Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Cherry Picking Muggers

Started by GamerX [2013504] on in General Discussion.

82 replies · 1.51k views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 83 / 83 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

xMrPink [221113]

I don't have a problem with but muggers. It's the sellers responsibility to protect themselves.

I don't usually buy mug, mainly because I can find targets without too much difficulty.

Mugging is a good source of income at the end of the day. Though I miss the old system.
ccwy [2007926]

You're level 15 and 17 days old. You have no reason to be in the Caymans with large sums of money. If you've already been caught a couple times with money on you, then players have tagged you as a good mug and you'll be hit regularly.
Don't carry more than $50K. Get your stats up to make it harder to mug you. Don't wave a lot of money around in the casino or bazaar. Don't write posts like the one you just wrote.
Hell, I tempted to add you to my players-I'd-most-like-to-mug list.
Kapten_Klitoris [1873683]

Mugging is quite rough. if you dont dare to use the market sell to the pawnshop!

It takes several weeks to learn to mug, guess about protection and getting fast fingers. Nowdays i usually dont do 12 mugs a day with cans but when i did profit was about 70-130m a day with muggingfunds around 500m.
Michi [1922819]

Learn about blacklisting, self-hosping, ghost trading and mug protection fast If you think you'll be handling large sums of money. Before you do large trades with people you just met self hosp before you add the cash to the trade. If you decide to travel with your bazaar open consider flying standard for a longer flight to throw a stalkers timing off and make sure you're online when you land. You can also temporarily buy stock that's not crashing as you fly but it can take a long time to sell leading to a loss if it starts crashing.
GamerX [2013504]

Thanks for the thoughts and advice so far. Seems that I'm getting thumbs up from victims and thumbs down from perps. (which makes sense). It is all helpful, and appreciated. Searched and didn't find a concise guide to help out relative noobs like myself, so I'll create one.

These seem to be the best ways to stave off/lessen muggings, please let know if I missed others that should be included in the guide:
Trade with a trusted partner
Middle'man'
Self Hosp.
Paid/friend hosp.
Paid/friend mug
Quick ways to move cash (purchases and other methods)
Travel
Blacklist
Close bazaar/remove listings
Play farmville instead <jk>

Once this is spelled out in a handy form it should help eliminate many of the complaints about muggings.



TakingABreak [2024350]

Thank you for the heads up. I was making light of the fact I landed in Caymans to bank a mil and no sooner I landed I was mugged. It was like "Someone" knew which plane I walked off. But I understand your point, and very much appreciate the tip. Many Thanks
Scotty [531427]

You're getting upset over loosing a couple of mil?!
I mugged someone who had a little over 2.5bil on hand and got a measly 60mil. Wheres the justice.. The mugging game has been ruined but i still do it as its something to do, fun to find targets and it pays.. Nothing personal
Moguai [423015]

This is exactly what makes Torn interesting, so many options/paths to choose from.

If it were all made easy the game would be boring and die out.
Kingstown [1957679]

OP is barely 60 days old. At that age a couple of millions is a lot of money.
If he would have had 2.5b on hand everyone would be crying that he probably was a multi/cheating.

Offcourse it's different at your age, so comparing your situation with his is not making much sense. Try to remember how it was when you were 60 days old and how you felt at that time about losing a couple of millions. Nine years ago. I hope your memory is better then mine.


Td3h [1785428]

You were getting thumbs up from people that dont know how to play the game and cry about it on the forums.

For this list you are getting my thumbs up though because you've actually learned how to play the game. Thats EXACTLY what people should do instea of whinging.
daub [1869454]

Also,

DocN Chrome extension for popups of new Torn events, among other things. Helps you to quickly move or spend your cash
Use Bookie to store cash (bet can be edited or cancelled at anytime until betting ends).


Mugging others will also make you feel better about getting stung yourself. Mug it forward.



Nobody [237547]

Why does everyone keep suggesting unreasonable long times? I'm not a market-stalker, most (if not all) my mugging is from 1+ days inactive people. Still, I think there COULD be a 10s protection when selling DP's, seeing as you then would be required to sit on Torn to benefit from the protection. A 10s protection would put the muggers at risk of mugging too soon, giving a mug protection instead, so 10s might even be too overpowered.

Don't forget that a mug protection like that would likely bring down the DP prices, as people would want to sell fast rather then actively sit on torn for 30+ minutes... Might even end up with a lower profit then you do when you get mugged.