So I know some forms of scamming like buy mugging or the vico/xan scam are completely legal in torn, just looked down upon by some which makes sense with the general theme of torn. And from what I've seen the usual tricking people into giving money type scams are also allowed, but to what extent does that go? I had a guy try and convince me that he is actually a lvl 40 something player that has started a new account that's over a 100 days old yet still somehow has barely any awards/networth, and I should sell my company to him. It was a good laugh, but I was curious if that sort of scamming is actually legal in torn or not?
Scamming
Started by Arata [2184520] on in Questions & Answers.
About this thread
Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 10
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 7
- Likes on archived posts
- 5
- Authority score
- 58 / 100
- Historical score
- 17 / 100
- Story score
- 30 / 100
- Engagement score
- 53 / 100
That is impersonation and a bannable offence
Edit: Sorry I didn't read it carefully the first time.
I guess it is absolutely legal If they claim to be a clean restart. But if they meant they currently have access to the lvl 40 account, or, that they somehow transferred funds from the old account then that will be bannable.
Edit: Sorry I didn't read it carefully the first time.
I guess it is absolutely legal If they claim to be a clean restart. But if they meant they currently have access to the lvl 40 account, or, that they somehow transferred funds from the old account then that will be bannable.
In my opinion that sort is scamming is not legal due to the fact that the scammer openly admits to being a multi and/or impersonation. In your words "...and convince me that he is actually a lvl 40 something player that has started a new account..."
I mean ofc he could just be a restart in which there are no multi account problem which does make it legal in Torn.
Edit: got ninja'd while writing my post rip
I mean ofc he could just be a restart in which there are no multi account problem which does make it legal in Torn.
Edit: got ninja'd while writing my post rip
He claims that its a restart account, I did think that him being a multi is a distinct possibility however I don't really have any proof so I didn't bother reporting.
Is that if the person is impersonating a specific player or just in general? Scammer in question just claims to be some level 40 player no one specific
dbl
If they're impersonating someone to get account details then it's bannable
I'd still report them for multi activity, they may have successfully scammed other accounts and been dumb enough to filter all the money back into a main, you never know.
At the very least the chat logs are easily checked and the hunter would probably catch him eventually
I'd still report them for multi activity, they may have successfully scammed other accounts and been dumb enough to filter all the money back into a main, you never know.
At the very least the chat logs are easily checked and the hunter would probably catch him eventually
If a player claims to be another account then report it.
I guess I don't see the scam here. He says he wants to buy your company. So, if you are interested in selling, you agree to a price and do the deal, or if not, you say now. If you agree, then he joins the company, then you do a trade, the money gets added on his side and the company on yours. If he doesn't add the money, you simply don't do the trade.
I agree with Baldr, this is not a scam based strictly on what OP told us. However, it's very possible that it was in fact a multi account, and it's also possible that they might have dirty money and hence it would perhaps not be advisable to trade with them. But they could also be totally legit, a restart who got some money from a friend for instance.