Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Misuse of bounties? (question)

Started by A_Friend [1986997] on in Graveyard.

66 replies · 624 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 67 / 67 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Kingstown [1957679]

Read the whole discussion between you and Ashley and although i really understand what you're saying it's obvious that you have not been in the situation where she is. You should experience the same as she does at her (or a lower) level to fully understand the impact.

I've been bountied for a long time by the same clown that is bountying her now when i just started playing (and yes i'm still a relative new player and still have no clue why he did it) and outsiders gave me the same tips as you do and to this day i still have zero understanding for people that are just bountying others because they can with only one intention and that is to ruin someones fun. What kind of person are you when you start playing a game on the internet starting to think: Let's try to make someone else stop playing this game by making it unplayable for them? You must be seriously damaged in your life when you came to that point and when a game favours those type of players it's bad for the game in itself.

I'm still here (and i can tell you i'm definitely not in my teenage years anymore lol) but when you're as weak as i am or that Ashley is about 95% of the players can beat you. There might be only 5% of the players that can beat you (and a lot of them probably don't want to spend 25E to get 910k) which means that bounties will barely affect you, so yes the system is flawed as it mainly hurts young(er) players and it's definitely favours the elite.

Lot of players did leave because of this as they did not think is was worth it anymore (and please spare me the "building character line") because of the constant harassment of those that are only here to randomly bounty younger players as their main form of entertainment. They're bored with the game itself and think it's funny to stalk others. And since it's legal there's nothing you can do.

At this point in my Torn life i don't care as i travel voluntarily about 12 hours a day and i have enough money, but i really wish you were 2 weeks old and got 24/7 bounties for months and months. (Just to see how your opinion would be then) 95% of the players will stop under those circumstances and if a game has mechanics which stimulate new players to stop then in the long run it will hurt the game in itself. There should be a constant flow of new players to keep the game alive. A game should not be about "working around things" all the time. That's fine in a competition like we just had with elimination but not as a general rule for a normal Torn day.

As to why people start playing a game? To have fun. To kill time. Your average player is not here to get stalked by mentally challenged persons. Those are not the normal obstacles to overcome, unless you think it's a normal obstacle to get bountied 24/7 for a year and a half. You can figure out what would happen to the population of Torn when that would be the standard for all new players. Your approach does not apply to those that act like the IS of this game. It's helpfull when we're talking about a normal number of bounties but not to this excessive degree.

I seriously admire Ashley for still hanging around as i know that at least 95% of the players would have been gone under the same circumstances and i seriously hope that something will be implemented to stop this or to make it possible that those that can not be touched would experience the same. If it would be as easy and cheap as bountying to drop a DB on the same person day after day (instead of a whole faction) i'm sure that all those strong players all of a sudden would have a different view on this matter. And please do keep in mind that there has not to be reason for people to start bountying others. For you and me it might seem strange, but there are people that are just randomly typing in an ID and start bountying. And it's all perfectly legal. That's what happens when every person on this planet has access to the internet. Let's not give them an excuse to ruin Torn for those that are just here to have a good time and enjoy the game.

Just to be clear: I do not know Ashley and never have been in contact with her.
A_Friend [1986997]

I'd have to disagree with your "Bounties, under the existing system, don't have a real 'devastating' impact (or shouldn't have) on an established player," quote. Being one of those establishing players that is bombarded with bounties, my reality is different to yours, and it seems a lot easier to deal with from and outsider's perspective.

But to be honest, being in the hospital 24/7, having at least 6 bounties on you from the same buy at any given point, not being able to train due to being hospitalized, not being able to do crimes (The list goes on), but the biggest thing is, i just don't really want to play Torn as much as i did when i first started playing, i just don't have a drive to get better anymore because some incredibly higher level player is infringing that.

The only way to actually use my energy and nerve is to med out and try and train before someone claims the next bounty on me. This way isn't very cost efficient nor is it good for my account's development. Spending my limited amount of money i get just to simply get out of the hospital.

It really does suck, and there's more to it that someone might think.

[edit = minor spelling errors]
LOL_Player [1376371]

Last month I was in a company I ask my director to train me He fired me from the company and put 10 bounties on me He was such a ............ person
ReyDuvall [1526820]

It's merely a matter of Clansy being unfamiliar with the rule.

Mod'ing the board isn't specifically her job. The board mods know that the rule exists.

I don't know exactly what's in the cakes that my company sells.
I don't know what time the produce shipment is arriving today.
So when people ask me specifics like that I refer them to the people that would know that.

She knows a LOT about a LOT. There's no shame in not knowing all of the specifics.

Like the fact that it is not allowed to make a thread about someone.

It was a simple mistake that you've been harping on ever since, give it up mate xD
Mat-Senpai [952164]

her comment was literally "there is no rule against making threads about other players"

i might try finding the thread later i guess but fair point
Hopslam [795412]

Thanks for the response and input.

I realize I cannot help you here, by debating the issue, or debating opinions and facts. You have not specifically asked for help, but have opened a thread to see if someone is done about "misuse of bounties" and if your account is useless now. It looks kind of like a call for help. I can assure you established players should not be devastatingly affected by bounties. If you want/need specific help to your situation, I offer help and guidance here, but it's probably best to take it out of the forums. You can reply here on the forums, but it's probably best to send a message through the inbox.

Back to your original Post
Can something be done about this or is my account pretty much useless now?

Can something be done?
Sure. The steps are this. If you think there is an issue/bug/something wrong with a system, put in a suggestion in the suggestion forum, put in a bug report in the bug forum. Whining and saying thing suck won't get the issue or bug addresses appropriately and/or "fixed". One has to offer actual plausible changes or suggestions, or actual bugs. Get discussion among the community. Get support from the community. Once those occur, the issue or bug needs to be reviewed by Ched's team/Dev's. These things aren't quick and will be get an immediate change. There are bigger picture things and stuff that the player base doesn't see or get. If you do the above, or someone else in the player base already has, then that is the job of the players. That is all you can do. Voice your opinions, make suggestions, and the devs and team will review, adjust, make changes as they see fit. Again, just whining, complaining, this and that sucks don't help the cause.

Is your account useless?
No. But that is entirely up to you. I can see and help workaround all your stated complaints and struggles. You also need to keep in mind the balance needed between the short term, day to day stuff you have to deal with right now, and the long term, getting past the struggle and onto your goals or purposes for playing a game.

If you do really want specific help to your situation here, send me a note or reply on here, I will help.

If you do really want to address the bigger picture issue, see above, and check existing posts in bugs/issues and suggestions and fight for your cause with plausible suggestions and improvements and work toward getting further community support.
MaxHeadRoom [1429645]

whilst i understand your frustration, one has to wonder what you have done to annoy someone to the point where you are been constantly bountied?
Hopslam [795412]

Good stuff. Appreciate the input and response. And believe me, I am not arguing nor trying to prove right or wrong or justify the current system.

I don't think debating here will help anyone in this regard. So I offer help to you, or anyone, that is faced with a specific situation like extreme bounties that they can't figure out a decent way out of. I can give specific help/advising where needed, but I think it's unnecessary for me to go on long winded just adding to the debate and not offering anything of actual valuable help. So you, or anyone, send a message if help is needed.

In a prior recent post, I gave my thought on the steps to take to address the system is flawed point. In earnest response, until a change or update occurs, players faced with circumstances relate-able in this thread have 3 main options really (1) continue to whine, moan, deal with "sucky" game play (2) logout and/or quit (3) Adapt and find ways to work around the struggles until something gets changed or updated.


Not going to add to further debate as you bring up good points and discussion (but this thread isn't where change will occur or a decision by the devs will come from), and again I'd like to give specific help if/where needed, but there were 2 things I want to respond to.

My apologies on the misconception of the "building character line". I didn't mean it like as ahhh, it's ok, players should go through struggles and obstacles and not fun parts of the game just to build character and better themselves. My thought is that one's existing personality and character will determine how one proceeds when faced with a situation of struggle or obstacles to overcome, like extreme bounties. People have different life experiences and situations and one's threshold for dealing with crap on a game will differ from one to the next. People also take things seriously (or not so seriously) at different levels. And it's these characteristics that one already has that determines how one proceeds when faced with adversity.

The other, --"You should experience the same as she does at her (or a lower) level to fully understand the impact." -- I understand this thread is about bounties in particular, and yeah my experience in that regard is different and I never faced the extreme bounties. I have gone through a fair share, or more than fair share, of struggles, obstacles, bad luck, game changes I disliked or that had negative impacts on the way I played, mistakes, and bad experiences. All players have struggles and obstacles and difficulties in this game and those change over time for players new to old and those change over time in general as the game changes and updates. I have, indeed, felt the crippling effects of mistakes and bad luck and bad experiences - things that are completing deflating and take the will to continue "playing" and take the fun out of it. For me, in response to those situations, I have either taken a step back and break away from normal game-play and take the moment to take a change of pace, and to explore other areas of the game that I might not have come across - just to give a few examples.
AshleyT [1432316]

While I disagree with your opinions for the most part. I do appreciate the fact you didn't resort to insults and actually offered a reasoned debate on the matter.

I have adapted, myself, but my capacity to play is still very much slashed, I haven't grown significantly in stats or networth for a very long time but I've survived despite the never ending nature of this.

The problem is, the ones who will benefit, don't actually usually go in the suggestion forums, so it get's shot down if you ever suggest a change. Hell, my entire bounty streak for so long by one guy, was because I dared to support one of those suggestions.
McMug [1941005]

Bounties on low lvls are collected almost immediately. People are constantly browsing the paper for easy bounties.