Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Occupations

Started by Klashnekoff [498900] on in General Discussion.

186 replies · 2.32k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 187 / 187 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
187
Discussion span
→
Authority score
62 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
84 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Klashnekoff [498900]
I’m interested to see what sort of jobs people hold down in real life.

For me I manage an electrical store and work as a part time voluntary police officer.
Andyman [471591]
Intelligence for an insurance company. Not as exciting as it sounds.

I also do accounting work for a small nonprofit that builds homes for extremely impoverished individuals in 3rd world countries, do personal tax work, and occasionally manual labor type jobs locally. (Stump removal, mulch church flower beds, mow graveyards, etc.)
Andyman [471591]
30% of my job is just reconciling premiums and making sure the respective commissions got paid correctly. Health insurance is the f'ing wild west here in the US, a lot of room for error.
The-Wiz [1870366]
Right now I work as a PCB tech (printed circuit boards) Its just the owner and I so I basically run the whole process. I dont get paid enough though so im leaving 2020

[image: i.ibb.co]

This is one of our surface mount boards, very tiny. Thats my pinky in the picture.

[image: i.ibb.co]Click for GIF this is our industrial wave solder machine and washer for our bigger through hole PCBs
The-Wiz [1870366]
i mean its all based on income here. Having a baby costs money, unless your household makes 35g a year (like us) then it was totally free. An ambulance ride always costs money. I have a friend who needs constant mdication for some sort of genetic kidney disease, she is trapped in a job refusing promotion because she would lose coverage for her needed medication (which is very expensive) so the current system is KEEPING her poor to qualify for the benefits.

Edit: I dont wanna hijack the thread into a conversation about the health care system XD
Nobody [237547]
It's not as costly as it looks like. I read something written by someone who works in the "bills-or-whatever" department of a hospital, and they always give a suggested bill that the patient can easily lower. There are high price maximums (by law) for many medical services, but the bill is a suggested price and not a final price. Most, if not all bills have items above what is legal, but they are free to suggest whatever price they want. I also know of a guy who simply said he had no health insurance and could not afford the bill, they cut his bill by somewhere around 90% just from that.

On topic, I am en electrician.