Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Scripting Abuse

Started by Cartman [1621675] on in General Discussion.

226 replies · 4.29k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 227 / 227 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
227
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
37 / 100
Story score
70 / 100
Engagement score
87 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

IceBlueFire [776] ×2

Cartman [1621675]

http://www.torn.com/forums.php#!p=threads&f=1&t=16000717&b=0&a=0

The use of scripts, extensions, applications or any other kind of software is allowed only if it uses data from our API or a page you have loaded manually and are currently viewing. They cannot make additional non-API requests to Torn, scrape pages that you're not currently viewing, or attempt to bypass the captcha. If the software you're using makes non-API requests that are not manually triggered by you, it is not allowed and can be tracked.

Few ares of concern:
  • Will those that have already been flagged be punished?
  • If people stop using their scripts today, does this mean they go unpunished?
  • Will wealth be removed from people who exploit scripts to gain an advantage in the stock market, item market?
  • Will players get banned from areas of the game, such as stockmarket if they are caught actively utilizing a script to gain an unfair advantage in these areas?
On the whole, a rule change for the better.

I'm glad that this thread brought about the seriousness of the issues that scripts pose to the integrity of the game.

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#!p=threads&f=2&t=16000163&b=0&a=0

[image: i.gyazo.com]

Staff note,

Please feel free to update this portion of the post with information pertaining to frequently used scripts stating which parts are / are not illegal to utilize to prevent less savvy scripters inadvertently breaking the new guidelines.

Mentions: Free Relentless Scripts! · New rule addition - Scripting abuse

PatBenatar [420347]

I have never used scripts in this game, I am one of those fossils that does not know what is legal or not. Anyone can tell me its legal but I would have zero clue if it was or not. So for me, I will choose not to use them. I know some can be useful or so I have heard. I would hate for other old fossils or clueless players get busted for things they don't know.

I wish to start they announce what ones will be labeled as abusive so people can have a heads up at least. Not for me, mind you but for others. Or give more detail to determine what is legal and what is not. Maybe run it by a Officer would be fine then there would be a record on file that the script the player is using is legit.
Cartman [1621675]

I do think, that 7 days is too lenient however.

I'd like clarification of Ched, accounts that've already been flagged, if they stop using scripts now does that mitigate the punishment?
Champion [1927067]

If Ched deals with this as good as he dealt with removing the wssb profits then the cheats have nothing to worry about really!
jump792 [1967039]

I do not fully understand what this means. Mostly, but not fully...can someone try and make it so a full blown idiot such as myself and understand this?
jump792 [1967039]

I don't think DoctorN is illegal...as from my poor knowledge, all it uses is torn website such and such and your API...but I'd hope Chedburn could clarify that. If DoctorN did things for you, that'd be another story I'm sure...
Tyrion [1967379]

If it was up to me, each and every script would be banned.

Just play the game as is, no bypassing anything.

Each script is a way of modding the game and taking advantage over others that aren't using any.

It's all up to the big boss here of course....
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

please, that's nowhere near the same as temp_factiondonations (prior to my edit). This is a log of everything being donated. It doesn't show balances, which is what the page is so useful for.
jump792 [1967039]

Well I don't want to spend time trying to find a little dot on the city map where an item is at, potentially wasting time as there's always the chance of nothing spawning...now if they made the icons a tad bit bigger...
Tyrion [1967379]

Well, either buy a bigger monitor or change your screen resolution then, if clicking on something is too hard for you on this text-based game bro
IceBlueFire [776] Officer Officer

Long story short - Any automated requests to other torn pages aren't allowed.



DoctorN is fine, for the most part. The ones that break the new rules are the auto-spinners in the casino.
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

In our investigations it is clear that such tools do exist somewhat, but not on the scale and value that many players would believe.

Point is, with such perceived waffling on rules and standards...Those of us in the newer breed just don't know what to believe. Is this spin control?