Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

HELP ME, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Started by -BC-M16 [1002535] on in General Discussion.

101 replies · 1.07k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 102 / 102 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
102
Discussion span
→
Authority score
39 / 100
Historical score
32 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
78 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

phLOx [451848] ×1

-BC-M16 [1002535]

first off sorry if I scared any of you, I known I can shout pretty loud. This is what I hear from new players on a daily basis on torn. I hear it in the chats, the forums, irc, discord and my mail box. I quickly come to there aid and ask them what's wrong? What happened? There answer is always the same, they asked another player for some help or advice, they ask for a little bit of money to help them start their torn career, they accidentally upset the wrong person. As a result they are now being bountyied to death. Unable to afford medical items they live in hospital. Torn career in ruins. we as a community need to change, from now on when someone begs you for money help them out give then some. Wouldn't you want a hand out if you were new to torn? If they ask you for help and you can't be bothered to help them, refer them to the questions forum. Give them a break if they insult you, it was probably an accident. Doing this we as a community can retain more players and help torn grow to new heights. Discuss
PapaEmeritus [1974874]

Funny, when I started Torn I kept my mouth shut and worked at understanding the game...

Maybe it's just a Millennial problem?
UwU [2081212]

-BC-M16: "we as a community need to change, from now on when someone begs you for money help them out give then some."



Give me 100m
Hyperreal [2042404]

-BC-M16: "we as a community need to change, from now on when someone begs you for money help them out give then some."

"Gimme 6,969,696$ plz lol"
Jynx [2087322]

I insult people by accident all the time. I hit my keyboard in frustration and wham! an insult to someone I asked for help is typed and sent. Woops
Champion [1927067]

It's funny how when one troll gets banned, another troll takes their place

You took Sharpmid's place (for now)

Would be interesting to see who would take my place when i'm banned
ChickenGirl [2096673]

BC isn't saying you absolutely must send them money, he's only asking that you not respond ridiculously. I agree that sitting tight and working at understanding the game are important for new players, and that very few people have excess cash that they can shovel off to newbies. The big takeway here is that you can easily give them advice, refer them to the forums, or just say no. Ruining the game for them is only going to invite quitting.
Blunt [2076337]

Agreed, but I also see merit (a rare occasion) in what BCM16 said. I kept my head down and put in the work to get where I am now, but it was hard, took a long time, and a good faction to get me there. But, when a new player asks me for help or for a handout, I try to give them the knowledge to help themselves. That should be the norm if we want to retain new players and help our community grow for the better.
Hamr [2027992]

So... in translation:

"The mechanics that make Torn Torn are opressive against players who don't know how to step on eggshells like the rest of us. Therefore we should make with the nice-nice and stop having fun"



My response is... No. Categorically no. Bountying until you get effectively kicked from the game for a day or two is how this community enforces order. Be annoying, friendly bountying. Be an ass, prepare to feel your own assery.
Hamr [2027992]

This is usually (I found) the case when using New Player's chat or joining a faction. An functional faction will help and advise, and occasionally dish out some charitable support. Much as one might expect from an information service desk (NPC), or from friends and family (factions). Asking strangers in the street is always a gamble. Especially in crime-ridden Torn.