Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

PARENTING

Started by 1596815 [1596815] on in General Non-related.

41 replies · 337 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 42 / 42 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Stente [1899758]

Selective breeding, keep those sick ****s from having babies, is the best way forward for human kind.. We don't have room for all the kids at the current rate, might as well get rid of the stupid/half-breeds adn get some olympian genes instead
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

I strongly agree with more sex education and contraceptive methods.

There is an issue with the morale rightous impending education in some areas / victorians.

I steer clear of the trying to legislate abortion it can become very murky.

The UN had a report on the UK back in the 2000s and stated it had a very bad attitude towards its younger generations and this in turn affects the gang culture and young pregnancies and I agree.

The culture at large can effect morality it is a very large issue. Some other EU countries are very forward thinking and some like the UK are very backwards and do not like reality for whatever reasons.

Before this becomes an even bigger subject I will bow out from this discussion now.

-Many would say I should have been aborted. Some may still agree.
daub [1869454]

The state whooshed in when community absconded and the state destroys everything except reliance upon itself. It's fun to laugh at imbecilic parents but they are products of a time with little meaning, a time cultivated to divide and control (and tax).
JustJanet [911066]

well.. technically they might have a kid on the spectrum the problem is they want to say it is debilitating, and it isn't. They just have a weird kid and weird kids are tedious at times but awesome too. Autism for many of us just makes us weird. There is autism with MR and kids with both need help. Then there are kids with severe autism and they need help too... then there are a lot of people who fall on the spectrum but can function just fine without anything more than patience and consistency.

I have no doubt that if my family had been created just 20 years later I would have had a diagnosis somewhere on the spectrum. I turned out just fine, but where all the rest of my sisters had no problems in school nor with behavior, I did. They all were honor roll students and excelled in whatever they chose to do. then there was me who should have had the easiest time in school. I was reading small chapter books before going to kindergarten, but I was constantly in trouble for either not doing what I should be doing or for ignoring work until about 7th grade. Some of the hallmarks of my childhood that make me suspect that I had social learning issues. When I had temper tantrums, I banged my head on the floor or wall until I was about 5. I liked to go "think" under my bed or in a tiny space in the closet. My sixth grade autograph book has 35 very similar comments. Almost all of them say "you are weird but nice." Then there were a few very kind kids who put things like, "If you learned how to just be normal we could hang out more often." And to this day I have this compulsion to fix both exaggerations and generalizations to specifics. When I give directions to places I can't just say, "Go down a mile or so... it has to be about the right mileage or it derails me. I've gotten way better at letting things go but I once almost caused a good friend to hate me because she gave directions to our hotel and told the person to drive about a minute and then start looking for our exit. I did the math in my head while she was on the phone, and realized the only way they could drive for about a minute and get to our exit, was if they drove 180 miles an hour. I worked in a little room with about 5 people in it and tried to tell her before she hung up to tell them they needed to go 3 minutes to get to our exit. All of them looked at me like I was crazy... trying to explain that the math wouldn't let it be possible just made it worse. :P

Anyhow... I turned out almost just fine! Now I only tell people in online forums how their generalizations are wrong and go into specific detail how it could be fixed. :P

I'm not trying to make light of Autism. It is so important for children to be diagnosed early and if they are, they often times can be helped to where they don't need specific accommodations when they get to school. Or if they still need accommodations, they are not as restrictive and blatant. It's a tough world out there for people who cannot learn to navigate socially. The amount of people diagnosed is probably much less than are actually on the spectrum, but the thing is, just being on the spectrum doesn't mean one is debilitated. Humans are adaptable and learn to function despite their disabilities. It's just a lot easier to help someone learn when there are clear goals to achieve.

Regarding the original post, I blame a lot of issues on people not understanding sacrifice. Parents need to sacrifice in so many ways. they have to be tough on kids to make sure kids understand consequences. When parents think,"oh it's not that big of deal" and don't make a child have consequences, the kid doesn't learn how to behave. When parents think their needs are more important than their kid's, the kid learns to be selfish and not consider other people's needs. When parents think, "They will learn that in school" the kid will have learning issues. because learning happens from infancy and the kids who learn their letters and numbers learn them because the parents front load and then reinforce what kids learn in school. School is where kids apply what their parents start. It kills me that kids don't know the names of colors in kindergarten! you'd think it would hardly ever happen but it happens all the time... half the class will not know the name of all the colors. Kids start verbalizing in their first year and by three most are able to speak in full sentences and tell their family their preferences. what are kids saying when they want the pink top over the green one?! how do they not communicate that stuff? I know in some cultures children don't get spoken to. it's common enough that here in California we have commercials telling parents to "talk, read, sing" to their kids. It's crazy to me that there is a population in our world that doesn't know this is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBimSTS0jII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWks6cgJ-k
TheEmptySuit [1911120]

Hmm?

Oh.

hold on now I'm confused, google isn't helping, what the hell does retroactive mean. I thought I did but my mind is half-asleep so I don't know noe.
Beerstein [1322136]

Say your mom tried to abort you 25 years ago and wasn't allowed to, but now it's legal to and they reverse that decision, well I have great news for you! Now hold still, this wont hurt a bit...
dunmugmeh [538353]

This is a very very very delicate situation.

So i will get straight to the point. There are a lot of people having kids who should not be having kids.

Having kids is a 20+ year commitment minimum. The smart people know this so they only have kids when they think its a good idea.

So there are very few smart people having kids.

So what we have is the poor, helpless, jobless, druggies, alchies etc all having kids. Kids which they arent capable of raising properly. Kids doomed to a life of poverty. Kids being abused because their parents dont know how to feed/clothe/educate them properly or even worse they dont care.

Many people should not be allowed to have kids.
dunmugmeh [538353]

When i go out on the town partying i encounter a lot of wasters. People who spend 8 + hours a day in the pub. Crappy jobs/no jobs with low pay, they sniff cocaine A LOT ie all their money goes on that. They are desperate and hopeless.

They have kids sometimes multiple kids. They treat them like fashion accessories it seems to me.

I live in a small town. So there are a LOT of kids being 'raised' in environments like that.

So many people are having kids who shouldnt be allowed anywhere near kids let alone their own kids ....
1596815 [1596815]

Janet,

A really amazing post. A lot of parents think its easy. The mentality is "All i need is to provide a house, feed and change diapers." And somehow the kids will learn to crawl, walk, talk and learn about life as they get older by themselves or in "daycare". If the child picks up a bad habit the mentality is " They will grow out of it". This is the reason why kids fall behind. Academically, Socially and really affecting thier mood which ultimately leads them to behavioral problems. Then money is poured into a psychologist, when what they really needed was advice, attention, closeness and love.

Dunmug

You are correct. People think its a walk in the park, When it really isnt. First off, you have to love your spouse to really be able to withstand and adapt to the drastic changes that occur when that baby is born. Secondly, you need to have money. You need to be able to buy your child the proper clothing, uniforms, supplies, give them the proper food. Feeding your child an endless amount of mcdonalds for $5 is unacceptable. People need to think.
nefets [1880870]

thats the plot for Idiocracy (nice premise. so so movie. watch it if you can)

I agreethat many should not be allowed to have kids, but that raises some questions

How do we select those that can breed from the population?

At what age should we select them?

How to enforce it? (for this im leaning towards retroactive abortion(also, please do not make it into another abortion discussion))


JustJanet [911066]

To be honest, you are just seeing the people who refused to grow up when nature was trying to force them to. Getting caught by an unexpected pregnancy is nothing new. It's been happening since the dawn of time. The difference is that we used to be taught that there were consequences and responsibilities because of our actions. We have had a couple of generations now where parents want to protect their little darlings from the harshness of the world and never see them cry or struggle. Because of this they did not learn that sometimes you have to grow up and take care of the life you unintentionally created.

I have many friends who got pregnant early and they settled down and raised kids. It's what was mostly expected at the time. There are a few who were not so adept and now Grandma is raising the kids... but I'm fifty, so I have a classmate who got pregnant at 15, her mom raised her daughter. Her daughter, who calls her bio mom a sister, got pregnant around 18. I'm pretty certain she had graduated before having the baby. So grandma is now raising her great-granddaughter. I have no idea what the great-granddaughter is going to do if she gets pregnant before she should. The one raising the kids won't live forever and when you are on your third generation... I don't know if it makes sense to keep doing the same thing. To be fair, the girl my age has a sister who turned out perfectly normal. Also, I am pretty certain the gran daughter is being called mom and is taking some responsibility. However, she does still live with grandma and grandpa. or did two or three years ago. I don't live in the neighborhood anymore but the last time I was chatting with neighbors the great grand daughter was in HS... so she is probably either graduating this year or did last year.

My oldest sister was a prom pregnancy. My parents got married had 4 daughters and were married the rest of their lives. Mom passed away 5 days before her 55th anniversary. Lorin's parents also got pregnant during HS. His dad got married labor day weekend and started his senior year of HS the Tuesday after his wedding. Lorin's mom didn't get to go back to school. it was pushing it to send a married man to High school back in the 60s. They have been married for 56 years and also have 4 kids. Oh! I almost missed my point.. it wasn't about the responsibility bit which obviously they did... it's about the money bit. Neither of our parents had money. They saved, scrimped and sacrificed to give us what we needed. We wore shoes until the toes broke through the top and the soles rubbed to the cloth. We wore hand me downs and a lot of our clothes were hand made.money isn't necessary. it is nice and it certainly helps with the stress levels. but being willing to go without solves the problem of money. Kids need love and just enough to keep them alive. Everything else is compromise-able.
JustJanet [911066]

Well to be fair, he didn't say adults and he didn't mention grammar. He words mean that he supports parents being able to terminate their kids regardless of the place they currently occupy in the line between conception and old age. I don't support that although I suspect most parents have probably thought about it at least once... The old, "I brought you into this world; I can take you out of it,' line of thinking.
Daisy3 [730750]

People mess up and always will. That's life.

Instead of complaining about something that already exists, try to help out.

When a hungry, snotty-nosed kid comes to your house to play with your kids (because you've taught your own children to be good and caring people) just feed this kid, love this kid, and make them follow the rules just like you would your own kid. Be a good example.

If you see something wrong and you know it's wrong, address it! Don't ignore it. Don't just hope it will go away. Remember, if you have children, the things you do (or don't do) are being observed and they will learn from your actions.