
No offense but if you consider lying to someone that's pointing a gun at your head to survive dying for your religion you're an idiot, you're putting their beliefs and your life ahead of your own beliefs. You're giving them more power over you than your own religion. Someone that really believed wouldn't need to put their life out there because someone else believed they should.
As I mentioned before it's suicide not dying for your beliefs. Dying for your beliefs is putting your life at risk because you have no other choice to practice your beliefs. One idiot whackjob on a 5 minute rampage has nothing to do with that and if you think they do then your beliefs and the value you place on your own life are both a joke.
There's noting special about someone willing to die for a whackjob.
What if i decide to shoot the nut job before he has a chance to act? why is that not an option?
Kind of a dumb question imo. You would have to be a total moron to not say whatever you had to, to get out of that situation.
& anyone who would say otherwise can drop the tough guy routine for an internet forum. cause when the truth would come calling you'd bitch up & say whatever you had to to get out of the situation aswell. Unless you really are that stupid.
We actually agree on something, there's really 3 options.
1. Say what you think you have to so you can survive. 2. Say what you know will get you shot and commit suicide. 3. Charge the gunman and try to save others.
Don't act like 2 is some sort of noble sacrifice for your religion though. Nothing wrong with any of these options as long as you realize what you're doing and why tbh but #2 is nothing short of outright suicide and escaping any responsibility you may have for others. To pretend it's "dying for your religion" or some sort of noble sacrifice for your god is absolute stupidity at its finest.
Rite. I couldn't see going with option 2 even if i was terminally ill & allready dying. Why give them the satisfaction of depriving you of your lat moments.. Plus people lie about stupid things everyday.. Not a person here wouldn't tell a lie if it meant staying out of certain type's of trouble,(i.e. massive amounts of jail time) or if it had to do with gaining or losing money. So why try to act noble & pretend like things would be any different with your very life on the line & over something like religion.
3) IS a doable option BUT you better be damn sure you have a clear window of opportunity, or you will get yourself & others killed. I have had a gun pointed at me. & im not ashamed to say that He-man complex goes rite out the window & you immediately go into survival mode. With your only thought being htf do I get out of this.
We as people often forget how fragile life really is. & how easily it can be taken away.