Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Attacking 2.1 display issue

Started by KnifeGirl [1548391] on in Bugs & Issues.

38 replies · 387 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 39 / 39 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

toshykazu [1435333] Admin Staff

How come firefox gave you different figures? First screen says 768px and that last one is 640px?

Could you please post a screen with your system resolution.

The rule here is simple. If your screen width is W, browser's width should also be W, while maximized and not zoomed.

So ether your actual screen resolution is not 1280px or there are some extensions/plugins in your browser that "affect zoom indirectly".


toshykazu [1435333] Admin Staff

Hm, why dos it say "Mirror displyas", as if you had another monitor connected?

I'm not sure what could be the reason but I'd suggest you to research "why system resolution is different than browser's".
KnifeGirl [1548391]

Mirror Displays is indeed about additional monitors - but that does not concern me. I do mot have additional monitors attached and never have done - it is a greyed out option which only comes alive when an additional monitor is detected.

Today other factors have caused me to update Firefox to 58.0 64-bit on my main laptop - the one I have been reporting these bugs on.

One of the consequences of this Firefox update, is that the browser does not quite meet my visual needs - as stated earlier I have low vision and need to use the in-built browser zoom facility to make text, etc bigger. Certainly, the default 100% is never right for me in Torn. On some sites using 100% can be fine - but I often find myself going to 110% and sometimes 120%.

I have done some very quick checks in my new Firefox environment and the bug as described remains the same! - with one MAJOR additional problem - zooming to 90% no longer gives me 2 combatants anymore so my workaround has had it.

Worse - I have now further display bugs! One discovered so far is the Forum page accessed from the sidebar only displays when my zoom setting is 100% or less regardless as to what MODE (mobile or desktop) I am in. I am going to report that bug separately once I have done further tests on other pages. I am also going to experiment with some zoom tool extensions which are available for Firefox to see what they can do.

There is some good news! The tree display still works fully and I can zoom up or down and it has no adverse effects whatsoever! Whatever technique is being use to do that is the same technique all developers should be using!

In short - the bug remains - it needs fixing. The in-built browser allows me to zoom from 30% to 300% - none of the zoom levels provide 2 combatants on the screen during fighting.

EDIT

PS I did research as you suggested and I arrived at articles I had seen before. I am not technical - but no doubt you have done the same research and the real answer seems to be that it is possible to have a browser window greater than screen resolution but the key learning point is that developers should no longer develop pages to accommodate a few basic sizes but should now use techniques which grabs the users browser settings and then displays accordingly. See my next post though which now shows I have a degree of consistency of browser size regardless of zoom level - its just not one of the sizes which attacking 2.1 appears to be able to cope with.
toshykazu [1435333] Admin Staff

Perhaps I stopped my research too early. I just clarified to myself that at zoom 100% one browser pixel maps to one system pixel, and no other way, hence if browser width is greater than display with this is probably caused by window stretching on 2 monitors and if browser width is less than display width, this means that window is not full screen/maximized.

This is why it seems confusing to me that your browser's width is not 1280px.

But as you said, the page should be displayed correctly for any browser width. The default behavior is that it should show just one "box" for both players when resolution is under 1000px and there should be 2 "boxes" if desktop mode is forced, but it still shows only one.

This needs to be fixed and requires quite a bit of work, because it should be fixed not only for attacking page but for many other pages.
KnifeGirl [1548391]

Many thanks for all your hard work. Good luck to you and others resolving matters. On my other standby machine I have been experimenting but afraid just now to transfer my findings to my main machine. On my standby machine I installed a firefox extension called zoom we and it looks as if I can zoom down to something below 80% and manage to see 2 combatants - the detail is a bit difficult but at least I can now see what damage they are inflicting on me as I attack.

Once more,thank you.
aurel1 [1046304] Admin Staff
 One of the last updates made players lifebars clickable, so you can switch between players models (and check their items and active effects) in mobile and tablet views, is this helpful?
KnifeGirl [1548391]
Thanks for your interest.
I will try and remember to look at this next time we chain, unless you can dish out energy for me to test :)
KnifeGirl [1548391]
Still unresolved.  During recent chain I tried what Aurel suggested.  It really does not help.  Yes, it does enable me to see the nemy during the fight, but I cannot see myself.  In other words, I can only see one combatant at a time which when compared with other players in the game spoils my enjoyment - but I get by!

To save all the reading above, in simple terms the techniques used by Torn coders to determine the users "screen" is far too simplistic - it may be good enough for over 90% of users but when it comes to satisfying accessibility specifications, Torn falls way short - but much better than when I first started playing nearly 8 years ago.
Stewie [1494547]
Do you perhaps have a setting on your PC that sets apps / programs to display at a larger size?
For example, Windows 10 (I see you mentioned your PC has Ubuntu?) has this setting:
[image: i.gyazo.com]
That would explain why you're getting 'Mobile View' at such low browser zoom levels.
KnifeGirl [1548391]
Thank you for your interest.
I am fairly conversant with Windows 10 and this new feature since the October 2018 update.  I only use my Windows 10 for business purposes ( I help disabled people with their computers and need a reference machine as regrettably most people still use Windows)

Yes, Ubuntu has other ways of achieving the same effects but uses different terminology.  (In fact Windows also has other functions which can achieve similar effects of larger text/graphics/etc)

Just for the record - I am NOT using "Mobile View" - I am using Desktop View on my Ubuntu laptop inside the latest Firefox browser.  And talking of browser - I get the same problem in Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, etc

Your conclusion that all this may explain why I am experiencing this issue is very right indeed.  However, your conclusion does not address the point.  I do not see the same display as most other players do during combat.  It puts me at a slight disadvantage - but I get by.

All the previous correspondence has eventually arrived at the point that the method of determining what the players display in the combat widow is severely flawed.  There were similar problems with the tree page  in the faction upgrade.  That was fixed.  I suggested at one time that whatever method the coder used to fix that, then the same technique should be used to fix the combat window.  In the conversation above it was relieved that all the coders of all the different pages within Torn do things very differently.  There was a suggestion that a common way of determining a players screen would be best so that all coders used the same routine.

I fully understand why that should take a long time to achieve.
Stewie [1494547]
Right, so looking through the screenshots that you've posted in this thread, I can see that you have 'Desktop view' selected--as because of your PCs settings / Resolution, Torn takes up almost all of the display?

So I think I have replicated exactly what the issue is here, and is that even though you're in 'Desktop view', the attacking screen isn't?
Please confirm.
[image: i.gyazo.com]
KnifeGirl [1548391]
This only occurs when I actually get into a fight.  It does not uccur if I simply try to attack someone when I have no energy.  The 2 combatants screen only occurs when you are actually fighting except for me it doesn't.  I am fairly certain I get exactly the same when I try and fight using my 8 inch Android, again in desktop view and landscape.

As I type this I am on my android tablet and about to sleep for the night.  I just checked and the icon that displays whether you are in desktop or mobile view does not change when I attempt to fight someone.  It stays in desktop view.  I only chose to attack someone, I did not actually "start fight" so unsure whether it the icon would then change but I doubt it.
Stewie [1494547]
I've spoke with the User in Chat at length and I believe the issue is that while viewing 'Desktop' from 'Mobile,' the Attacking screen does not show in 'Desktop.'

See screenshot - this should be displaying the models side-by-side. Not like this:
[image: i.gyazo.com]
Confirming this for Sviat to look at.
KnifeGirl [1548391]
Thanks for this.

Hopefully, my links to screenshots below will remove any ambiguity and not add to the confusion.
They were taken on my 14 inch screen Lenovo T410 laptop using Ubuntu 18:04 from within the latest Firefox browser.  ( I have similar issues no matter what browser I use)

For some time Ubuntu has had the facility to scale up or down the display on the screen.  Only since Windows 10 Oct 2018 feature update has windows managed to catch up with that feature.  I use a scale factor of 1.4 - the maximum being 3.0.  I have low vision and working at this scale factor I can use most of my PC just as much as anyone else although sometimes I have to scroll more and in some cases everything is still very small - for instance this forum post facility is still very small but I get by.

This first screenshot of the page I see when I initiate an attack is at my 1.4 scaling.

https://imgur.com/p5CqHF4

You should see that I only see one person and the "Start Fight" is centred.  When I do start the fight I can only see one combatant - not two.

Compare now with this screenshot which I have taken by adjusingt my scaling back to the default of 1.0.  (I always have to shutdown and reboot for the full effects of changing scaling)

https://imgur.com/OhWy8Su


You will see that I am depicted on the left with the "start" button off to the right.  If I were to start the fight I would then see 2 combatants at the same time.

The point I have been trying to make is that I cannot see this at all well because of my low vision.  I use my PC for many things and the scaling of 1.4 is the best compromise I have reached.  I have been trying to point out that Torn Coders should not assume we all use our PCs without configuring the scale and that we all have perfect 20:20 vision.  There has to be a better way of determining exactly how to render an image on the screen.  The "tree" page in Faction Upgrade used to have the same issues and that was fixed - I just don't understand why this issue cannot be fixed.

I hope this helps and many thanks once more.