What were the early days of Torn like? What features were missing? What have they removed? Im just curious how far the game has progressed since its first released.
Early days
Started by nxtman [2134955] on in General Discussion.
About this thread
Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 34
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 59 / 100
- Historical score
- 38 / 100
- Story score
- 58 / 100
- Engagement score
- 69 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor
· 3 likes ·
#bringbackdongs - PrincessJulie [11229] Admin
· 2 likes ·
Depends how early you mean. When I joined, factions didn't exist yet and everyone just changed their names to add in their faction tag
What were the early days of Torn like? What features were missing? What have they removed? Im just curious how far the game has progressed since its first released.
Depends how early you mean. When I joined, factions didn't exist yet and everyone just changed their names to add in their faction tag
Wow, your account is old indeed lol
#bringbackdongs
Yeah, I really miss the dongs of the early days
#dingdongthewitchisdead
When I first joined 10 was the highest level
sucked when players could trade scam
now we have the confirmation screen where items/cash/etc cannot be changed, so you can know what's in the trade when accept
I still remember when dp cost 100 points and before vicodin was airbone. I know there are still lot of pretty ****ed up people that stayed in torn for too longg. More than a decade!
i remember when there was destructive warring ahhh the good days... when staff said there would never be mobile apps...
sadly I joined after dogs, but it seemed like a cool addition to the game.
There's not much I can really offer to this thread, since I'm still fairly young. I feel like all the interesting stories would come from people around pre-RESPO. Can anyone post some screenshots from that time?
That said, the only thing I can think of is when warring was still a thing. I feel like they only turned it off recently, but a bunch of people in my faction never experienced it. Before the current chaining 2.0 system, the only way to chain was to declare war on other factions, and then only people in those factions counted towards the chain counter. The max length of a chain was 100, so a faction would typically spend a period of a few days stamping out dozens of 100 chains until they decided they were done. A faction could declare victory on an enemy faction when a meter of how much respect was gained on the enemy faction filled up, a bit like what the meter for a territory war looks like now. Declaring victory granted some bonus respect and took some from the enemy.
The current system is more newbie friendly, since you can attack anyone you like and still have it count. When only factions you were at war with counted, players with low stats would often struggle to contribute as everyone they could hit would already be in hospital. You had to hosp for a hit to count back then.
Warring will become a lot more interesting and a lot more fun once Warring 2.0 is released, but we're not sure when that'll be, since the devs have other things on the priority list right now, like Bookie 2.0, Crimes 2.0, and Beards.
Lol back when I started the only usable candy was pixy sticks, all the Christmas town stuff was just display. And don't let anyone tell you dogs were awesome, they sucked. I wish they would bring them back for 1 week so everyone would see this.
This promo video was made by my friend DOUBLE_O_SEVEN. IT shows the log in screen I would see when I started playing the game. I'm uncertain if it had been different at an earlier time. If you watch the video you will also see that there were only 9places to fly... When you flew to Hawaii, you could hang out at the beach and get leied or someone could buy you a cocktail r champagne. It was fun.
He also made a recruitment video for out faction.
Other random memories...
I had a dog for maybe a couple of weeks and then Uncle Ched sent them all to Happy Acres Farm in New Mexico. I really don't recall much about them. I did not fight mine so it was sort of pointless to have one.
I remember the first time I got through all of the education and then they decided to add degrees and lots of classes. I did the math and realized I was going to be doing schooling for at least another 5 years if I stuck with the game. I honestly didn't think I would.
Back when I started you could keep your faction peaceful while you built up your character and then turn it to a warring faction when you felt you were ready. that's how I ended up a faction leader. My faction leader thought we were ready and as soon as he turned us to a warring faction we started to get beat to a pulp. He was sort of a dick and made some enemies who were waiting for him to stop being peaceful. When he realized things were going to end badly, he had me start a new faction and all the newbs went there. I was the newbiest of the newbs. :P He never joined the new faction. He instead freaked out that his torn wife was 13 and that it meant torn was encouraging some sick and twisted pedophilic society. He was pissed that many of us decided not to quit with him. I couldn't understand why he didn't just divorce is underage wife and marry his real life wife that played the game with us... simple things like that were beyond him tho.
Eventually all factions turned into warring factions and anyone could declare on you if they wanted. Or if a faction did not feel the desire to war they didn't have to declare on anyone and just deal with factions warring against them.
When this was called Torn City...
Good old days when you warred for a reason, not for respect... [:sick:]
Lol you mean you warred for extortion
what happened to the dogs
They were dumb, and people abused the system, so they were removed.
The warring system you're talking about was honestly pretty newbie friendly.
I thought they were removed for the incredible lag they caused, and the big crash.