Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Linux Distro

Started by Jobby [1640111] on in Technology.

19 replies · 146 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 20 / 20 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
20
Discussion span
→
People posting
15
Likes on archived posts
7
Authority score
23 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100
Jobby [1640111]

Anyone sick of windows?
Been looking to install something on an old second lappy...I was thinking Mint? But its a pretty big download. Ubunto seems to have issues these days...any recommendations?
Jobby [1640111]

I ended up going for Mint on one and Lubunto on the really old one...Mint is working well, but I need to manually install the bootloader for Lubunto, grub was missing, dunno why
Jeggy [1526723]

I use Ubuntu Gnome, and I love it! it's different but simple and fast.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and most applications that have Linux support have support for Ubuntu while other distros should just work but no official support for it
Naked [1889386]

Another vote for Ubuntu. I actually moved my work laptop over to Ubuntu, and VM'd W10 for Administrative stuff (windows only programs, clutter, can join Domains, other hacky stuff).

Just need to work on the battery life issue. :D
hartanto [1740814]

debian testing with openbox wm

not a geek, just wanna get an up-to-date alternative of windows. keep rolling!

why no arch? it breaks my system, also my heart [:cry:]
Jobby [1640111]

I made up a multiboot USB install stick in the end and put a 32bit version of mint on the old lappy....old is..hmm, 12 years? ...seems to be working ok
JSnows [14906]

not a final release version but worth keeping an eye on for those with old machines laying around

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/
Dash [3901]

I've been using linux for over 15 years now.

Archlinux is my favorite distro, but if you're a beginner Mint is a good place to start.