Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Prior text-based games?

Started by Gawdly [2200587] on in General Discussion.

122 replies · 1.67k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 123 / 123 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

WitchChild [1987262]
I used to play a game called Genleo which was a brutal PvP game where if you went afk while outside the town you would be mugged and revived and mugged over and over until you had nothing left.

I would also like to mention Trade Wars 2002 which was a fantastic game but was destroyed by scripters who made the game unfair and unplayable for normal players.
beesword [2094856]
Same same. Especially Leslie's wheels. They remind me of those in Neopets

Have you claimed your jelly and omelette today bro
EyeDeeZeeNak [1586365]
Gangsters Paradise 1 & 2 and Street Crime are the only ones I remember the names of. I probably played a good half dozen or so text based crime games before finding Torn - this was about 11/12 years ago.
Makai [2229434]
Ah, MUDs! I spent a good chunk of some high school years in Medievia. I'd forgotten about it until now, but I remember being struck at just how immersive text gaming could be.
Lenin [2199004]
Remember to open your negg for the festival today; today's is at the pick your own berry farm in meridell...
ChaosReigns [2169241]
[image: memegenerator.net]


Well started learning the basics as part of my ICT course in college back in 02/03. Not quite as old as you grandad. xD

Planetarion was huge during my final year at secondary school. That took up a chunk of my "revision" time in the ICT suite and at home. Until my mum would storm in and rip out my internet cable from my brick of a pc.
iribuya [2103695]
My previous browser game was Travian. I had to quit that, because it was too much stress to be online 24/7. It was impossible to take a break especially late game where you had so much villages to manage. When I retire in 30+ years and that game is still here I will do a livestream and become the biggest player ever :P
JoeBoro [2222723]
Played travian for years before this on and off, I know exactly how you feel! needed to be online far too much otherwise you were screwed.. Plus pay to win was a must.
Ceiro [4005]
Before this, i used to play Dark Future, was a pretty bad ass gametbh, some guys on my school made that.
Also used to play Pimp Area which wasn't the best, but it killed the time.

Still miss DF till this day tbh :(
SkinnyPeen [2176021]
The last browser game I sank tonnes of time into was The Kingdom of Loathing. It was good shit

Your currency was meat, and the game was full of wordplay ect, it had various classes and ascension, crafting (you'd have to make meatpaste out of your meatmoney to stick things together)

Instead of energy you had 'adventures' (of which were 200 per day) and you could go out on the various quests or train your stats with 
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
Dark-future was my favourite, and a huge inspiration for Torn. I remember speaking with them back in the day and they actually did a little work for me. It's sad they shut it down.
Migs [2166018]
Omerta, was a crime based game really similar to this one in some aspects. Aside from when you died in the game you had to restart completely. But i did not find this game a friend told me about it, Torn is much better...i get to keep my account lol