The fact that I'm a trader aside, AshleyT was spot-on with the victim blaming comment. What I'm hearing is that mug protection is being abused by traders, but that wouldn't be a necessity if buy-mugging wasn't so prevalent. There are many players who will admit that buy-mugging is a career for them, and a hundred million a day is a fairly average "work" day for them. Much more than I've ever made trading honestly, I promise you that. So why raise such an issue with mug protection?
Simple solution would be to do away with mugging completely, which makes the issue of mug protection a moot point. Because when a buy mugger has a target, they've already got the advantage: the target was selected because they're weaker than the mugger, and the mugger has multiple screens up so they can buy an item and toggle screens to attack nearly instantaneously. Meanwhile, the trader has to trust that the event shows up just as quickly, because if their items weren't sold immediately after listing them it's unlikely that they'll sit there and refresh screen constantly until they do see the event. Can get awfully tedious.
I'm sorry if you feel it isn't fair that a trader has to take advantage of mug protection. Real stores have loss prevention specialists, video cameras, silent alarms, armed security in some...None of which would be necessary if not for thieves. Traders don't have the same luxuries, but we get smarter because we have to...
My advice: play smarter, whine less. And if you can't adapt, as traders have been forced to, then rage quit.
How do you get mug protection? I guess I haven't been paying attention.
Hedas was added to your blacklist.
Someone told me to use the black list to stop buy muggers... I don't trade a lot, but at least if I do, I don't have to worry about the buy/muggers I hear about.
Mentions:
Hedas [1880839]
Mug protection can be obtained by having someone mug you while you're holding lots of cash. For 2 hours after that, your cash is protected up to the amount you had on you when mug protection is obtained, with the amount of protection decreasing by a percentage every hour after the first 2 hours.
I agree with
What about making it so your sales turn into cashier's checks at the bank, which you have to be in town to get, and reduce the mug cooldown to encourage logging in frequently to avoid being mugged? As an RPG, the current mechanic of 1) sell items on the market 2) immediately get mugged 3) go to the hospital for 20 minutes or however long 4) get mugged again when you still have alot of cash and the mugger finds $0? It doesn't make sense to me. Reduce the mug cooldown to something short so if you're selling something, you better log in frequently, and if you don't, you'll suffer.
Lol.. I don´t usually buy/mug.. But this dude kind of asked me to.
Seems like Mundo is a chicken
Remove mug protection. If you are incapable of closing your bazaar before logging off then thats your fault/gamble/problem/choice/whatever. Give a one hour grace period in case of random web outtage/powerplug pulling ragequit, etc
Video killed the radio star, ha
Some new thing is always killing some old thing
good point though. more data and info available makes the price swings less up and downy, probably good for the consumer, but ehh not so swell for the seller/trader
I used to sell "expensive morphine" in trade chat used to work because it was easy to find for people in hosp.
Would never happen anymore.
Either get rid of mug protection or increase the % you gain from mugging, especially when you have 10/10 merits on it. You can mug someone with 6bil on hand and only get just over 100mil.. Dire.
"Weeman must have brought his points to Committee before I was there"
It was roughly half a year ago and like 8 against changing mug protection and 3 for changing mug protection, with the most popular stance being that removing mug protection would make the rich and strong be able to exploit the n00bs. After having a few months to think on it I like the idea of bazaar sales going to cashier cheques and offline mugs having different cooldowns than online ones.
I'm sure Ched wouldn't be opposed to some sort of change either if this comment in the thread is anything to go by. Make a suggestion and see if it gets picked up:
Chedburn [1]I don't really see any solution to the exploit.
Personally I really don't see being mugged as a huge deal, it's like a small tax. If you sell a huge amount of stuff and someone mugs you, you're only going to lose a small percentage of the total amount you made.
Mentions:
Chedburn [1]
Don't like it, don't like the mugging system too much either.
i enjoyed chain mugging etc when it was around. For me the fun has been sapped out of the game. It's too soft, I've been mugged and have mugged and it is a good punishment for anyone dumb or lazy enough to get caught out.
I know traders don't like my view and I understand why but it's just simply a loss of enjoyment for me. I adapted, used the current system to make a decent amount and switched to other money making methods.
Im no big game mugger, I only got 3 or 4 months of the old system when I was strong enough to mug; I think now, id thrive in that system.
Unfortunately I don't see it changing; the criminal aspects of the game seem to be the ones that get nerfed.
So ched in committee, admitted it's an exploit and he doesn't know what to do. And saying that being mugged is a small tax and not a big deal.
But you want bazaar sales to go to cashier. I suggest we remove attacking from the game. It's too violent.
Edit: every time I talk about mug protection, advocates like you say protect the nubs from buy mugging. The problem isn't buy mugging, there is blacklist for that, problem is, traders, flyers and gamblers are all mug protected. Only people left to mug are inactives
Not everyone is protected, I can find some mugs to do time to time.
And if you want to give it a try, I'm never protected at all, I just like to store the cash fast.
Something sells? I store the cash.
Losing health? I close the bazaar in case of a group-mug.
Protection is for the weak.
Mugging is silly.. I mean come on.. the numbers don't make sense at all
All cash from bazaar sales, item sales, property sales should go straight to the bank like stock sales
Then make mugging a 50-100% thing.. if someone has 10m on hand and I mug them.. I get $10m. Easy. Just let people move money straight from vault to trade so people don't have to sit there with 1b when buying some samurai swords..
I think that would kill trading completely (more dead than it is right now), anyone would just sell items themselves.
More competition in the market.. prices would move more..
Hypothetically, if mug protection were removed...How many new traders would survive? Offline players don't deserve mug protection, given, but lag can prevent a trade from showing in events, giving the buy muggers all the advantage. I just don't see many of us surviving without some means to protect ourselves.
I agree with cashier's checks from sales. The money still has to be collected, giving a mugger a window of opportunity if they're patient. Maybe have checks automatically expire after 30 mins, transferring funds to the player if not collected. Then it's free to be mugged, but the trader can't say he didn't have a chance at least.
I'm not against mugging...It adds excitement to the game knowing money can be stolen. If we even had a 15 second grace period after a sale, and possibly an alert sound for bazaar sales, then I'd not have a complaint.
If only CityWatch/DoctorN was a thing... if only...
People don't need mug protection if they're active, mug protection is just for the inactive.
An active player will simply tab to their ghost trade and store the cash once they get notified about the sale.
If It's a trade-mug, there's way to prevent this too, have an attacking page on someone to see if someone starts attacking you, with your trade tab ready to decline already, if that happens you can decline it fast and store your cash. If nothing happens... just do the trade.