Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Efficient Flying

Started by Aphrodite3 [2169478] on in Questions & Answers.

17 replies · 486 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 18 / 18 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
18
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
47
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

Most-liked replies

Aphrodite3 [2169478]

Hi all,

 

I am not sure if a thread has been created on this just yet but I wish to know the most efficient way to make money from flying. I have heard a fair bit of conflicting information on this subject so am just after some clarification. Here is what I am looking to know: 
  • Are sets better to go after than single flowers or plushies? I have a bazaar so selling is not the biggest issue.
  • If sets are not the best way to go, what should I be going after?
  • Is long-distance flying really worth the time away from most of the games aspects?
  • Would long-distance flying have a noticeable difference when it comes to my training (in regards to the wasted E from flights over 5 hours in total)?
Once I go back to 3700+ happy again, I'll be training with Xanax and what not. To do this I really need to maximise my income while not training. I don't really want my flying to have a huge impact on my energy usage though, although I guess it would not be the worst thing, provided the money I could get from flying can compensate (in the form of candy, DVDs etc).

 

All in all, what would be the best use of my time when it comes to making money from travelling?

 

Thank you in advance, 

 

Aph.
Delta [2049998]

ATM you're living in a shack. Since you mentioned going back to 3700 happy I'll tell you right now that flying is very inefficient without an airstrip. Don't do it, if you're gonna fly then fly with an airstrip. (Airstrip will give you -30% flight time and +10 carry capacity). Also I would recommend joining a faction with +10 travel items.

Although sets sell for more, it's usually easier to go after individual flowers/plushies. Some flowers/plushies make you more than others so you'd make more flying for one good type of flower/plushie than sets. Also most of the time you schedule is determined by real life. Fly wherever fits with your real life schedule.

In my opinion plushies normally sell for more than flowers. Most people calculate profit per hour by taking the profit from one trip and dividing by the number of hours (number of hours can be fractional). Personally I like profit per day better because it works better than profit per hour. For example panda plushies have a higher profit per hour than camel plushies even though they sell for less because it takes 2 hrs 50 minutes to go to china and 3 hrs 10 minutes to go to Dubai. However if you can only go to China twice a day or Dubai twice a day then camel plushies sell for more so Dubai is the obvious choice despite having lower profit per hour.

Flying sucks, you don't get to do much. It's up to you to decide if you want to fly or not. In the end you're playing the game to have fun. If you don't like to fly then don't. There are other options to making money (stocks, trading etc).

Flights over 5 hours do have a noticeable difference in training, they also usually have better profit because not everyone wants to waste energy. The energy part of training is pretty linear so if you get 1500 energy a day traveling to close places and 1000 energy a day traveling to far places you are progressing 1.5x faster if you go to close places. Basically you have to decide if the lost energy is worth the extra money. 

There are a lot of factors in choosing the best place to fly to which is why everyone doesn't just go to one place, also the economy balances it pretty well because if you make 2x the money by going to the UK then the sell price of everything in the UK halves. I'll say that it might be worth losing some energy if you make enough extra money for edvds and that stuff because happy jumps are much more effective than regular training at low stats.
Hopslam [795412]

Argentina and UK are solid choices for travel

the reason you hear conflicting info is because the best options are going to largely be dependent on the individual, the "best" for making money may not be the best overall strategy for one player who doesn't want to waste E or nerve. There's been a lot of topics / posts about it, so I won't try to summarize and put everything here, basically the "best" travel will be dependent on your individual goals and your individual time availability. Sometimes, it might make more sense to travel to the longer distances. Other times, it might make more sense to travel to the mid distances over and over if you have the time availability. And if you really want to get hardcore about it, you definitely need to get info the travel destinations on what is in stock before traveling to a certain spot -- there are travel job perks for this, there is the travel thread in trading forum, and there is something like doctorn or travel run that helps with that info as well.
Aphrodite3 [2169478]

Delta and Hopslam, 

 

Thank you very much for your information. I appreciate the time you took to answer this for me and be assured it will be put to good use. I think for now I think I'll prioritise making money over my stats. With the income from flying and cans from my 10* sweet shop job, I think I should be able to make up for the missed energy that comes with longer flights. Taking into account what you said about profit per day/hour and my personal schedule, I think I'll just have to fly to a few places and see what works out best for me. I have access to the Torn app so I get notified when I land so popping on briefly should not be an issue (bar overnight).

 

Thanks again,

 

Aph. 
Quintec [2110358]

China, Argentina, Switz. have been mathematically calculated to be the most efficient. If you don't want to waste E don't go China. But the others will leave you with 80 E after you get back, assuming you start out with 0 E. 
Tyrech [2091318]

What do you mean by "With the income from flying and cans from my 10* sweet shop job, I think I should be able to make up for the missed energy that comes with longer flights"? Do you mean you'll use the income from traveling and SS to buy xanax and refills for training or that you'll use the cans, in addition to xanax & refills, to make up for energy wasted?

I can give you my experience. With PI + large suitcase + faction specials I can carry atm 26 items per travel. I usually do 4 trips a day and try to travel to UK/Arg/Switz, sometimes ending up traveling 3 times to these places and 1 time to Hawaii or 2 and 2. Best case scenario I make 5.2m day and worst case scenario I make 3.9m day. The cost of training with 3 xanax (at 850k each) and energy refill (at 54k per point) is 3.9m so even in a bad day I can cover it. As for PI maintenance, the good days tend to outweigh the bad ones and with traveling alone I can pay for my daily expenses, so everything extra is profit, like SS cans or stock payouts is profit.

And as a side note, the price I used to calculate daily income as well as xanax and points price is the worse of the worst. I always sell items for better prices and buy for lower. It's all about working the market, see which days and which hours tend to be best to sell, watch for players putting heavy thought and plays in the market and check current trends. It's a tedious work to do, but if done right can get you an extra % for every single sale you make and once you're good at it and know what to be on the lookout for it becomes easier and when your pocket money gets a little higher you can start to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Delta [2049998]

Probably edvds, at low stats money is more important than energy because you can buy edvd with money.

From my personal experience I would boost my income and reduce my expenses as much as possible. Flying isn't fun by any stretch of the mind and it takes a while to make good money. Once you have money other options such as stocks or trading open up. That's why I used ecstacy instead of xanax when my stats were low. There wasn't too much difference and it was extremely cheap. If you're saving 500k a day from flying and 1.5m/day from SS thats 2m a day.

If you're only saving 2m/day thats going to take forever to do anything other than flying. Thats why I like to say money grows exponentially.
Silkhands [2118155]

As stated before. Fly with what fits into your real life schedule. Only carry the money you need to pay for the items you want. A must have is the Doc Torn extension so you can see what's available so you don't make a wasted journey. To avoid buy/mugs only open your bazaar when you travel, but close it when you land and squirrel your cash somewhere safe. If you have a vault then you're fine. If not then set up ghost trades with a trusted faction member but keep an eye out for when they expire. You could always buy shares in flight to avoid being mugged but you'd need a laptop for that.

As to the best places. It's on you. When I started I flew to Hawaaii as it was a nice 3hr round trip. The UK, Switzerland and Argentina are okay. For the longer flights I tend to make those late at night. If I'm planning to hit the hay at say 11pm I'll set off for the long haul to UAE or China a few hours before to coincide when I got to bed. That way all I have to do is land, buy and then take off. In the morning I'm back in Torn with an empty wallet and my goods stored up. Obviously in this instance I don't open my bazaar when I travel.
Tinsky12345 [2194370]

Mexico makes the most $ per minure but you have to be on the game every 17 minutes (if you have airstrip) In mexico you always wana buy plushies, everything else isnt worth it.
CRLF [2095076]

Druzhina makes an important point -- real life. Fit travel into your schedule.

For example, you get to work or leaving for classes, and have a minute to logon, but can't reliably be on again until your lunch break. So pick a travel location such that you will arrive during RL lunch. That will depend upon your travel method (such as PI airstrip) and how many hours/minutes it is until your lunch break.

Sometimes I'll travel when I leave work. I'll add in some extra time in case I get caught in traffic, and then plan on landing shortly after arriving at home in RL.

In these cases, check doctorn (or tornstats or travelrun) to make sure there will be stock in that city when you land, and also choose by length of flight. It may not be the *most* profitable flight, but you won't be sitting at a destination (and getting mugged) and you'll make some profit while working / in class / traveling / other RL commitment.

It doesn't work as well for sleeping unless you only sleep 5 hours.
KingWolf [2199786]

Also, be aware of any bounties you may have on you. If they are worth more than 500k or so, it would be quite risky to travel as if you land in a country, you may be instantly hospitalized - which can be considered much worse off than mugging.

If you are a fast player and know you can instantly buy items and get out, then you should be fine. But if your using some crap ass TalkTalk internet provider that lags every so often or you're just a slow turtle, you may want to rethink before traveling with bounties...

Just to add, if you do get attacked, try and instantly find a reviver in that country (ask in trade chat, the chatbox for that country or look through the list of people and pick out potential revivers). They maybe more expensive then normal revivers in the city, but that's only because you are abroad and are inevitably more desperate for a revive - so they charge more.

It's always good to get a revive as soon as possible, you will lose out on valuable time sitting in a country (which in turn means you will lose out on a lot of important energy/nerve) - especially if you have been hospitalized.
Elric65 [1968306]

Websites such as TornTools help out calculating best prices per run when it comes to profit including time taken to fly there.
Silkhands [2118155]

Following on from what CRLF said, I always set a timer on my smart phone to let me know when a travel destination is due. I also allow an addition minute in which to log on and sort out my life before making a trade. I am a fast buyer, unless I got hunting in which case it's my choice.

Empathising with the poor connection points, yes I had a similar incident when I was shopping the other day. I normally wouldn't care as I can just suck up being mugged, it's a fact of Torn life, but when your bazaar has just been cleaned out and you're sitting with $10m+ it is a teensy problem!

It's a fun story to tell though and I did escape with the goods and my money [:grin:]

Quick edit....

When I'm on low life, I might've done a mission or whatever. I do a short haul flight whilst my life regens. Additionally, before boarding for a long haul flight I also fill a few blood bags for my faction. I may need them myself after all. It's stuff like this that makes the small differences.
MrDoe [2170000]

Using e cans to counter energy lost for traveling does not really make sense. False economics. 

Cans go for more than you make on travel. So better don't travel to Dubai and Lose energy but sell can instead and travel to uk for example.