15 replies · 617 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:16 / 16 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
16
Discussion span
→
People posting
15
Likes on archived posts
41
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100
Most-liked replies
ofgortens[1863998]
· 13 likes · From a training perspective it's actually better to have 1 stat suffer. This allows the possibility to have 3 stats trained in special gyms. An example of this would be if you want Frontline (str/speed) gym + Elites (dex) gym …
Butters[34298]
· 5 likes · If you're going to go unbalanced then it is either strength / speed / dexterity (with a little defense) or strength / speed / defense (with a little dexterity). Personally I still feel that dexterity is the stronger of the …
I have read different peoples opinions over the few months I have been here. Some support training your stats equally and others say this is a bad idea. So which is true?
So a question to all you experienced players here in Torn. Is it better to train my stats equally or should I focus on training to a set amount in each stat?
I am in no way qualified to answer this question from experience alone, but from what I've seen, balanced stats are the way to go. Balanced is best UNLESS you have 1-2 stats that are high enough above the others to truly make a difference (I.e strength+speed whores). But that is only if your stats are so unbalanced (we're talking millions), otherwise balance is the best way to go
From a training perspective it's actually better to have 1 stat suffer. This allows the possibility to have 3 stats trained in special gyms. An example of this would be if you want Frontline (str/speed) gym + Elites (dex) gym open which would ultimately tank your defense terribly in order for you to keep those gyms open. Your stat gains / day would be higher with this setup allowing 3 stats being relatively high and balanced...
That being said, if you are fighting someone... the balanced stats will typically be able to hit a lot higher successfully vs others of similar stats that are not balanced. This is also valuable if you participate in missions which usually assign targets based on your total stats. If you have unbalanced stats your missions will feel a lot harder than if you have balanced stats.
TL;DR - it depends on what your goals are. If it's training the max stat / day then a semi unbalanced route is the best.. if it's training decently while still being able to hit well, then keeping your stats balanced is the way to go.
I'm a fan of just training in a way to make gyms the most efficient. If you dont want to spend an extra 100-200 mil on special gyms when you get to that point then go ahead and go balanced.
And as for whoring speed/str or another two stats I dont suggest that beyond the point of capping them in a special gym. It's still pretty possible to beat someone with that ratio and I think I did beat someone nearly twice my stats with that ratio . Put some time in for all....
yeah, there is no one correct answer here. Ultimately, it will depend on the individual. One stat build (ie balanced) might be effective in battle against one player, but might be super ineffective against another player with a different stat build.
I think the only real sure thing with training, battle stats, and attacking/defending, is that you cannot leave one stat completely behind, like you should not have 50m str, 50m def, 50m spd, and then only 250k dex (or interchange those numbers any way, you get the point...). It won't be good to leave one stat behind like that.
Plus, game mechanics change over time with updates and tweaks.... one "best" stat build today, may not still be the best stat build tomorrow.
If you have 1 stat close to 0 even a weak new player who trains the opposing stat can get through.
There are quite a large number of people who have 1 massive stat and 3 tiny stats. That is a really gormless stat build doing that can make you weak against a 1 month old player if your 3 tiny stats are really tiny. Looks at professor marlon ....
i have always trained all my stats and i am happy with my choice i wouldnt want to be hobbled with a weak stat.
I'm more strength and speed, but that's mostly because it was best pre-change. If you really want to specialize you can go clothing store and defense like mentioned above.
If you're new and not sure I would say go balanced or focus on the stat with the best gains for the gym you are in. You can always specialize later.
Yes when starting and progressing through the gyms training in the gym with the largest stat gain is a good long term strategy, you can fix any imbalances when you have got to the end of the gym progression.
I remember there being a lot of dexterity gyms and at the end that was my largest stat but i fixed it after i unlocked the gym i wanted.
From my early days in TC, I see that it's an open battle-ground here in Torn, so I choose to be unbalanced to protect myself against some high-level-but-less-active-players.. XD
Balance is good, but only against someone around our battlestats, here, we have to defend ourselves against players with multiples our battlestats, hence my decision to go unbalanced, until later on when I've grown. Just my personal P.O.V btw.. =)
If you're going to go unbalanced then it is either strength / speed / dexterity (with a little defense) or strength / speed / defense (with a little dexterity).
Personally I still feel that dexterity is the stronger of the two defensive stats - everyone makes the mistake of looking at the comparison graphs of defense vs strength and dexterity vs speed and thinks that defense is automatically better because the block percentage can go all the way up to 100%.
The kicker that nearly *everybody* forgets is that the amount of damage you take (ie. that which goes unblocked) is also affected by your opponent's strength, as this dictates the base damage that every other damage-related calculation is based upon (note: nobody really ever leaves strength behind).
When you take this into account together with the small amount of life we have to work with now it makes the ability to make the opponent miss altogether more often (regardless of the damage they might otherwise be able to do) *much* more potent when you're not just beating up on weaklings (relative to your own "attack strength"), especially when coupled with a (smaller) damage reduction from defence and armour when they do land a hit.
Throw in a cheap smoke grenade and for a lot of your attacks you'll coast through if you have sufficient dexterity.
Take it from someone who grinds through a lot of players closer to my own stat level in chains (I basically take the strongest targets from any enemy faction in our chains) - players with high dexterity are a right pain in the arse regardless of how close they are to your overall stat total, especially if you're having to hit quickly.
p.s. I'm not exactly what you might call lacking in speed relative to my overall total if that's what you're thinking and use 80+ acc metal nunchakus most of the time...
As mentioned, some balance is definitely the way to go after the last set of changes and strong decreasing returns. I went through the long slog back then going only Dex from 10,000 to 100 mil but I'm glad I did.
I used to prefer Defense, and in practice still do, but it's worth noting that when all your education is complete you get a much bigger boost to DEX which translates into a better return on your training so I actually keep that a little ahead of my DEF now.