Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Joe Chedburn

Started by Krastinov [1542326] on in General Discussion.

50 replies · 3.9k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 51 / 51 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
51
Discussion span
→
Authority score
39 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
73 / 100
Engagement score
80 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Chedburn [1] ×1 Quacks [2] ×1

Krastinov [1542326]
Hi, i wanted to make a thread about the Man we all have to thank for so many years of happy gameplaying so i started to Google to read up some infos on him, as i wanted to know a bit more about the Person behind the scenes. And just to clear this from the beginning, this Thread is either meant Sarcastic or Ironic in any way. Quite the opposite actually it's meant more as a tribute.

But we know so little about him.

I suspect he is a little older then me from the fotos in his profile, at least it seems that way, could be wrong. But where does he live what nationality is he, when did this idea TORN start in his head ? So many Questions.

Then whilst i researched further i found this huge Newspaper article "The Telegraph" on the Man himself and i was absolutely flabbergasted !

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6264082/21-year-old-computer-geek-makes-1m-with-online-game.html

So taking the News article into consideration, i don't think that the Fotos in his profile are of himself, but maybe his Architect Dad. And he cant be that old either since the article is from 06 Oct 2009 where he was 20, so he is about 31 now. I even found a Foto of him at linked in but i will not Post this as it's not right. But he looks like a good lad.

One of my favourite lines in the article was Joe claims the game is about "meeting people" not committing crimes and revealed one couple have even married because of Torn.

Anyway i found all this very interesting, and knowing a bit more about this man gives me a different view on many things. Specially since he is a South England Kid and i lived in Bournemouth from 1971-1974 before moving to Eastbourne.


Discussion; What did you think Joe Chedburn was like, did it surprise you that he is alot younger then you might have guessed and has this thread been helpful to see him from a different angle ?


Thankyou for any Feedback, yours truly Kras :)
BaronVonDude [2169790]
Young bastard, with an awesome game for us other bastards

Even gave us a counter for how much of our lives are on torn. Bastard <3
CoolguyRuler [2183404]
Old people have an extremely hard time figuring out technology, My grandfather constantly screws up his phone (often by putting it into airplane mode) and doesn't know how to fix it.

Not saying that an old person can't be a tech wiz, but it's more than likely that a nerdy youth would develop something like torn.
-BC-M16 [1002535]
I heard Joe did a bit of drug dealing in real life and used the proceeds from that to fund torn at the start.
Stormcast [773244]
Having met Ched and put away a few sherbets with him and his family, I can honestly say he is a decent chap with a decent family
Krastinov [1542326]
yeah i got u on this. generally speaking u r right. i taught my mum how to use a laptop and go online to beat her loneliness at 75, she lived another 15 years and had real fun and even did things in photoshop. one just has to be more patient, alot more patient lol. bless her
SkinnyPeen [2176021]
I'd like to think that if any of us ever turned up to Chedburn Towers, ole Ched would get a couple of pizzas and booze in, good work Kras, I am one step closer to achieving a chicagobear and chill at cheds
Ahab [1735214]
Same dude that a newspaper took a photo with his gf/wife, that looked like a prom picture to be honest lol
Brakier [2095393]
his an 88, same age as me :>

the thing that has affected me the most about him is his understanding of human physology impact of his changes

he talk about subconscious behaviour patterns and such and the dangers to it.

thats far deeper then i first anticipated a game like this had to look before they make changes live, but ye it makes sense that it is something you have to keep in mind. kinda like butterfly effects
LittleSnitch [941576]
>But where does he live what nationality is he, when did this idea TORN start in his head ?
Chedburn is from Somerset, England, and he wanted to make online games himself in 2004 already when he was still 15-16 and it is nicely shown in this thread where daphne dug out some of his forum posts from 2004: Bit of nostalgic inspiration...

[image: i.gyazo.com]


As he said himself later in the thread:
Chedburn [1]It was the raw ambition / passion, I remember it being overpowering, it was awesome. I was having the most fun I could possibly have doing what I was doing at that moment in time. For me, it was the most exciting thing I've ever known of. Of course, I don't have it to that crazy extent anymore - like a child at Disney land - there's no way to maintain that. But, it does come back frequently at differing levels when designing new updates, and I can't see myself ever losing it.

Education wasn't for me at all (I dropped out of IT college, I found it pointless), even those books I ordered were of little help really. I just did exactly what I wanted to do, and researched how to do specific things online until something came in to existence. If I remember correctly, the first thing I ever coded (in PHP / SQL) was Torn's gym system.

Edit: If you want to be a good programmer, education is the only way imo. if you want to create something, you need to have that crazy passion.
But since you asked where the idea for TORN came from, it was actully a high school project for Quacks [2] who lives in Canada and he went on-line to get some help with it and that's where he met Ched around 2005 and that's how it all began! Most of the players from alpha and beta, and ones with very low IDs currently were people that Ched and Quacks knew IRL, going as far as a married couple who used to babysit Quacks when he was a child (all for building up your player base ). They were co-leaders for some years and then Quacks left after some time and it has been Chedburn's project ever since.

That article you linked was big news on the Torn forums in 2009 because the game we all loved and played kind of "made it big" by being featured in an article by UK's most well-known newspaper. :) (and then again in 2014 when Theresa May's home office workers were caught playing it: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/violent-game-hit-home-office-18745744 lol).
I am now finally around the age that Ched was when that article was released and back then I considered being 20 years old is quite mature -- only now do I realize how young you still really are at that age and the fact that he led the whole game and community almost single-handedly for many years in his late teens and early 20s is really impressive and respectable.

I also always wondered how he looks like, but the fact it took me almost 10 years to finally see a photo of him made his whole character even more mysterious and intriguing to me. He had used Dr. Evil from Austin Powers as his online moniker for so long and had this as his signature:
[image: profileimages.torn.com]
so I always imagined he looked something like that! I still sometimes do. Too bad he dropped this sig

Mentions: Chedburn [1] · Quacks [2] · Bit of nostalgic inspiration... · Oldest player in Torn?

dunmugmeh [538353]
Game developers have always been young. A lot of people who develope games are in their 20s. This goes for all gaming, a lot of the people who create the games we all play are young ie the xbox/playstation/pc games.

The gaming industry has been around for quite some time now, so there will be some 'knackered old goats' producing games now. But they will have a team of young people helping them.
Ahab [1735214]
Cause they can abuse the shit out of em with long hours and crap pay while they just sit there and take it xD
joei [2474002]
i don't need to think. i have known the wonderful guy half my life even on his vacation to my country. we still talk to this day and i gotta say he do be gettin them hoes