I've been reading some guides, and it seems recommended to get the honors/medals associated with what I believe to be failing crimes before going on to build your nerve up. (They only mention that it might be an option to pursue a path that would lose nerve for the merits.)
The guides that I read didn't mention what I need to do, and I've looked through the wiki and don't seem to find any achievements related to failing crimes.
For example, though, drug crimes slow down crime experience growth because there are no safe drug crimes, which is why some people do them at 35nnb~ or so, then afterwards only do safe crimes.
I don't remember there being any award for failing crimes. There is, however, a suggestion that players do the dangerous drug crimes for their awards earlier in their game so they NNB and CE don't suffer too much. https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=61&t=16030860&b=0&a=0
Yeah, I definitely agree you need to do the 8N drug crimes at 35N or lower if you are going to do them at all. The guide linked to is really useful in terms of set up - education, completed careers and merit spends etc so if you are going to take these crimes on then then follow that guide's instruction for preparation.
Your only question to yourself then is do you think all those Jail reds are worth the 9 merits you can obtain by completing the 10,000 drug crimes required.
Depending on your level of activity this will take 10 -18months.
That's correct, 11 months for me to complete, with some extra nerve from faction upgrades and a daily nerve refill.
I'd also recommend getting the Federal Judge perk completed (Law city job, +10% crime success) and the advanced driving tactics crime enhancer to help avoid getting as many reds.
That's kinda my plan. I think it would probably be easier once I'm well-established. Maybe then I can use boosters and the enhancer at that point instead of slogging through it while I lowbie.
The guide linked above was easily interesting in which merits are low-hanging fruit to boost me along. I think scooping those up may be far more beneficial than backtracking later on.