Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Prior text-based games?

Started by Gawdly [2200587] on in General Discussion.

122 replies · 1.67k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 123 / 123 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
123
Discussion span
→
Authority score
63 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
80 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Gawdly [2200587]
Was wondering what some people played in the past that lead them down the road to play Torn?

For me when i was super young was Outwar / Earth 2025 which then turned into Utopia and Mythea, which were for sure pretty competitive in warring!(brute force ftw!) For sure I'd have to say Torn has been the best moderated out of all I've had the chance to play, which is ultimately what draws me into this game.
AnnaT [2185337]
I didn’t find Torn... Torn found me. Some say it’s pure luck... I say it was fate that brought us together.
RawB [2276594]
alienaa, hobowars, equinox... and even before those BBS games like legend of the red dragon(L. O. R. D)
Chit [1380260]
I played Outwar right around when Snoop Dogg came out with Drop It Like It's Hot, so whatever year that was.



And I came over from HW whenever they still rewarded you with points for voting.
RawB [2276594]
lol i remember when. all u. could do on torn was commi tcrimes raise. stats. and. attack. i literally just. signed. up here hour ago and im impressed with how far its come
TheInternet [2052645]
Found torn through a hacking simulation game I am having trouble remembering the name of. Not to old of a Torn player so the game wasnt too old.
Sepulchrave [2092631]
ArcticMud (mud.arctic.org) Played on and off for over 20 years.
It's deep, dark and wide. And long, I suppose....
Made every other text-based game I tried seem like crap.*
Had to stop because I would simply disappear for days and weeks on end, but I go back once a year for a five-to-seven day visit.

*I don't include Torn as a text-based game because it's evolved far beyond the constraints of text.
Think Christmas Town for example...and easter eggs. It's a text-and-mostly-static-image-based game.

BTW - if you want to try Arctic you'll need a mud client...and the willingness to write easy little scripts.
Lenin [2199004]
After joining Torn it actually reminded me enough of Neopets that I started playing it again after a 15 year haitus

It's perfect because both games are full of short timers that deprive me of sleep and fun
DammitArcher [2036722]
MUSHClient FTW.

Tried ArcticMud, way back in the day. Don't think I stayed long.  Didn't hook me quite as hard as Daedal Macabre did, even when I wanted so badly to find a new/different MUD to enjoy. :-/