Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

PureVPN

Started by MadHatter [486416] on in Technology.

51 replies · 296 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 52 / 52 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
52
Discussion span
→
Authority score
30 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
47 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

MadHatter [486416]

So my VPN subscription expired and I'm looking to switch services. I had been using Avast SecureLine because it came bundled with Premier at great price, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for in a VPN service (it kind of defeats the purpose of using a VPN when it keeps usage logs).

I really want to go with PureVPN. It's priced excellently and offers a payment option that isn't offered by most other VPNs. Unfortunately, reviews of PureVPN are mixed, to say the absolute least. All but one VPN review site I found (including PC Mag) gave the service glowing reviews, even listing PureVPN as an "Editor's Choice" on most of them, but user reviews are abysmal across the board. The biggest draw to PureVPN is the supposedly unparalleled connection speeds, which are flaunted all over their site and across most official reviews. However, most user reviews I've read say the opposite, and say that connections are finicky at best. My primary interest in using a VPN is anonymous p2p, so connection speeds are very important to me. I don't need anything lightning fast, or even that far above average, but I don't want to sacrifice a substantial amount of speed for a cheaper price tag. I certainly don't want to pay any amount of money for a service that cuts in and out, and is unreliable.

Do you any of you have any experience with PureVPN? How about VPNs in general?

- - - - - -

On a lot of these VPN review/comparison sites, they have pop-up live chat with so-called "VPN Experts." I'm currently 4/4 for being kicked out of their chat, simply for actually asking this question.

"Hi, my name is [name] (VPN Expert). Do you have any questions about the service that I can help you with?"

"Yeah, I've been looking into PureVPN and it's an appealing service, but it has very mixed reviews."

"Hold on, I'll direct you to their customer support"

wut

All of them transferred me to PureVPN's customer support, before kicking me out of the chat. My responses were: "obviously the best place to receive unbiased answers", "so you don't actually know anything about the service?", "then what the **** good are you?", and " 'Expert' ". The first guy told me that I was just complaining and that I needed to talk to PureVPN's customer support to "ease [my] troubled mind" (no ****ing joke). The second guy told me that he didn't have time for useless arguments.

Having exhausted all other avenues of support, I decided to cut out the middle man and go right to the source. I opened a chat box with PureVPN's live support and asked the same questions.

[image: i.imgflip.com]

SOLD
microlost [2040671]

I use Tunnelbear, they do not record usage logs and I have yet to noticebmajor slowdown. They also have a great selection of locations as well as data plans, from the free 500mb/month to unlimited. Would totally recommend them

EDIT: They also have cute bear animations, soth that has to count for something? Right?
CrookedPaper [1832759]

PIA - Private Internet Access



Been using it for quite a while. It's the best Paid VPN I've used so far. Gotta download those torrents some how ! :P
MadHatter [486416]

I almost went with them last year. They were ranked as one of the top of 2016.

How are their speeds? I mostly use mine for torrenting too, and PureVPN has phenomenal download speeds. Upload speeds aren't great, but not really any worse than other VPNs I've used.
CrookedPaper [1832759]

I'm in the States and I use Servers usually in other Countries and my Download Speeds are not Hindered one bit.

I've been using them for about 3 years without any issues.
microlost [2040671]

500mb monthly for free. Unlimited yearly for $58.88. I have not checked the exact speed, but I have not noticed any slowdown for download



https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing
CrookedPaper [1832759]

Can I torrent with TunnelBear?


No. Unfortunately TunnelBear does not currently support the use of BitTorrent.

Although we realize that BitTorrent can be used for totally legal purposes, due to a high volume of complaints from content providers, TunnelBear was put in the unfortunate position of making a choice between two options:
  • The first option (which most VPN providers choose) is to begin logging user activity. TunnelBear is very strongly against monitoring and tracking user activity as most of our customers use TunnelBear explicitly to browse online privately. As such, this was not a viable option.
  • The second option (which TunnelBear has chosen) is to disable BitTorrent ports. While we philosophically dislike blocking anything, we prefer this option to being forced to collect information about our users.
MadHatter [486416]

No reason to use a VPN that doesn't allow p2p/torrenting, and $60/year is terrible. PureVPN is $80 for two years (but I paid $90 because there's a small mark-up for paying with a gift card), and the majority of their servers support p2p/torrenting.
microlost [2040671]

I use them because they give you a free 500mb/month. This is plenty for me because I rarly stream videos or download large files.
microlost [2040671]

I make it a challenge, limit myself to 500mb of data a month (unless it is really important) I try to devise different ways to make it last longer.
MadHatter [486416]

I appreciate a good challenge every now and then, but I can't remember the last torrent I downloaded that was less than 1gb. I average somewhere around 100-200gb a month, on a slow month.
MadHatter [486416]

Oh I signed on with PureVPN shortly after I made this thread. I wasn't getting enough replies and I needed a VPN, so I bit the bullet and just signed up. Don't regret it at all.