His one figures show that 1.67 trillion has been removed in the 1 to 1 system, hardly 1 to 1 however this bug report has nothing to do with that - just shares issue.
Npc stock
Started by Mat-Senpai [952164] on in Bugs & Issues.
Posts archived: 150 / 150 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
His one figures show that 1.67 trillion has been removed in the 1 to 1 system, hardly 1 to 1 however this bug report has nothing to do with that - just shares issue.
I just don't understand the opinions that override this. This is common sense. Share values ought to go up if player demand is such that 0 are available .. until share values get to a high enough price that it becomes worthwhile in some players' opinions to sell them.
Chedburn [1] You can see the number of existing and new players. Does the massive influx of new players warrant a multiplying of the available shares periodically?
To my fellow players please consider this carefully. You are giving fat cats what they want by supporting the inflation of the available shares. You make it possible for more wealth to slosh in at lows and rise with the tide. IF there is a relatively fixed pool of shares the values will tend to climb gradually. That serves to gradually diminish the rate of return to owning these stock blocks. It gives older players some advantage!
Lastly I just do not believe that there is a competent trained economist behind the scenes. Not on full time retainer, not even in an advisory role when you need him / her. For anyone curious about what is going on here please read a basic introductory chapter about monetary economics. You are treating the stock market like Zimbabwe treated their currency. Runaway inflation is never a healthy thing. IF there is someone who you consider your "economist" Chedburn please drag him or her into this thread.
Mentions: Chedburn [1]
To make sense of all this. If the Torn stock market were to function more like a real world market consider the following example.
Feathery Hotels Group runs a chain of hotels that players can rent a room in. The Feathery Hotels Group have a limited number of hotel rooms to sell time in. Feathery Hotel Coupons are the tickets to stay in a room. As Feathery Hotel Coupons become more scarce the price tends to go up. The item market allows resale of the tickets. Similarly to how there are secondary markets for tickets to concerts or sporting events in reality. With the profits that FHG accrues they either retain earnings to build more hotels and increase their production capacity, or they issue a dividend and pay out their profits to shareholders periodically (usually quarterly, but also monthly, or less often / predictably, depending on the amount of sales / profits). This is actually a SUGGESTION by the way.
It would absolutely be tolerable for only a fraction of the money spent by players on Feathery Hotel Coupons at the Shop to be paid out as dividends. In exchange for more ready access to FHCs via a shop. Serves a game purpose of removing money from the system. Also the stock block could still give FHCs as dividends.
In the same vein some of the money that players spend on Ammunition should be put into a pool from which dividends could come for the appropriate stock.
I'd like to give my input on this as a relatively new player. I've always found it very difficult to make any kind of significant income in this game. I started out like everyone else: "fly and sell plushies", until I could afford to support my main goal which is train stats to be competitive in faction war. Due to that goal, I was unable to do the plushie running thing anymore. Can't really do both and expect significant improvement in either.
I stayed broke all the time. (my entire networth is from using real money to buy DP's to sell in-game to buy stock blocks for the stock perks... I struggle daily to keep my liquid cash above $10 mil). I had to do something to start making more money, so with advice and generous starting money from a friend who has been successful with the stock market, I bought $150 mil worth of TCB when it was at $606 per share on October 17th and back on an upswing from its first massive drop from $948 per share. I waited and watched. I was looking forward to being successful in my very first attempt at generating an income from the stock market.
You don't have to be a stock analyst or even experienced in stock trading to look at the all-time history graph and see that the value should have went higher than the $606 per share I paid for it in a relatively short period of time. Instead, what I see now is that it has plummeted to an all-time low that was set on Feb 27th, 2011... almost 7 years ago. And its still falling as we're having this discussion.
Something is VERY wrong here. I don't know what caused it or the solution. What I do know is this: Whatever has happened is not natural or logical and I'm very disheartened that this had to happen at the same time I was very excited about learning a new way to make money in Torn.
I've been a subscriber since day-1 and spend real money on this game. I really enjoy it, but lately I'm becoming more and more disappointed everywhere I turn. It has become more work and less fun. I'll just sit here and watch my networth plummet along with everyone else and wonder what's next? What's going to be the final straw that broke the camel's back and I move on?
Someone knows what caused this, so please fix it. Thanks.
reminds me of when Leslie turned up :)
Don't try to apply any economic theory or real-world market analogy to Torn stock market. You'll just give yourself a headache.
The stocks are not tied to any underlying metrics or financials or w/e. The stocks can't even rightfully be called shares, since it's not like you own a share in any company. All you own is a ticket that, if you get lucky, the NPC will redeem for you when the price is high. It's gambling plain and simple. Any price above rock bottom is merely a reflection of your anticipated gambling winnings if the NPC picks you, not an actual value or any sort of price that an informed player would buy at. It's kind of like a raffle, where if your ticket gets picked, you win a bunch of money, but if it doesn't get picked, you get whacked in the balls with a sledgehammer.
I think we should continue to buy up all available shares. Send Torn City Investment Bank down to $1 a share. Buy up heaps of shares at $1 each. Tens of billions of shares at $1 each. What do you say lads?
Maybe then we can get a response. An intervention that supports a decent share price.
Another 1.6b shares added
5b to 13b
Ched, I know you say npc shares have nothing to do with stock value but how does a stock keep an average forecast when it's in such high demand
Reminds me of what my grandma used to say.. "Ignore the problem and hope it will go away on its own" xD But seriously ched, these guys have a point, or rather, points and you need to devise plans for stocks 2.0 soon!
It's also rather funny on how at poor there was -$800 ticks then at very good we are seeing +$300 ticks.
still waiting for MCS to drop to normal lvls... since it has been rising forever ... :/
it fell by $200 or so less than a month ago....
$700*
lol ur poor
Honestly though, does no one remember IIL? This isn't unusual behaviour for the stock market. This isn't a risk-free endeavour.
I doubt he even will do anything to it I mean the game has added 2 b TCB shares and within 14 hours it's added another 2.4 b shares.
Looks like in around a weeks span the game as listed around 200% shares
Edit: Added the most recent additions, now that they're in the API.
The shares have tripled in about 3 weeks.
https://prnt.sc/h7jx2p
[image: image.prntscr.com]
https://prnt.sc/h7il7b
[image: image.prntscr.com]
Disclaimer, i'm invested, but this isn't about me or my investment, i know the risks. But a stock tripling in shares in 3 weeks seems...odd.
"odd"
i'm honestly concerned with the simple fact ched isn't commenting - i'm hoping the reason he isn't is because he wants to give it time and see how things go... but now more time goes and nothing is being done it is really starting to feel like admin manipulation which i still doubt - changes made without informing players which does seem likely and a mixture of simply being ignorant or/and lack of caring.
2b more shares added now.
we can now there has been more times the NPC has added bulk shares in the past 7 days than ched has replied.
I still think the queue system buy back, may just make things ok, if the major concern is ability to sell shares back through the NPC. Once shares are added for sale and meet the criteria, everyone with shares up for sale will at least know where they stand in the queue. I could see it being a much bigger issue if there were only a few different stocks and if everyone was only invested in 1 stock. I "think" with there being 30 stocks, there is enough variety for other stocks to getting bold/sold to feed the NPC budget and buy back shares for the liquidity purposes. And even if the NPC buys a few back here and there. Those players who get the liquidity from the sales, will 'most' likely reinvest again, thus giving the NPC budget buying power again. We won't know for sure until it happens, when the masses get to point of selling the mass added shares.