Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

HALP!!!!

Started by pandorasb0xx [1957083] on in Questions & Answers.

18 replies · 265 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
12
Likes on archived posts
17
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100
pandorasb0xx [1957083]

I've been on torn for 46 days now. and have yet to grasp the concept of what I'm doing here... There's been no missions since I finished George's missions, I've just been continuing my education, working out, shoplifting a lot of crap, and getting promoted at my job. I feel like I'm a model citizen here... which defeats the purpose (I think??) I have yet to figure out how to attack players, get married, join factions, or any of the stuff that seems fun. Anyone feel like guiding me?
evilf9 [997655]

If you click on "My Faction" you'll get a list of factions theoretically suited for you... If you're lucky to enter a good faction they'll teach you what you need to know.

To attack players just go to their profile and click "attack". Or go to bounty section in newspaper to get some money while you're at it.
Robbo [1826175]

The aim of the game is stats and money, Torn will open up for you once you have copious amounts of both as you can then decide how to use them, mugging, trading, faction wars, the list goes on.

First thing you need to do, is head over to the tuts and guides section and have a read of some of the guides there. I would suggest both the power level to 15 and then the flower/plushie running guides to start making some cash, and go from there.
LordHarewood [972078]

You need to stay active. Use all your energy and nerve. Keep shoplifting jackets. Do a few thousand. Concentrate on using the gym to improve your stats. You should buy some cheap stuff at bits and bobs then sell it for a profit each day. Try attacking and losing against rich players in return for money. There is a thread in forums for this activity known as 'slutting'. Use some drugs. Start with LSD. Rent a fancy house with the slutting money and then do Extacy. When you are new it is hugely important to increase your happy to the maximum possible and then put as much energy as possible into they gym.
1958872 [1958872]

With the missions being reworked there is less to do than there used to be. That said, there is plenty of fun stuff you can do.

Join the army, use your privileges to spy on people or steal meds from the hospital. Maybe start up a company and use it to launder drug money. It all depends on what you would like to do.

What kind of player would you like to be? How do you plan to achieve this?
pandorasb0xx [1957083]

Thank you guys. I'm reluctant to quiit my job at the casino, I love the money! But I will start checking out some of the things yall said.
Stork [1874681]

Good question, actually.


Because this game has a lot of flexibility for individual players' choices, it's hard to know right away what the point of the game is. What makes this game so much fun is that the goals are different for everyone (kind of like irl). It all depends on your idea of what is a good time.


Some interesting goals to set for yourself are as Follows:
  1. Money - do you want to be a millionaire? Dabble in investing, selling, and trading and see how fast you can get your networth to go up.
  2. Power levelling - see how quickly you can rise through the levels. Try to set the record!
  3. Merit hunting - achieve all the merits and those bragging rights!
  4. Fighting - do you want to be feared and respected? Train hard and become the player everyone fears.
This was what I was wondering when I started, too. Usually everyone does a bit of it all. Hope this helps and have a good time!


If you have any other questions, go ahead and send me a message or PM.
pandorasb0xx [1957083]

I think I'd want a combination of all 4! Although from what I've heard thus far it's not good to level up quickly? That's why I've been focusing on the gym and job, getting my stats up.
Who [244604]

If you're interested in joining a faction, I would recommend looking in the Faction Recruiting section of the forum, trying to find a newbie friendly one that based on their recruitment thread sounds like a decent one. There you can find some additional people to interact with, receive advice from, and so on.

Aside from that, try and set goals in a number of different areas to reach (educations you want to finish, jobs you want to be able to do, stat levels you want to reach, house you want to own, crimes you want to be able to commit, merits you want to earn, and so on). Look in the tutorials and guides section, read ones that sound intersting. Stay active and use your energy and nerve when possible and click the city link every so often.
Stork [1874681]

Well, as long as your battle stats are decent for your level, then it's probably alright. Reaching level 15 quickly should definitely be a goal because it gives better ability to travel to purchase high value items and make more profit.
NikolaTesla [1631174]

Joining a faction before Level 15 is a bad idea imo. You can't travel so wil, spend most of your time in hospital. Not necessarily a problem if your faction has loads of meds but it can be very invonvenient when you are in the middle of something and g=constantly getting hospitalised while trying to do it.

Mewanwhile, I'd recommend reading as many Guides as you can in the Tutorials and Guides secion - especially when you find one that relates to something that is happening to you as it is happening/unfolding.

As a last point, it's a shame but Torn really is actually a very boring game for the first few months (unless you are able to donate lots of cash or habe some billionare firends). I got so bored I ditched it after about 3 weeks. When I came back nearly 18months later my job had built up enough cash and job points to allow me to start doing interesting things.

I'm constantly surprised that people manage tom get through the first couple of months without throwing the towel in.
pandorasb0xx [1957083]

I just learned the faction thing the hard way, and my torn husband let me know after my first hospitalization. I got out immediately lol. I like it. While it can be boring at times, I just check in at least once a day to take care of my crimes and gym time!
NikolaTesla [1631174]

Spend all your energy on training. After a while if you can find a few players to beat i battles attcak them but choose the option to leave them. Hospitalising gives virtually no XP and mugging doesn't gve much either.

Look in the Tutorials and Guides section for the Power Levelling Guide for some examples of weak plyers to attack.

But mainly, just use all your energy in the gym
Gorgonzola [1300528]

I now frequently level up from hospitalising during a faction war period and believe the 'virtually no xp' no longer applies. I don't believe it's as effective as leaving on the street but it's clearly more than it was. Collecting bounties might be a useful way forward to earn cash, level up and unlock merits all at the same time.
NikolaTesla [1631174]

Intersting observation. It needs testing somehow. Having the option to 'leave' would become obsolete if you are correct. Everyone would choose mug or even hospitalise just to prevent others from using the same target within 4 hours so I hope you are mistaken.

Maybe though it is because of XP you are earning from making attacks at certain chain points or maybe simply because you are making a lot of attacks.

It's a tricky one this. Hope someone tests it.




Especially at your level I am would have expected you would need to make dozens of attacks in order to level up.