Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Grave

Started by Th3Budtender [1649861] on in General Discussion.

39 replies · 994 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 40 / 40 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

GamerX [2013504]

Unless its a PLC you are out of luck. Many are listed on the LSE and you might be able to find ADR/ADS for their ordinary shares in the NYSE AMEX (to a lesser extent in the NASDAQ.)
That being said if he did want to sell the most l logical would be to create a private placement which allows him to retrain control in exchange for operating cash and income with thoughts of big $ later.
flufffy [494285]

Ok ORAN!

OT: I have these visions of the ticker at the NASDAQ scrolling across and when Chedburn networks shows it stops working and those loading dots showing and perhaps a 504 error to cries of "We've the Chedded! " from the dealers. But that's just me. Someone should make me a cartoon.
manic [1554958]

Sorry, but what the hell are you on about?

You're just gibbering gibberish!

He's registered his LIMITED company (which is CLOSED) in ENGLAND & WALES at COMPANIES HOUSE. Prettt simple.
ChillySpunc [1905415]

You are more of a fantasist than I and my life plan is to win the lottery.

Tens of millions? If Ched was looking to sell the game he'd be lucky to get a million pounds, The only real value is the servers and player base, if I was buying it I would want to do a whole lot of recoding and it'd need huge investment in both software and hardware and that's before I spent a few hundred thousand on advertising. All that before Torn even starts to make a profit I'd deem worth £1,000,000.

Torn makes £75-100k a year through subscribers and donations, nearly three quarters of that will probably be salaries and I'd assume that less than 10% of it is subscriptions, Torn has no dedicated large subscriber base, all Torns income relies on the desperate children trying to make back their losses in the casino through donations and if that is the idea of a safe investment then I'd guess you are the type of person to invest in Blockbuster even after seeing Netflix.
GamerX [2013504]

I'm fairly well versed in the valuation of online and tech firms.
Torn years ago was already pulling in roughly £600k per year and had over a million user base, even at half those numbers presently your estimates are way too low. Even utilities trade at much higher than a 2x multiple. It is all about the subscriber base (server/hardware value is negligible so I'm not sure why you'd mention them).

"All that before Torn even starts to make a profit"
Nothing personal but that comment leads me to believe you aren't that experienced with tech company valuations and differences between EBITDA and 'earnings'. As for a safe investment, if I wanted a safe investment I'd put my money under my mattress.

Even "desperate children" have value.



Th3Budtender [1649861]

Dang this thread has turned into a monster!
I am super grateful for all the advice some have given...although it's hard to tell who knows what there talking about (throwing gibberish in the mix)
I've been told one could purchase shares through a broker at there bank..is this true?
mug [553318] Committee Committee

i advise you against doing it, as you just seem clueless and are going to lose everything but it's not my money so i dont give a shit.

if it's something that seriously interests you im sure there are endless amounts of books and online resources for you to learn from as well as stock simulators online to get your feet wet but pretty sure they still aren't 100% realistic.

I don't know anything about stocks, not something that interests me at the current moment in my life, but if you want to learn something you need to go and learn it yourself with good online resources, books, or goto school for it. You wont get any results asking a buncha dumbasses online in a game.
manic [1554958]

But obviously to what a Limited company is...

Just proves how a little stupid goes a long way if you throw in a lot of clever words.
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

The "desperate children" remark is actually big business in the gaming world.
So is the testosterone driven they stick those coins in over and over again to get a bit of advantage etc etc.

Will Harbin made a lot of money exploiting such things.
ChillySpunc [1905415]

I'm not saying it's not big business, I am saying it isn't safe business.

I have no idea where GamerX got the figure of 600k from and a million player base? How is the player base even relevant when only about 5% of those million accounts are active. And you have to remember Torn is in no way as popular as it was a few years ago, people are sick are being promised new and interesting features and just getting a broken game, that is and has lost a lot of players and while some of those players will be replaced the new players might not be as willing to spend a ton of cash on a broken product.

On a good month Torn probably makes about 15-20k and a good year 200-300k but I highly doubt it makes anywhere near 600k and with a much bigger developer team and more maintanence I highly doubt that any money left over is worth an investment in the millions that would take years to recover.

The only thing Torn has going for it is it is trying new things and people are spending more in the digital world rather than the physical world and for that to really pay off it needs to attract people of a working age rather than the little squirts with their parents credit cards.
Tigrrrrrr [132684]

The logic and math skills demonstrated in this thread is astounding.

Keep in mind, for every single yellow star you see next to a players name, thats $5 ... EVERY MONTH. It doesnt matter who bought the DP or who sold it, or how many times it was sold. Its still $5 for every single star, every single month.
On any given day, there are around 17,000 players logging in. In addition, there are a few thousand "part time" players. Of those 20k or so players, if only 5k of them had DP status, thats $25k income... PER MONTH. My actual estimate would be higher. Maybe even 8K DP users but hey, whatever. In addition to the DPs being used, the circulation numbers for the item DP increased by about 1500 in the last month as well... Another $7500.

Logical conservative estimates put Torns cash flow at between 30k and 50k per month. X 12 months = ... Drumroll please... Between $360K and $600K per year. Anyone who believes Torm makes less is blind.

While this is hardly a fortune in the business world, it is also no shoestring and bubblegum budget and should support a valuation of more than $1M for the company. Tbh for a game and company thats been in existance for nearly 12 years, I would assume quite a bit more.
GamerX [2013504]

"You're just gibbering gibberish!

He's registered his LIMITED company (which is CLOSED) in ENGLAND & WALES at COMPANIES HOUSE. Prettt simple."

"But obviously to what a Limited company is...

Just proves how a little stupid goes a long way if you throw in a lot of clever words."


You do realize there are different types of limited companies correct?
Additionally private LIMITED company in the UK can convert to a public limited company, but I presume you knew that as well and simply overlooked it when you chose to ridicule my post.
I'm fine with being wrong when its the case, but let's try to at least state the facts clearly.
manic [1554958]

Yep. Well aware of the differences.

But talking about a PLC and LTD in the same sentences is like talking about Messi and some Third division footballer. (No offence to anyone). Same sport, but totally different leagues...

Yes, a LTD can opt to float and become a PLC (note, you can also do this WITHOUT appearing on a stock market I am lead to believe)... The complexities are beyond what a simple text box or a T-Shirt can explain and is probably the reason why large legal & accounting fees are incurred.

You are right about one thing, stick to the facts, which my statement does - unambiguously. Why you mentioned foreign exchanges, PLC's etc I have no idea as there are none involved. Sadly this topic (like many others I've encountered) are fed with ill-informed Google experts...
Sharkie [1971459]

Wouldn't it be easier to message the almighty and powerful chedburn about it and see what he says if he responds? Probably the only way to know where your money could go and if it's even possible for this company to buy it's shares
If all else you could just donate, get all dem swanky Dps