Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Cherry Picking Muggers

Started by GamerX [2013504] on in General Discussion.

82 replies · 1.51k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 83 / 83 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
83
Discussion span
→
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
28 / 100
Story score
63 / 100
Engagement score
78 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

ralucakiss84 [1899687] ×1

GamerX [2013504]

I'm certain this has come up before, but how do people feel about those lurkers who watch for lower level players who are selling donator packs, points, expensive items or travel, and mug them right after? The points and items I get that there are methods to alleviate getting mugged but getting mugged as soon as getting off a flight is rough. Much more annoying is 'donating' real $ for a pack and paying a 10% vig on each one since you almost inevitably get mugged right after selling it.
Seems this discourages money supporting the system. Maybe even a 5 minute pause after selling a pack would help.
I get mugging is part of the game, and I'm not looking for cheese with my whine, but it seems pretty lame to cherry pick as a player. All one needs to do is watch pack listings in the market/bazaar and mug anyone weaker as soon as the pack disappears...and voila $2million or so.
I know Torn City isn't for the meek, but I think it would be helpful to address this issue.
(In any even I'm guessing I'll get a few mugs for this post, but that's the price one pays)


CatHead [1581564]

In my opinion, it's a solid technique for muggers. The mugging game has been nerfed so hard since I've been playing, making it more and more difficult to find decent mugging targets. Mugging people isn't the nicest as it is, you're taking their hard earned cash away, so however it's done, there will always be crying. Staking out people who are selling shit is a decent way to find targets.

People who get mugged won't be happy until they aren't mugged any more. It's understandable too but I think any more mugging nerfs will damage the game.

More mugging less hugging. :P
GamerX [2013504]

Fair enough, I'm not suggesting it being nerfed all around, its an essential part of of Torn, I 'm just suggesting the donator pack sale should be a special situation since it is external $ being transferred into the economy.
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

I got mugged a ton of times and when i traded in DPs a few times - buying low when i had the cash and selling for a mill or so profit later lost more than i gained through being mugged.

Other muggings involved when i advertised on trade chat selling flowers or other items one particular player singled me out a number of times (and in recent times i smacked him for it and think i may do so again regularly).

Abroad been mugged plenty so i keep my cash on hand low.

There are plenty of traders who do not mug you, it is very easy to find them if you want to sell Donator packs from real cash.

South Africa is a hot spot as is switzerland but i am just as likely to get mugged anywhere - as a flower runner they get a very small amount.

On a personal level I do not care for your plight and I hope you get mugged more.


Ninivah [1950421]

Get a friend to mug you and send the money back for mug protection. Or open your bazaar and self hosp AFTERwards that way you'll have time to hide the money.

Or you can fly while selling but that's just as risky as staying put.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

There's always the pawn shop where you can sell dp's totally risk free. Or so called trusted traders, but they will rob you with their low prices. Just learn some methods that protect you from being mugged.
MmM [256222]

You dont realise how hard it is for muggers to keep an eye on their targets until they flight back or get out of hosp or worst wait for their mug protection cooldown to wear off.


GamerX [2013504]

Thanks for the replies so far. To reiterate I'm not saying lets look at banning or even nerfing mugging, I think it is a worthwhile aspect of Torn.
The only special situation I would suggest exploring is a few minutes upon selling DPs.

As a mugger couldn't you simply stay on the market page for DP sales and buy any offered by a lower stat person than you, mug them and then flip it? Seems you can make millions a day doing so. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

Yes people can, that is why you build stats up and research how to protect yourself from mugging.

I could tell you but seriously you should know this stuff by now its basic game mechanics.
Multipass [1955315]

This is not a mechanics issue its a greed/laziness issue. Either sell it to someone you trust for less or organise proper mug protection, probably at a cost.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

You can obviously mug them, but you can't be sure if they have mug protection or not. Also, a 25 e can costs around 1.8m and most people would subtract that from the actual mug when calculating profit. Sellers can also self-hosp or travel while selling, and it takes a lot of time to stalk the market. All in all I would say it's a pretty even playing field, and there are winners and losers on both sides.
Multipass [1955315]

You could make millions a day doing that. But it costs energy, lots of time refreshing pages, has a slim chance to succeed, makes you enemies when it does, probably causes a flood of whining spam etc . Basically takes effort - way more that you are apparently bothering to put in to protect your DP sale...
Medusa [1993977]

this is fun, you guys are hilarious :) what i would really like to see happen is the ability to do inflight violence and/or muggings (or hijackings!) inflight. Cuz traveling is dull enough as it is
Rca [1860888]

Mugging is mugging, isn't that part of the fun and the adrenaline rush? You have to quickly trade etc to avoid it and one day you can be the one mugging people for lots of money?

It's a bit of a circle and we all endure it, although I have to say I am probably one of the worst players for game technique (i.e. I don't log in lots or use any aids or anything) and even I have the sense to just open a second tab ready to buy points, fly abroad, buy something to store the money if I think I'll get mugged.



GamerX [2013504]

I agree with you and others that say it is part of the game, and it can be fun. And I have taken steps to curtail being mugged, just a little discouraging when my last two DP sales went like this (I blocked out names):
  • Someone mugged you and stole $2,363,169 XXXX 2016/11/01 1:12:53 AM
  • XXXXXX bought 1 x Donator Pack from your bazaar for $24,900,000. 2016/11/01 1:12:17 AM
    • Someone mugged you and stole $2,822,048 XXXXX 2016/10/08 7:22:45 AM
    • XXXXXX bought 1 x Donator Pack from your bazaar for $23,400,000. 2016/10/08 7:22:35 AM
    So at this point I hesitate to buy donator packs since more hassle then worth on the return, whereas I'd think selling donator packs (and subscriptions) is what keeps Torn going. Anyway just my opinion, it seems many disagree, no worries.